300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Service 1811

Hello I’m currently a CBPO and am possibly looking into 1811. So I am wondering what life as a secret service 1811 is like. What I’m told is the hours suck both by time of day and length of hours. What Is the work/home life like? Do they move you around the country or once I’m at a location I’m there? What’s the likelihood of getting the location I want? Thanks for the help

Can you turn your PMs on?

Comment

Next time you have a day off, put on a suit and tie and your stiffest shoes. Then at midnight, go stand in your hallway between the kitchen and the garage. Stand there until 10am, and give yourself breaks every other hour. No looking at your phone or any other distractions. Repeat the next night and the next night and the next night....now you'll have an idea how 30% of your career will be spent!

There are some mental exercises you can try as well. Like look at the wall in front of you. Count the little flecks of paint in one square inch.... let's say you count fifty tiny flecks of color. Now estimate the length and the height of the wall... let's say it's 8 feet high, and 40 forty feet long.

So... 8 x 40 = 320 square feet.

If one square foot = 144 square inches, then there are 7,200 tiny specks of paint in one square foot.

So that would equate to 2,304,000 tiny flecks of paint in the section of wall you are staring at all night.

These little mind games will keep you sane.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

-Louis Pasteur

Comment

• IroqouisB
        IroqouisB commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you mean not looking at your phone? You won't even know if it rings or gets a text, because supervision emphasizes so much distrust, they lock it up before you go on post.

An average of 2 years for retention of new Special Agents should tell you something.
      "The only easy day was yesterday"

Comment

• Sheridan1
        Sheridan1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where's the source on that statistic?

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
      Next time you have a day off, put on a suit and tie and your stiffest shoes. Then at midnight, go stand in your hallway between the kitchen and the garage. Stand there until 10am, and give yourself breaks every other hour. No looking at your phone or any other distractions. Repeat the next night and the next night and the next night....now you'll have an idea how 30% of your career will be spent!

There are some mental exercises you can try as well. Like look at the wall in front of you. Count the little flecks of paint in one square inch.... let's say you count fifty tiny flecks of color. Now estimate the length and the height of the wall... let's say it's 8 feet high, and 40 forty feet long.

So... 8 x 40 = 320 square feet.

If one square foot = 144 square inches, then there are 7,200 tiny specks of paint in one square foot.

So that would equate to 2,304,000 tiny flecks of paint in the section of wall you are staring at all night.

These little mind games will keep you sane.
      This is accurate, but double that 30% because of the current attrition situation, and given that we are now in an election year. Even if you end up in a field office in Boise or Sioux Falls you are going to end up on TDY for protection 3 weeks out of the month out of JJRTC.

OP, there are people out there who genuinely enjoy and find fulfillment in protection, which is fantastic, but they are few and far between. Unless you are truly one of those, I would recommend against USSS.
      Last edited by waffledog47; 01-31-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6018 users online. 348 members and 5670 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X