Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started a whatsapp chat for ba229 if you wanna join just shoot me your number 

Comment

• Hey all, I'm a first time poster. Here is my timeline:

May 2019: Applied
      September 2019: Passed written, interview, and PTT test
      September 2019: COL
      February 2020: Submitted eQIP
      October 2020: Passed Polygraph
      November 2020: Re-submitted eQIP
      November 2020: Received notice that background investigation began
      December 2020: Completed Written Psych
      December 2020: Completed Psych Interview
      January 2021: Medical Screening scheduled

I'm nearing the end of the process and for those of you at the end, how long did it take for your background investigation to be completed? I talked to my recruiter last month who made it seem like it could be up to another year until completion since my BI just started, and it takes time to grant the security clearances needed to attend the academy.

Comment

• Spr5088
        Spr5088 commented
        Editing a comment
        A year sounds about right. For what it’s worth, my background started almost a year ago to date. My investigator called me last week to finalize everything before they submit it, but it will be even longer because DEA has to review it and decide whether or not to adjudicate me. I imagine with how backed up everyone is, a year would probably be pretty accurate.

• nonotnow
        nonotnow commented
        Editing a comment
        A year at least. Similar timline and took me a year.

• I’ll have been in process for about 3 years (I applied to an older then new announcement). Would be a bummer if BI took a year without an interim clearance.

Comment

• porkchop23
        porkchop23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jorgemal1030, given my understanding that one agency cannot begin a background check when another agency already has one pending (this could be incorrect), couldn't a possible scenario exist where your last choice agency is speedy about paperwork and "ties you up" in this way, while your top choice agency is not allowed to begin its background check while the other agency is still pending? Thus, you could wind up with an ultimate offer with your last choice faster than your first choice, if your last choice agency happens to be more prompt about paperwork? I ask because, while DEA is probably my first choice, I have heard nothing from them, while other agencies have been much more responsive about moving me through the process and I'm sad about potentially subjecting myself to no man's land with the DEA while the other agencies finish what they have already started.

• WannabeAgent
        WannabeAgent commented
        Editing a comment
        porkchop23 If one agency picks you up, nothing will stop another agency of finishing their process with you and could pick you up later. Just because you go with one agency doesn't mean that's where you have to stay. People come and go all the time. Never pass up an opportunity because you're waiting for something else to come through. What you're waiting for may never come through.

• porkchop23
        porkchop23 commented
        Editing a comment
        WannabeAgent, thank you for responding. Perhaps my original question was unclear. What I was trying to ask was this: is it possible that background checks from different agencies take place simultaneously?

• Levithane
        Levithane commented
        Editing a comment
        porkchop23 They aren't supposed to run two simultaneously. Granted my claim doesn't always hold true, but generally anything OPM (previously) and DOD (current) doesn't run at the same time. References get irritated being interviewed by 2 investigators for the same person, and someone being the in the eqip system twice at the same time increases the backlog.

• 9/2020 - Applied
      10/2020 - Passed PTT
      11/2020 - Passed Written Test
      12/2020 - Passed Panel Interview
      12/2020 - Received/Submitted documents for COL
      1/2021 - Received e-QIP

Questions about the e-QIP. I apologize if these have been answered before or if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

For the "Cohabitant" portion, it asks for non-spouse, non-roommate people with whom you live and share bonds of affection, obligation, or other commitment. Would this include relatives (e.g. a sibling) with whom you live?

For the "Foreign Travel" portion: I am 23 years old, so the last 10-years goes back to when I was 13 years old. I lived with my family and went on vacations with them, but it may be difficult to find the exact dates that I was in different countries. Would this be a serious issue on the e-QIP? Thanks!

Comment

• NYC1175
        NYC1175 commented
        Editing a comment
        ZH97, I had this same question clarified with another agency I applied with. siblings, parents, and other relatives are NOT cohabitants. No need to list them. For the foreign travel, I put general dates that were close to what I can recall. The agent doing my security interview was ok with it, but I can't say if every agency is the same.

• ZH97
        ZH97 commented
        Editing a comment
        NYC1175 Thanks a lot! I assume it would be pretty similar between agencies. I appreciate the quick response.

• Medical emailed me the other day asking me if I finished my medical yet. I finished a few months ago so was kinda surprised at the email. Anyways, I gave them dates and the location I went to so they can contact the doctor for the report/forms. Fortunately, I also have a copy of the full set just in case this happened. Anyways, my package is complete, just waiting for the BI so hopefully that happens quickly and I can class up. Has this happened to anyone else (Medical not receiving the pre-employment medical checkup and receiving an email asking about the status)? Hoping this is a sign that my file is being looked closer at.

Comment

• WannabeAgent
        Re: not passing up an opportunity- that’s sound advice.

Comment

• WannabeAgent
          WannabeAgent commented
          Editing a comment
          HSIApplicant, like I said, once you're in you can ALWAYS jump around to different agencies. No one cares if you just started with one agency, if another wants to pick you up they will, regardless how long you've been with them. Its not looked at negatively either so if anyone tells you any differently, they dont know w t f theyre talking about guaranteed. Thats why I say go with what comes first if you're ok with it, because you never know what/if anything else comes down the pipe after that.

• porkchop23
          porkchop23 commented
          Editing a comment
          Noted, WannabeAgent. Thanks for the insight.

• I just finished listening to this series. I HIGHLY recommend Season 1 of "The Undercovers" audio podcast to DEA applicants. Season 1 focuses on DEA and they were awesome accounts of the overseas mission.

-SA Blog
        www.specialagents.org

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.13.28 AM.png

Comment

• ZH97
          ZH97 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for sharing this. I am a huge podcast person. There are a ton of incredibly informative veteran/military based podcasts but it’s hard to find any on federal law enforcement. I will certainly be checking that out.

• Hey guys, completed Houston Super MAC Nov 2019, got my COL shortly after. Started Eqip in Jan, then asked for it again in Jun-ish. Completed Poly, Med, Psych test, Psych Eval, passed pt test.. Was shooting for Jan 3, or 31st class.. Recruiter says still working on Security.. Told me to enjoy holidays, and that it is a good sign.. Anyone know when the next classes would be after Jan? I think I read March time frame? If anyone else is looking at those dates, we may be in same class.. Hopefully if I get the final call. Anyone know if its an email, or actual call for Offer? Sorry if these questions have been answered. Thanks guys.

Comment

• WannabeAgent
          WannabeAgent commented
          Editing a comment
          I also heard March. I've completed everything except BI as well which is underway so will see for March. If not I'm not too worried about it, March is a little too chilly for me in VA anyways, lol.

• Anyone processing out of Seattle that has completed poly send me a message please.

Comment

• To: ZH97

The "Off The X" Podcast by former DSS SA Cody Perron (Author of "Agents Unknown") is similarly awesome and totally worth listening to as a current and future Special Agent. I would describe it as informative, authentic and entertaining.

Yes, the federal podcasts are hard to find but I am always on the hunt and permanently linking them to the Special Agents Blog site. Many folks are sending me the links as well so that helps.

-SA Blog

p.s Oh yeah, legendary ATF SA Jay Dobyns (who I recently interviewed) also runs a Podcast called "Copland" which focuses on all things law enforcement. There is also Deep Cover-The Drug Wars (which focuses on a crazy federal drug case) and Deep Cover-The Real Donnie Brasco (which focuses on the famous federal undercover agent).
          Last edited by specialagentblog; 01-15-2021, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• WannabeAgent
            WannabeAgent commented
            Editing a comment
            I know Cody. Good dude but he was only an agent for like 6-7 years maybe 8 at most. Exaggerated and dramatic stories but whatever, lol. Entertaining possibly (I dont know I don't listen), authentic no. Its a podcast, like a book. If it was truthful as DS is, it wouldn't sell so of course the author has to throw some spice into it to make it entertaining and to bring some attention. Don't believe the hype. DS is not some high speed agency that this podcast may want you to believe.
            Last edited by WannabeAgent; 01-16-2021, 09:51 AM.

• WannabeAgent,

Haha, I agree...all things have to be taken with a grain of salt. But there are so many non-agent clowns out there trying to sell nonsense to applicants that *at least* I can confidently say Cody (and others like him) were actual special agents at one point. Unfortunately, current special agents can't really do podcasts or sell books (due to ethics rules) so retired agents or "has beens" are the best we got.

As to your second point, there are numerous downsides to 1811 agencies, however, podcasts about standing post on the tarmac for hours, or managing a non-english speaking guard force or even traveling in basic economy all the time would NOT garner too many fans.

-SA Blog

Comment

• WannabeAgent
            WannabeAgent commented
            Editing a comment
            @specialagentblog Agreed, there are alot of non agent clowns like you say and those are the people who want to read about and listen to this stuff I guess. Real agents kinda laugh and shake their head (I know I do). DS is a good gig, don't get me wrong, but certainly not what its talked up to be, like most others. All depends on what you want to do and what level of adrenaline you need fulfilled. When looking at different agencies and you see the requirements to get in, if there is no PT test involved, that speaks volumes I'll tell you that. If you like moving around every 2-3 years, internationally and domestically (unless you want to do multiple tours in DC), and don't need a high level of adrenaline to fill your soul, DS can be a good gig for you. Anyways, this is DEA thread so I don't want to switch gears lol,.

• porkchop23
            porkchop23 commented
            Editing a comment
            WannabeAgent, what would your ranking be for the adrenaline factor of the different agencies?

• WannabeAgent
            WannabeAgent commented
            Editing a comment
            porkchop23 of the federal agencies I would say near the top would be USMS, ATF, DEA, HSI, FBI response teams, BP is fun and exciting. Towards the bottom I would say are CBP (with few exceptions), DS, USSS, OIG, OPR, Park Rangers, DOE, SBA, VA just to name a few. Each individual is different and adrenaline can be subjective. There are few instances in my almost 15 year DS career where my adrenaline has risen above 1. Again, it all depends on what you want.

• Got a call from BI today!
          Last edited by HSIApplicant; 01-21-2021, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• Anyone else waiting for an eqip link?

Comment

• Waiting since11/20. I'm scheduled for fingerprinting next week.

Comment

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                I had mine done after doing the PT test in october. Finger printing is the absolute worst, the ink gets everywhere.

• porkchop23
                porkchop23 commented
                Editing a comment
                @Levithane: I'm surprised the fingerprints aren't digital in 2021. Even getting my concealed carry license at a state in the US South a few years ago had a digital fingerprinting process.

• I called on the status of my bi and they told me that it was closed and sent to DEA. What all does that mean? Am I still waiting to be ajudicated/found suitable?

Comment

• WannabeAgent
                WannabeAgent commented
                Editing a comment
                @Crb74hs yea sounds like it. Once its completed, they send to adjudications which is where it sounds like it is now.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3527 users online. 205 members and 3322 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X