300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cultural diversity encouraged?

I was just kind of curious about this issue and thought I'd post this question. I have been researching different LE agencies but someone that I know, indicated that if I wish to join LE, then I should try states like CA or TX, where the community is much more ethnically diverse. I am Asian and have been given the impression that if I try states which are primarily white, then I am going to get screwed. This, I was told, would also be applicable if I joined a police agency which was really small.

By the way, this "advice" was given to me by someone who is not an LEO. I thought I'd post this here and see what real LEOs might have to say about this.

Thanks

Originally posted by wildestkabs View Post
    I am Asian and have been given the impression that if I try states which are primarily white, then I am going to get screwed. This, I was told, would also be applicable if I joined a police agency which was really small.

By the way, this "advice" was given to me by someone who is not an LEO. I thought I'd post this here and see what real LEOs might have to say about this.

Thanks
    The "advice" you were given was worth about the price you paid for it-$0.00. I've been in LE for over thirty years (in So. CA) and I won't tell you the isms (racism, sexism, whateverism...) doesn't exist, but as long as you're working with members of the human race, some people will accept you and some won't. Law enforcement personnel (in general) are some of the most willing to accept people based upon their personal qualities (work ethic, honesty, bravery, professionalism, etc...) of anyone I've know in my 50+ years of life. What they don't like is people who claim special rights due to past wrongs. They like officers who want to be accepted for who they are (insert big period here). Yes there are always a few blockheads, but they are a minority. I remember working for a small (about 24 sworn) agency in the begining of my career (mid-seventies) and seeing the first black officer hired in an all white and hispanic agency. He was hired due to his personal qualities, not because of unrealistic "goals." This guy was loved, admired and trusted by even officers with (dinosaur) attitudes because of his abilities. He rose very quickly among his peers to detective, sgt and lt because of who he was. When he died (prematurely due to heart problems), there wasn't a dry eye on the dept.

If you decide to go into this career, do so with an attitude that you will be judged by your abilities and faults and will judge others in your field the same way. You won't be disappointed. By the way, looking at the lineup of officers in service tonight at my agency, I note:
    6 M/Ws, 1 F/W, 2 M/As, 2 M/Hs.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
      The "advice" you were given was worth about the price you paid for it-$0.00. I've been in LE for over thirty years (in So. CA) and I won't tell you the isms (racism, sexism, whateverism...) doesn't exist, but as long as you're working with members of the human race, some people will accept you and some won't. Law enforcement personnel (in general) are some of the most willing to accept people based upon their personal qualities (work ethic, honesty, bravery, professionalism, etc...) of anyone I've know in my 50+ years of life. What they don't like is people who claim special rights due to past wrongs. They like officers who want to be accepted for who they are (insert big period here). Yes there are always a few blockheads, but they are a minority. I remember working for a small (about 24 sworn) agency in the begining of my career (mid-seventies) and seeing the first black officer hired in an all white and hispanic agency. He was hired due to his personal qualities, not because of unrealistic "goals." This guy was loved, admired and trusted by even officers with (dinosaur) attitudes because of his abilities. He rose very quickly among his peers to detective, sgt and lt because of who he was. When he died (prematurely due to heart problems), there wasn't a dry eye on the dept.

If you decide to go into this career, do so with an attitude that you will be judged by your abilities and faults and will judge others in your field the same way. You won't be disappointed. By the way, looking at the lineup of officers in service tonight at my agency, I note:

Beautifully said, Pulicords...
      "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

^^^ Ditto, sound words.
        The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post

Pulicord's post X-2. Plus this. Here's what you do. Research the agency(s) which interest you. Determine that you meet the basic requirements. Then, apply, and start through the hiring process. Do your best through each phase of the process. If you don't make it on the first attempt, try again. My personal take on diversity is this. You have what it takes to be selected, you make it through the Academy and FTO, you've pretty well indicated to me ,that you might just be a pretty fair cop down the line. Notice I didn't say Black cop, Hispanic Cop, Asian Cop,Female cop, I just said cop.

Comment

I'm another old cop (started in '71). What pulicords said is right on the money. I make the hiring decisions for my division, and race plays absolutely no part what-so-ever. As PhilipCal said, I'm looking for candidates that will make good cops - period.
            Last edited by S.O.4; 05-29-2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Wise words have already been spoken to you, and they are right.

You're selling yourself short right off the bat here - you're not looking for a job as an Asian cop, you're looking for a job as a cop.

BTW, I live in WI and there's plenty of diversity in the PD I'm trying to get hired at - not that I noticed until I had to think about it.

If you were to ask me I'd say there's 108 cops there, that's it. I don't feel the need to point out what anyone's race is, and neither should you.
              For every one hundred men you send us,
              Ten should not even be here.
              Eighty are nothing but targets.
              Nine of them are real fighters;
              We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
              Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
              And he will bring the others back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5677 users online. 304 members and 5373 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X