300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Clearence question

I have a TS clearance through the military. I think its good for 5 years from the time i recieved it. My friend who i served with also has one and he just got on with lockheed martin and they said it doesnt mean anything becuase they do there own clearence, is it this way with most LE jobs? and how much weight does this pull in the hiring process. Thanks

You question has several takes on it. Since your friend has a TS, he probably will be able to maintain the clearance when he goes to Lockheed Martin, so yes it has an affect. They know this, but since they are working on government contracts they also must abide by the contract. Sometimes, through odd interpretation or "oops missed that," the companies must pay for a clearance on each new person. Sometimes it's just that the contract requires the company to investigate the last couple years since the last investigation.

Unless the police agency goes through a central BI agency they will most likely conduct their own BI. The last county I worked in had a central agency to conduct the investigations. It made it easier for the applicants but there was a lot of "stealing" of candidates between the agencies that used it. For example, I was through with almost everything, except the physical and psych with one agency, but since they used the central BI, the agency that actually hired me, interviewed me last, offered first, and put me through the medical stuff. The agency hiring me took less than two weeks from the start of their hiring process to the job offer, because the first agency had put me through almost everything.

I've heard rumor that the Feds like BP and CBPO use the same BI. This might be because they are both under DHS. I think this is the exception not the rule.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

It looks good but yes, it will not carry over and they will do their own. I am in the same boat with the FAM's. I have a TS from the Army but the FAM's won't use it and they are still doing their own. The packet was the same dang thing though. And it also all goes to OPM, so it sounds like a waste of money to me.
      "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

Originally posted by signal1 View Post
        It looks good but yes, it will not carry over and they will do their own. I am in the same boat with the FAM's. I have a TS from the Army but the FAM's won't use it and they are still doing their own. The packet was the same dang thing though. And it also all goes to OPM, so it sounds like a waste of money to me.
        Thats what the government does, waste money!

Comment

Security Clearance Question

Your current clearance probably isn't going to hurt you, it probably won't help you either. The agency you apply to will conduct it's own Background Investigation. If your past is such that you were able to go through a National Agency Check for your clearance, you'll probably survive the background as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post

I've heard rumor that the Feds like BP and CBPO use the same BI. This might be because they are both under DHS. I think this is the exception not the rule.
            Negative. Border Patrol will still initiate another background investigation on recruits through OPM.

As far as it being a waste of money to have multiple investigations on the same individual by OPM, no it isn't. Hate to say it, but a lot of military clearance investigations aren't investigated with the same tenacity as a LE background investigation.

If Private snuffy hasn't had but one job and lived in town ABC for his entire life, OPM is known to just stamp off on approval with nothing more than a local records check, credit check, fingerprint, military records check and a medical records check. It does not necessarily give the same picture sometimes of someone pounding the pavement and talking to your neighbors, spouse, inlaws, friends, former coworkers, etc. etc.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that rumor up.

The BI's you are talking about are rather different. The military noramlly is just checking the member for a security clearance, usually a secret. The BI for Fedral LE is also a suitablility check and for a higher clearance, so it is more in depth. I find it rather interesting that the NISPOM states very clearly that only one BI can be worked on a person at a time, but the Feds routinely ignore it based on the suitablility side of the investigation.
              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3458 users online. 175 members and 3283 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X