Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth pursuing a Doctorate degree (career progression in FEDLE)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth pursuing a Doctorate degree (career progression in FEDLE)

Hey all almost done with my Masters and looking to pursue a Doctorate in Emergency Management. Is there any perks to receiving a Doctorate and working in federal law enforcement? Any 1811s out there want to share their experiences/input are more than welcome! Thanks again, be safe!

I’m never going to tell someone not to better themselves, but I doubt getting a doctorate will get you anything more. Some of the best agents I’ve worked with have no degree, I’ve been an 1811 with a big agency for a few years now and only have a bachelors. I was a cop for 5 years prior.

Comment

A PHD/Doctorate is a complete waste of time unless your end goal is to go and teach in academia full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post
        A PHD/Doctorate is a complete waste of time unless your end goal is to go and teach in academia full time.
        Read this 10 times
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks guys!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post
            Which actually isn't a bad end goal... retire at 57 or whenever you're eligible if you have a teaching job lined up and go teach criminology or terrorism or some crap related to LE. College professor is the least stressful job in America. I know several guys who have retired and went on to teach, but only those with Master's degrees. I know of two? who were locals before hand and were re-vested into the state pension system due to taking jobs at state schools.

Comment

The "Perks":

Your co-workers will call you "Doc" and "The Professor" and in general think you're a big D-bag for having a PhD.

Management will think you think you are smarter than them and will take special pleasure putting you in your place.

Juries will not be impressed that you have a PhD. In fact, they will be suspicious about it, as in "why is this guy in LE???"

Here's the deal: the only thing an agency (and co-workers) care about is you can carry your own caseload, you are squared away during ops, and you are not a pain to deal with day in and day out. MA, BA, PhD, MBA, BFA, JD, on and on mean absolutely nothing.

Your post reminded me about a college PD I am familiar with. Because the college offers free tuition to employees, half of the officers have PhDs and the other half are working on PhDs. Bunch of smart fellers but what difference does it make in the big picture? None.

Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

No Country For Old Men

Comment

• NCG128
                NCG128 commented
                Editing a comment
                This is probably the realest post I’ve seen in awhile. That’s so much for your insight.

• izamsilas
                izamsilas commented
                Editing a comment
                Endless fun on surviellances....same goes for getting a masters, but OP already crossed that bridge!

So personal and intellectual development are a big waste of time, right? Increased knowledge and expertise in a specific field... horrible idea. Potential to contribute to professional research and publish journal articles, write textbooks and instructional materials... what a loser! Get paid $150k + to teach four or five classes a year and work 30 weeks out of the year... idiot. Some great advice on here, as per usual.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Prof View Post
                So personal and intellectual development are a big waste of time, right? Increased knowledge and expertise in a specific field... horrible idea. Potential to contribute to professional research and publish journal articles, write textbooks and instructional materials... what a loser! Get paid $150k + to teach four or five classes a year and work 30 weeks out of the year... idiot. Some great advice on here, as per usual.

Relax, Professor. The question asked: does getting a PhD offer any perks to working in Fed LE? The answer: nope.

Now had he asked, "Does getting a PhD offer any perks to get an easy, high paying gig teaching fawning college students about social theories and causation models? The answer would be: absolutely.

Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

No Country For Old Men

Comment

Forgetting about the inevitable student debt associated with a PhD are we? Most people aren't in the position where their employer will pay for their continued education for a master's or PhD.

Comment

It may help you get hired, but that’s about it. Anything after that is a huge maybe or maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by NCG128 View Post
                      Hey all almost done with my Masters and looking to pursue a Doctorate in Emergency Management. Is there any perks to receiving a Doctorate and working in federal law enforcement? Any 1811s out there want to share their experiences/input are more than welcome! Thanks again, be safe!
                      Is this a troll? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by NCG128 View Post
                        Depends on what you want to do with it. I recently finished mine and teach. I have been teaching for several years with a Masters, but now I have multiple schools trying to hire me full-time. I make more money than my Chief. I am a full-time federal LEO and teach classes at two different universities. 1 university pays $4500 per 3 hour course, the other is a more prestigious private university that pays $8000 per 3 hour class. The median salary here is under $60,000 for the average Joe. I am 40 years old. When I retire at 57 I will have nearly three decades of teaching experience, a 30 year federal LEO pension, hundreds of thousands of dollars in my TSP, and easily slide into a six figure teaching job, or maybe just teach part-time. My kids college is 100% paid for by one of the colleges I teach at. My wife and I are also eligible for full tuition remission. My school loans have been forgiven, 0 debt due to public service. Because of my education I have been tapped for temporary duty assignments with several other federal agencies/offices. As far as testifying in Court. Nothing shuts down a defense attorney like an expert witness with a PhD.

If your not looking to teach you can look into the executive service. I am currently in process for the SES. So in short you can work for your agency until you retire, or you can get your education and end up running it someday, your choice.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LadyKiller View Post

Depends on what you want to do with it. I recently finished mine and teach. I have been teaching for several years with a Masters, but now I have multiple schools trying to hire me full-time. I make more money than my Chief. I am a full-time federal LEO and teach classes at two different universities. 1 university pays $4500 per 3 hour course, the other is a more prestigious private university that pays $8000 per 3 hour class. The median salary here is under $60,000 for the average Joe. I am 40 years old. When I retire at 57 I will have nearly three decades of teaching experience, a 30 year federal LEO pension, hundreds of thousands of dollars in my TSP, and easily slide into a six figure teaching job, or maybe just teach part-time. My kids college is 100% paid for by one of the colleges I teach at. My wife and I are also eligible for full tuition remission. My school loans have been forgiven, 0 debt due to public service. Because of my education I have been tapped for temporary duty assignments with several other federal agencies/offices. As far as testifying in Court. Nothing shuts down a defense attorney like an expert witness with a PhD.

If your not looking to teach you can look into the executive service. I am currently in process for the SES. So in short you can work for your agency until you retire, or you can get your education and end up running it someday, your choice.
                            Hey sir PM me. I’m looking to go with ICE DO or 1811/1801 somewhere. Could use a little bit of guidance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6463 users online. 454 members and 6009 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X