300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOP Food Service Question

Looking to see if anyone has any clue what happens after you BQ for a Food Service position. I am currently a GS-6 that has completed my year and been applying for Food Service spots. So far BQed for 2 and wanted to know if anyone has any advice or what I can expect. Thanks.

Well my friend, if you are hitting the BQ list you’re already half way there, people often have a hard time BQ’n for F/S. And since you have been in a year, you know how it rolls. Either you are liked at work and people already in F/S are putting the buzz in the F/S Administrators ear or they don’t know who you are and it might be a bit of a struggle. Are you applying within your institution or outside of it?

Comment

• ThaTruth
      ThaTruth commented
      Editing a comment
      It may be a while before the institution I am in hired any Food Svc but I have been applying at other places. I hear that the BQ list is the hard part but just wasn't sure what to expect after that from a different institution.

Well the other institutions with call back to your institution to vouch you and if it’s all good you probably have a good shot of getting picked up. We just got a couple guys in Food Service at our spot from other institutions, so it is very possible to get picked up at one of the other places.

Comment

Depends on how the job announcement is worded . Did it say l local commuting area only? If so are you in the local commuting area? If not you can BQ all day long and never get hired.

Comment

Thanks everyone. They were both open to nationally. 1 was open to all BOP employees and the other was pubic. I know I am on the right path with my resume and answers at least to BQ for the ones I applied. Excited to see what happens next.

Comment

I was a manager at a restaurant for 12 years and couldn't BQ for it.

Comment

• themoj0
            themoj0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. I could ask the 2 people who got hired into our food service, " Explain to me the temperature danger zone" or " in what order would you store raw chicken, raw pork, raw steak, raw ground beef, raw fish, and yogurt, in a fridge" and they would have ZERO idea. but yet, they BQ......Thats BASIC kitchen stuff a food service foreman should know.

YEAh getting the BQ is the hard part. Seems like only people who BS their answers on USAJobs get the BQs. We had 2 get hired..with no REAL experience, and at the same time, someone with years in the culinary industry, as well as culinary school, didnt even BQ.

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what being honest on application questionnaire gets you. Someone with experience in the industry of the job is much more likely to honest on questions than someone without any experience in that field

• themoj0
            themoj0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. The only way to stop that, is 1) make the usajobs questions "BOP Proof" by having another box open up, if you select the answer that says " i am an expert in this field" etc etc. Then in that box, you have to annotate where, in your resume, you have the experience that justifies your answer. Another agency i recently applied at does that...its nice when you can actually show someone exactly why you are qualified.And what a co-ink-a-dink..i was referred best qualified.. And BOP needs to implement interviews. As it is, if you make the usajobs cut, and the warden has seen your name, then you will get the job. Force people to interview...that way...if they lied on their resume...you can catch em in it. the union will never let that happen though.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12310 users online. 440 members and 11870 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X