300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits of education in LE

I have a few questions regarding education. I have a BS in a field not related to LE. I was contemplating working on another degree related to LE before I finish my military career and attempt to join the LEO ranks. Is there a significant advantage to having a degree in LE? In the military there is the obvious officer/enlisted separation. Is there a similar scenario in the LE community? I’m enlisted in the military and have noticed a big advantage ($$$$$$$$) in having a degree while serving. I am contemplating getting a degree in criminal justice vs. a Master’s degree in my field of work. The Master’s would be in the General Management Option from a aviation related background. I have five daughters and a merriage to support, so i hope that all the late night studying will pay off eventually while doing something i actually enjoy. I know that a degree does not make a better LEO, so this is more of a pay/advancement issue.Thanks in advance.
    Thank you to all that serve.

For LE a degree is just a box to be checked. One major is just as good as any other. You have the degree and military time, you'll be fine. If you must keep going to school, I'd suggest getting the advanced degree. Some agencies limit how much rank you can achieve by how much education you have. It would be horrible to be stuck at Captain only because you lack the Master's Degree, especially if you are capable of doing the work of a Major. Some states also give an education incentive. Once you have a Bachelor's degree you won't receive any more money for a second one, but if you have the Master's you will.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Benefits of Education

Originally posted by rusty57 View Post
      I have a few questions regarding education. I have a BS in a field not related to LE. I was contemplating working on another degree related to LE before I finish my military career and attempt to join the LEO ranks. Is there a significant advantage to having a degree in LE? In the military there is the obvious officer/enlisted separation. Is there a similar scenario in the LE community? I’m enlisted in the military and have noticed a big advantage ($$$$$$$$) in having a degree while serving. I am contemplating getting a degree in criminal justice vs. a Master’s degree in my field of work. The Master’s would be in the General Management Option from a aviation related background. I have five daughters and a merriage to support, so i hope that all the late night studying will pay off eventually while doing something i actually enjoy. I know that a degree does not make a better LEO, so this is more of a pay/advancement issue.Thanks in advance.
      A lot of guys will tell you, that any degree except one in Criminal Justice is what you'll need. Some truth in that. Basically, any Liberal Arts degree can be of help to you in a LE career. Keep in mind though, that degree or not, you'll have to be successful in all phases of the hiring process. That means you'll have to test well. A degree in Business Adminstration, Government,etc is just as good as any in CJ, or Police Adminstration. Don't settle for some BS degree in something like "Aids Awareness",History of Basketball, etc. They will be worse than useless.

Comment

Having a degree is very helpful in getting promoted. And in fact, in my dept, it's basically a requirement for making Sgt or Lt, and then a masters degree for Captain or anything. Without it it's harder to get the promotion. And you definitely earn more each month with a bachelors, and even more with a masters.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I will presson with the advance degree in management. I have started the process for the California Highway Patrol. I passed the written, physical, and a couple other exams. i also passed the oral board (QAP) and made it to backgrounds. I have 2 more years in my military enlistment, so i have been given a waiver to continue as I near my separation date from the military. I really would like to be a CHP Officer, but will go through the hiring process with other agencies. I hope to someday join the ranks of LE with or without an advance degree. Thanks again for the feedback, this forum is a wealth of information.
          Thank you to all that serve.

Comment

Whatever degree you have is fine. Do not waste your money on a CJ degree. And please do not waste your money on a CJ Master's Degree as I have done. If you feel like you need to futher your education, do something different for a master's, not the same as your BS or become fluent in a foreign language. The foreign language is the route that I would suggest.

I have a Masters in CJ and get paid the exact same every 2 weeks as other officers do without a degree at all. My boss has a freaking GED! Believe that?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5555 users online. 341 members and 5214 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X