300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all.

I often get too excited to go out and run a ton despite not being in top shape, which results in me burning through my legs. What advice would you have for someone whose PT test will depend the most on the 1.5 mile? I was scoring between 11-13 before the long run when I practiced the test but failed out on the run in my self-administered tests.

I am excited to get back at it. Hope this message finds you all well.

Comment

• DM206
      DM206 commented
      Editing a comment
      My advice...build gradually and intentionally. And take care of your legs...stretch and roll regularly, warm up, and cross-train to avoid stress injuries. Do a combination of different distances/intervals to change out your workouts, adding to the total distance per week over time. You'll notice your conditioning improve rapidly.

• jkufen
      jkufen commented
      Editing a comment
      Hit it everyday. Hard everyday like the future of your fed career depends on it (cause it does). Stay dedicated and disciplined. Workout wise I break my days up. One day is sit-ups and push-ups. Next day cardio. Rinse and repeat. Stay away from treadmill. Outside running I do a mile run twice a week. In the mile I will jog the curves sprint the straight aways. On the other days I go for a distance run (started at 1.5 miles and have worked myself up to about 3.5 miles). If you can’t run outside substitute it with row machine, air bike and combo of CrossFit style circuit training. Get your heart rate up to about 70% or higher and keep it long as you can. I started this process at 280 pounds. My first test was barely a 12, i actually passed out while running but I was determined and passed. Now I’m 70ish pounds lighter and instead of just trying to pass I’m trying to get myself up to the 20 point range. Stick with it you’ll get there.

• ZH97
      ZH97 commented
      Editing a comment
      To add to these: You obviously do not want to develop any injuries (e.g. stress fractures). You can avoid injury and increase your volume of training by cross training. I’m a big fan of the stationary bike. I’ve seen a lot of improvement by doing hard intervals on the bike, and it doesn’t take too long either (for example, 30 minutes of 30s hard, 30s easy).

• Well was hoping by the end of January I would receive word for the March academy but nothing yet
    Last edited by jkufen; 01-25-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• jkufen and DM206
      Thank you for your insight. In the past I would wait for "my perfect routine" to get started. Now, I am looking to run 3 times a week with bodyweight circuits and cross-training (either cycling or swimming, I enjoy both) intermixed and go from there. I will look to use the treadmill less and gradually build mileage.

Due to no LE background, I got caught up in "becoming somebody" and "having everything figured out" in terms of when to arrest, things to remember in hypothetical situations, etc., to have a shot at federal LE. My program director promptly set me straight that if I ever was to get into this career, the training will teach me everything I need to know (along with on-the job training/supervisors).

Thanks again. Wish you (all) the best with the process.

Comment

• jkufen
        jkufen commented
        Editing a comment
        You got this

• Just had by BI interview. I’m never traveling again lol.

Comment

• greatness33
        greatness33 commented
        Editing a comment
        That bad lol

• ZH97
        ZH97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang. I’m 23 but I went on a lot on vacations with my family when I was a kid. It was a pain sorting it all out for the e-QIP. I’m hoping it won’t be too big of a deal when I get around to my BI interview.
        Last edited by ZH97; 01-27-2021, 03:45 PM.

• dark321
        dark321 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had another agency BG investigation where they asked me why I went to a middle eastern country in 1993. I was born in 1989.

I was like uh...

• Took polygraph today, any idea on when you find out if you passed or failed? I’ve heard if you failed you’re told immediately and that a longer delay in an answer is good news. Is this accurate?

Comment

• Boozer1357
        Boozer1357 commented
        Editing a comment
        SPR, did you have to take a second polygraph?

• Spr5088
        Spr5088 commented
        Editing a comment
        No I didn’t.

• Boozer1357
        Boozer1357 commented
        Editing a comment
        Received the email yesterday about passing polygraph and was asked to fill out medical forms. Was told psych would happen sometime this month. Thankfully only have psych and medical left and I’m complete with the process. Is there a time line for how long it takes to receive an answer from the hiring panel about a hiring decision after completing all the steps?

• Spr5088
        Spr5088 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just like anything else in this process, it’s nearly impossible to identify a timeline... any time between 1 week and 18 months ....? Personally, my background was completed and submitted about 4 weeks before I got the call that they approved me

• Originally posted by dk_wsmg View Post
      jkufen and DM206
      Thank you for your insight. In the past I would wait for "my perfect routine" to get started. Now, I am looking to run 3 times a week with bodyweight circuits and cross-training (either cycling or swimming, I enjoy both) intermixed and go from there. I will look to use the treadmill less and gradually build mileage.

Due to no LE background, I got caught up in "becoming somebody" and "having everything figured out" in terms of when to arrest, things to remember in hypothetical situations, etc., to have a shot at federal LE. My program director promptly set me straight that if I ever was to get into this career, the training will teach me everything I need to know (along with on-the job training/supervisors).

Thanks again. Wish you (all) the best with the process.
      Yea, best to not learn bad habits. You’ve got a lot way before you’re arresting anyone- and that’s ok. Tactics are learnable.

Comment

• All, I am new to the forum, I have completed everything how long after you complete the entire process do you hear the final yes or no and get an academy assignment. I did my final step on 12/31/20.

Comment

• I recently had the good fortune of interviewing legendary undercover agent Robert Mazur (retired). He is the author of the book, "The Infiltrator," with a movie by the same name (starring Bryan Cranston). His work to take down a corrupt bank and put 75+ people in jail (both narcos & corrupt bank officials) is above and beyond the call of duty.

After the take-down, Mr. Mazur went on to join the DEA where he setup their long-term undercover program.

https://www.specialagents.org/

-SA Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by ZH97 View Post
            To add to these: You obviously do not want to develop any injuries (e.g. stress fractures). You can avoid injury and increase your volume of training by cross training. I’m a big fan of the stationary bike. I’ve seen a lot of improvement by doing hard intervals on the bike, and it doesn’t take too long either (for example, 30 minutes of 30s hard, 30s easy).
            Thanks for the tip. It looks like biking, swimming, and rowing are my go-to cross-training. Seriously appreciate the advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by HSIApplicant View Post

Yea, best to not learn bad habits. You’ve got a lot way before you’re arresting anyone- and that’s ok. Tactics are learnable.
              Your last sentence is a good reminder. What applicant has it all figured out before Day 1 of training (Or in my case, someone who hasn't even applied to their local recruiting agent)? No one. Thanks again.

Comment

• Anyone have any word if there is going to be a March academy? I have heard next one may not be until May. Hoping there is a March one. I am done with the process just waiting on that call.

Comment

• Spr5088
                  Spr5088 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn’t told the start date, just that I was in the running for the ‘March class’

• Police1234
                  Police1234 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. Did your recruiter call or another person?

• Spr5088
                  Spr5088 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Recruiter called

• Police1234
                  Police1234 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have you heard anymore on your March academy status?

• Spr5088 Police1234 do you all mind posting your timelines?

Comment

• Spr5088
                  Spr5088 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  written/panel/PT- august 2019
                  Equip- November 2019
                  Background started- Jan 2020
                  Polygraph- February 2020
                  Medical- April 2020
                  Psych- July 2020
                  Background finished- January 2021

• I have a question about the medical evaluation. I’m well into the application process - passed the PT test, written test, interview, and submitted the e-QIP. I have very mild asthma. It doesn’t affect me in day-to-day life and I can do workouts just fine. The PFT wasn’t an issue either and I scored a 37/40. However, I know that asthma is an automatic disqualification for all branches of the military. I guess it’s a little late to ask now, but would this condition (however minor) disqualify me from the DEA, even if I am able to comfortably pass all physical tests?

Comment

• Crb74rhs
                  Crb74rhs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Levithane, would you mind if I pm'd you? I have a question that you could possibly answer.

• Levithane
                  Levithane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Crb74rhs Go ahead. If its a DEA question I'm not an agent, so I wouldn't be able to tell you anything of that nature. If its BI related I more than likely have an answer.

• ZH97
                  ZH97 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Epicthrower Haha thanks but no, absolutely not a "world-class" athlete. However, I'm 23, I ran track in high school and college, and I really like to do push-ups, so the PFT happens to play to my athletic strengths. But at my age, with no military or LE experience, I need whatever advantage I can get to have a chance at getting into the DEA.

• WannabeAgent
                  WannabeAgent commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your PT scores and your medicals are totally seperate. They don't share your PT scores with the doctor who must sign off on your medical clearance. Totally unrelated and irrelevant of each other.

• I was just notified that I will be taking the polygraph in early March. Never taken a polygraph before so this should be interesting.

9/2020 - submit application
                10/2020 - PTT
                11/2020 - written exam
                12/2020 - panel interview
                12/2020 - COL
                1/2021 - e-QIP
                3/2021 - polygraph scheduled

Comment

• Police1234
                  Police1234 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good deal you’re moving quick. I applied in 11/2018.

• ZH97
                  ZH97 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Police1234 dang, that is really tough. But at least you've made it through all the steps. I am certainly appreciative of how quickly I am moving so far, but I know it could grind to a halt at any moment now that I'm in the BI phase.

• Police1234
                  Police1234 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My BI went pretty quickly. I am just hoping now that everything is done I land a final offer/academy soon. Life is kind of on hold for it.

• Question #1 : For those who are agents, have you seen folks come over from the Border Patrol? I am considering applying as a way to get my foot in the door, due to being a bilingual American.

Question #2: Any other opportunities that I may be overlooking? I am exploring LE positions I could get myself into with my Spanish. BP makes the most sense to me, but perhaps I am missing other opportunities in local PDs or at the state level? I am finishing up my M.S. in Criminal Justice. I know that there is a slim chance to get in right after school, but I don't want to put all my eggs in that basket.

Comment

• WannabeAgent
                  WannabeAgent commented
                  Editing a comment
                  dk_wsmg BP is an awesome way to get your foot in the door no doubt, its a fun job too. BP was my first fed agency of several and it was also one of my funnest. Apply any and everywhere, don't ever tell yourself no, let that come from someone else.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6955 users online. 379 members and 6576 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X