300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawful Permanent Resident needs advice

Alright guys, after surfing this forum for a long time, I have finally decided to post my question. I am at a critical juncture in my career and need some good career advice.

I was born and raised in India and I speak very good English. I am just crazy about being a Special Agent with the FBI and I know what it takes to be one. I am open to regular LE positions as well, but my heart and passion is really with the FBI. I am 30 years old.

As you might have guessed from the title of the thread, I am a Lawful Permanent Resident who is close to 3 years away from being eligible to file for naturalization.

My questions are:

1) What options do I have in these 3 years?
    2) Would it help if I were to get a Masters in Criminal Justice in the meantime?
    3) Would it help if I learnt a foreign language? (I already know Hindi)
    4) Would some volunteer work for LE help?
    5) Would I be too old to join LE 3-4 years from now (I'd be between 33-34)? In my personal opinion, if I can get to do my dream job for even a day in my life, it would be worth it. Lots of people have told me that there are many people who change careers quite a few times before they come across the one that is right for them and I believe that, but what do you guys think?
    6) Most importantly, what can I do in these 3 years to make myself a better candidate and a cut above the rest, for the LE agencies, especially the FBI?

Inputs will be appreciated.

-Thank you.

Edit -By the way, I am in AZ.
    Last edited by wildestkabs; 05-17-2007, 11:28 PM.

Hey wildestkabs I am in the same boat you are, the only difference is that I would like to work for ICE instead of the FBI, I am also a permanent resident alien, you have a lot of options for the next 3 years not every position in LE requires you to be a citizen, in fact several states only require you to be a LPR to be LEO, obviously getting a masters degree would help you, even more if you are thinking about working for a federal agency, a foreign language is also very helpful, some volunteer work also may help I dont think you would be too old you just have to check for specific agency requirements, I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have just send me a PM or email and Ill get back to you, in the meanwhile good luck!!!

Comment

Hey lossprevention, thanks for you response

Like you have ICE in mind, I too just don't want to get into LE for the heck of it. I have the FBI in mind. One of the things that I am confused about is whether I should pursue an LE position in one of those states which accept positions from LPRs, thereby trying to gain experience in LE, or whether I should work on the critical skills which are required by the FBI, in the next 2 or 3 years, or try and do both. Like I said, I know Hindi very well (it is my mother tongue and one of the preferred skills for the FBI's language requirements). I was just checking on Arizona State University's website and they have a 4 year degree program on Asian Languages with emphasis on Chinese. This is something that I would like to work on. University of Phoenix has an excellent Masters degree program in Criminal Justice. Do you get my drift here?

Anyway, so where are you with your efforts? What have you been doing these days?

Comment

if i wre you.i would contact the FBI or the branch you want to join,with your questions....good luck

Comment

Right now I am just finishing my bachelors in criminal justice and I am also trying to be a LEO in one of those states,if I cant get in I'll probably work on my masters degree.

Comment

Hi there, I have some good news. I found out that the Maricopa County Sheriff's office (MCSO) accepts applications from permanent residents for the position of a Detention Officer and the AZ Dept. of Corrections does too, for the position of a Corrections officer. This should be a great foundation for me, while I am still a permanent resident.

I am going to be applying as soon as possible and start working on my Masters in Criminal Justice as well.

By the way, does a Detention Officer/ Corrections Officer qualify as a Law Enforcement Officer?

Comment

Federal LEO jobs require US Citizenship.

Erm

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4717 users online. 263 members and 4454 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X