300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland police

Is there anyone on here who has gone through, or is currently going through the Oakland PD hiring process? I am considering applying but would like more information from someone who has gone through it. Thanks!

I thought about doing it, but, when I saw the hoops it appeared I had to jump through to change my POST over to California, I didn't even bother. If you haven't talked to a recruiter, call one. They were pretty informative over the phone.

Comment

Oakland police

2lucky - in what state are you currently a police officer? I'm not law enforcement right now but I am interested in finding out more about their academy. I'm assuming it's highly paramilitary but I did not know if it was as much so as LAPD, LASD, or OCSD.

Comment

cue928, I'm from TN and I do not know if they are. I'll have to check to see if I still have the packet they sent me. I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by cue928 View Post
          2lucky - in what state are you currently a police officer? I'm not law enforcement right now but I am interested in finding out more about their academy. I'm assuming it's highly paramilitary but I did not know if it was as much so as LAPD, LASD, or OCSD.
          I would go out on a limb to say all CA POST Basic Acadamies are based upon paramilitary standards. Some are a lot tougher than others and have higher wash out rates.
          OCSD leads CA with the highest washout rate which probably has to due with DI's only being DI's and classes being much smaller so more attention is given. I hear CHP and OCSD are fairly identical in academy stress rates with washout rates around 40% and higher.
          LASD switches from class to class from lower to higher stress. Our class was high stress while the baby class compared to ours was low stress. DI's also teach classes so they usually gear down quite a bit to make learning more comfortable. Our class had a 29% washout rate.
          LAPD academy I only hear rumors about being a lot easier but longer than the others at 27 weeks.
          Now Federal I hear is pretty much a walk in the park.

Comment

Is there anyone on here who has gone through, or is currently going through the Oakland PD hiring process? I am considering applying but would like more information from someone who has gone through it. Thanks!
            I'm considering it to, but I'm waiting to see how some other things pan out for me.
            Last edited by ftgolfer; 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM.
            "Will to Protect....Courage to Fight"

Comment

Oakland police

That sounds good. I've considered a number of places across the country but Oakland is pretty high on the list. Detroit and Austin, TX were on my list outside of Cali but Detroit is still recovering from the city's financial problems.

What about the physical fitness requirements while you are in the academy?

Comment

If you're certified from out of state, do you still do an academy for Oakland?

Comment

Good luck with Detroit! I made the trip twice over two years ago. Recruiting is a mess.

I'm actually in the process w/ Oakland right now Cue. You can PM me.

Comment

Oakland police

Okay, let me throw one other agency into the mix since we're already talking about Oakland. Anybody familiar with San Francisco PD? What are housing costs there? Academy info/lifestyle?

Comment

Okay, let me throw one other agency into the mix since we're already talking about Oakland. Anybody familiar with San Francisco PD? What are housing costs there? Academy info/lifestyle?
                      Here you look......ya better sit down first! Oakland is in Alameda County so you can check that side of the bay using the same link

http://www.sfgate.com/homes/
                      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Oakland police

Yeah I knew it was horrible, just trying to see how horrible. But, members of their department are cutting it somehow...

Comment

Yeah I knew it was horrible, just trying to see how horrible. But, members of their department are cutting it somehow...
                          They commute 2 hours each way! Unless you bought a home a long time ago..................
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I've considered a number of places across the country but Oakland is pretty high on the list.
                            Why Oakland??

Comment

Oakland police

Oakland has a lot of crime right now, for starters. It's going to take the police, city, and community to change that. And, that is something I want to be a part of. Structurally, the department seems to be in good shape. They've had some trouble to be sure, but not to the extent that it would inhibit an officer from doing the job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2941 users online. 166 members and 2775 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X