300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRS Criminal Investigator 2019

Announcement opened up again, was originally opened at the beginning of this year. Last years opening only wanted a public trust background, changed to Top Secret this year.

With their whole "12 month roster" process, does anyone have a realistic timeline on their typical hiring? The job post is open for a full year.

Comment

• dark321
      dark321 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not certain, but I was following the fedsoup thread. A lot of the people applied in February and were getting firm offers about two weeks ago.

The job posting said first in first out so it seems they are going to do them fast on a rolling basis.

I put my application in. Hopefully the test isn't as hard as everyone has been saying.

No poly for IRS

Comment

I put in myself, roll of the dice. I noticed the questions differ from previous announcements, for example when they ask about experience, once of the responses working as a corrections officer. 8 yrs BOP, bachelor's, former ARMY MPI and worked with CID with experience working fraud type cases. I say let them tell me no.

Comment

Any IRS-CI currently on here that can answer questions??? In my case, anyone here that are IRS-CI from the Fresno or Modesto areas?

Comment

FYI don't bother applying unless you have a degree in finance/accounting etc, or extensive financial work.

Comment

I got Ineligible based on applicant responses (Bachelor's in Accounting degree + 8 year tax accounting/audit experience) lol

Last edited by dark321; 12-11-2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              I got ineligible as well. After reading your post I don't even feel bad about it now.

• RJflyer
              RJflyer commented
              Editing a comment
              I received this in my email today: "Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review."

My background FWIW is bachelors degree (not accounting), prior military officer (intel), and current city police detective. I investigate a lot of financial crimes, but mainly at the state/local level.

• 647(F)
              647(F) commented
              Editing a comment
              Ridiculous. What do they want?!

Federal apps can be tricky. If you meet the minimum requirements you meet them. But the agency can't or likely won't help you convey that properly. If your resume doesn't back up your answers to the questions, you don't get credit for your answers. It took me many many apps before I figured out the system. Did you know the announcement number is supposed to be posted in your resume? Or that nobody cares how long your resume is because it's only ever looked at by computers. They have to be as long as it takes to address the answers provided. That kind of ticky tack stuff can easily preclude people from moving on. Not saying the IRS screened you out because of something like that but they could if they wanted.

When I recruit I explain all this stuff to the people I talk to. I suspect most recruiters don't bother. Learning about the job is one thing to address but just getting through USAjobs is an obstacle for those unfamiliar with the federal competitive hiring process. People truly interested in the job probably know about as much about it as I can tell them but they may know nothing about getting hired federally.

Comment

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post
              Federal apps can be tricky. If you meet the minimum requirements you meet them. But the agency can't or likely won't help you convey that properly. If your resume doesn't back up your answers to the questions, you don't get credit for your answers. It took me many many apps before I figured out the system. Did you know the announcement number is supposed to be posted in your resume? Or that nobody cares how long your resume is because it's only ever looked at by computers. They have to be as long as it takes to address the answers provided. That kind of ticky tack stuff can easily preclude people from moving on. Not saying the IRS screened you out because of something like that but they could if they wanted.

When I recruit I explain all this stuff to the people I talk to. I suspect most recruiters don't bother. Learning about the job is one thing to address but just getting through USAjobs is an obstacle for those unfamiliar with the federal competitive hiring process. People truly interested in the job probably know about as much about it as I can tell them but they may know nothing about getting hired federally.
              Thank you for that info. So is it one and done after they consider you ineligible or does emailing them help? I actually had the Grade 7 email go into my spam, but I was found eligible for Grade 7. When I looked at the questions and original vacancy experience requirements more carefully, I see why I was considered ineligible. It was because I wasn't sure and was too conservative on my answer.

Comment

Based on what you wrote you are grade 7 eligible but not grade 9. I think you are asking if you can argue for a grade 9 ranking. Not sure if that's possible. In the past if you finished a master's degree to become eligible as a 9 while waiting on the process you were still only offered a 7. Don't know that reaching out would help. But as it's open for 12 months perhaps you could reapply for the 9 only. Not sure if you have to wait a certain amount of time to reapply. I've heard if an applicant fails a part of the testing they have to wait 12 months. This isn't a failed test though so maybe you can just reapply for the 9 only. Every agency I know of wants to hire you at the highest grade possible so it's better to be at the highest purely to get selected and obviously for the applicant from the perspective of pay. So if you can reapply as a 9, I definitely would do so.

Comment

• dark321
                  dark321 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, appreciate the additional info again.

"Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review.

Upon further review of your application and qualifications, you will be contacted regarding your eligibility. You will be receiving correspondence via e-mail informing you of the next step of the application process."

Well lets see where this one goes.
                CBPO 19-4 - Switched to 19-8

CASS APP-50%
                EQIP - Completed
                Medical Exam - Completed
                Structured Interview - Completed
                Fitness Test - Completed
                Polygraph - TBD

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post
                  FYI don't bother applying unless you have a degree in finance/accounting etc, or extensive financial work.
                  This is not true. I am a current 1811 and I know for a fact that people hired by IRS CI in the last 2 years do not have extensive financial or LE backgrounds.

Does it help to have accounting background or financial or white collar related LE? Absolutely. But don’t just sell yourself short and not apply because of negative info on the internet. Just apply and let them tell you no, as someone said above.
                  Last edited by waffledog47; 12-13-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

So I applied to the 12 month roster announcement and got a usastaffing email saying I didn't meet requirements. I did however get referred for a different announcement for the Boston IRS / Oig shop.

​​​​​​I'm a current 1811 and worked financial crimes but my degree isn't a finance or accounting degree, so we'll see.

I'm more interested in the Treasury OIG spot I applied for in DC. Status of that app jusy changed to "Reviewed"

Comment

Got an email today to take the online assessments.

Comment

Is there a sort of guideline to the entire assessment/test/interview battery process?

The IRS careers page is pretty generic info.

Comment

• FEDDI
                          FEDDI commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not sure. I have a buddy that’s an IRS agent. I’ll inquire and post info if he has any.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5560 users online. 378 members and 5182 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X