Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Railroad Special Agent (UP, CSX, NS, etc) -- UPTP?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railroad Special Agent (UP, CSX, NS, etc) -- UPTP?

Curious --

I understand Railroad Police/Special Agent's are Private Corporate Police, with Federal Jurisdiction. I also understand they only hire people who are already LE, as they do not put you through an academy.

My question.. what is their requirements for training? With it being a private entity, I didn't know if the commission standards were the same as their state they operate in, or if they had flexibility.

Would UPTP be applicable since they have a federal commission -- or does the training have to meet the Commission Standards of the state you work within?

Norfolk Southern for example states under Licenses/Certifications required --
    - Certified Law Enforcement Officer
    - Commissioned Law Enforcement Officer

But mentions a predecessor job as being Municipal or Military Police, which made me wonder if UPTP would be applicable.

They almost always require certification and training in the state where the vacancy is. Also be aware, that although the pay is great,and the retirement is as well, you cannot retire until you do 30 years and are age 60. If you can’t do thirty years you must work until your max Social Security retirement age. Fyi

Comment

• boconnor
      boconnor commented
      Editing a comment
      Where are you getting the 30 and 60? I'm former railroad and I'm unsure what your referring to about 30/60.

• Wentwestco
      Wentwestco commented
      Editing a comment
      It is from the railroad retirement board. I am retired Railroad. Go to rrb.gov. To get full retirement you must have 360 months service. You may retire at age 60 at the earliest if you have 30 years. If you have less than 30 years, you do not get health benefits in retirement either.

Decided I know you are with Amtrak -- is it the same with them? Do some states only require officers to have UPTP?

Comment

I know Amtrak wants state certifications now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagger3939 View Post
        Curious --

I understand Railroad Police/Special Agent's are Private Corporate Police, with Federal Jurisdiction. I also understand they only hire people who are already LE, as they do not put you through an academy.

My question.. what is their requirements for training? With it being a private entity, I didn't know if the commission standards were the same as their state they operate in, or if they had flexibility.

Would UPTP be applicable since they have a federal commission -- or does the training have to meet the Commission Standards of the state you work within?

Norfolk Southern for example states under Licenses/Certifications required --
        - Certified Law Enforcement Officer
        - Commissioned Law Enforcement Officer

But mentions a predecessor job as being Municipal or Military Police, which made me wonder if UPTP would be applicable.
        Firstly, forget what you understand and read 49 U.S. Code § 28101 and 49 U.S. Code § 24305 (e). Railroad Police do not have true federal jurisdiction. Amtrak works slightly differently then other railroad police agencies in that it is owned by the US Government and is not a true private entity. Amtrak also has additional privileges such as being covered under LEOSA, which private railroad police agencies aren't.

As far as academy's for railroad police to receive a police commission, it all depends on the state. Some states will take FLETC's UPTP (New Jersey is one example), some will not (New York wants you to have an in-state academy) and some will take UPTP with additional in-service training (California.)

Your best bet would be to contact Norfolk Southern and see if whatever experience/training you have would be acceptable. Depending on what state you would be working in, UPTP may be acceptable.

Originally posted by DCFED View Post
        I know Amtrak wants state certifications now.
        Amtrak doesn't seem to care what training you have as long as the state will accept it for commissioning. Plenty of recent hires have attended FLETC.
        Last edited by Decided; 07-31-2020, 06:48 PM.
        Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

The freight railroads will require you to have your state certificate prior to accepting you for employment.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5619 users online. 362 members and 5257 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X