300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS Salary Schedule

Question on the GS scale, I am in final stages for employment for federal law enforcement agency, and was hoping for some help or clarification. I would be a GS7, and was curious how the locality and overtime pay work. Are they both built into your normal paychecks, or do you get it only after working the OT? I am budgeting out what to expect. Thank you in advance.

Locality is built into your paycheck. Depending on the agency/job, the OT may or may not be. For example, if you are going to a job that gets LEAP, it is included in your paycheck automatically; I believe the same still goes for BP, although pay system for OT is different and has multiple options. If you work for OFO, I believe their OT varies, so the paycheck would vary accordingly.

If you want to provide the location and the job or series, I'm sure others would be able to give you a better answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleknight07 View Post
      Question on the GS scale, I am in final stages for employment for federal law enforcement agency, and was hoping for some help or clarification. I would be a GS7, and was curious how the locality and overtime pay work. Are they both built into your normal paychecks, or do you get it only after working the OT? I am budgeting out what to expect. Thank you in advance.
      We need more info to answer any of your questions.

where is the offer, states or on a US territory, since territories are on COLA, but being in the states is not. Your locality pay if stateside is included in every normal form of pay you receive. COLA on the other hand is no included in retirement calculation, is not used in LEAP, OT, and other calcs.

What agency? Some FLEO jobs hire you at the GL-7 pay and some hire as GS-7..it's a noticeable difference.

What agency, because some agencies are OT exempt, some pay at time and a half, and some pay OT at double time.

What agency, because LEAP is always included in your check unless you lose certification, but some agencies pay LEAP at academy, some do not, and some agencies you won't get LEAP for your first two years.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleknight07 View Post

Here are are the general schedules with locality for LEO and non LEO. LEOs get a small bump in grades 3-10. As to your question about OT.. it will vary. Some positions get premium pay that for the most part is guaranteed (LEAP, AUO, BPAPRA). This premium pay is figured into your high three for retirement. Aside from that one could also earn OT (45 ACT/COPRA) but this is not guaranteed and the rate will vary depending on position (FLSA Exempt/NonExempt and CBPO vs others).

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...ement-officer/
        https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...eral-schedule/
        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a small technicality but an important one if he's going OFO, but CBPOs are hired at GS scale, and don't get the GL bump like BP and some other jobs. But a lot of FLEOs don't get the GL bump for 5/7/9. It's a significant amount less in pay, especially when you're at FLETC making flat pay and nothing else. 7k more for a 5, like 5-6k more for a 7.

7k can buy a lot of rounds and plays on the jukebox at the G Bar in Glynco!

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s why I included both the LEO and Non LEO schedules. Also, the positions that aren’t paid on the GL schedule are not technically considered LEOs (CBPO, most 0083 series). Depending on the announcement he applied (if he applied for OFO) under some less than desirable POEs were offering new hires a significant (I believe up to 25 percent ) annual bonus to take these spots.

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I know you been around the block, just for anyone who may not know. CBPOs may make less at fletc but at least they have something to look forward to after the academy with that double time. Had a duty call out last weekend my my CBPO friend responded to. He was telling me a few days later how that call-out was about $500 in overtime for him. Meanwhile I'm just thinking about leap hours ha

• merlin436
          merlin436 commented
          Editing a comment
          Overtime for CBPOs is profitable...if it's available. However, most ports in OFO have limited overtime availability and the average CBPO isn't swimming in overtime...just the outliers.

Hey guys, its LEO 1811 position. Location is an area like Columbia, SC or Mavon, GA, so I am pretty sure the lowest on the locality pay.

Comment

Please correct if im wrong... this is stuff i picked up from other DUSMS and fed officers..

Im at the end of the USMS hiring.... here is what i worked out for a place like Austin, TX. I have checked other places and the pay isnt that much different. Keep in mind you will more than likely move locations within your 20 years of service... so your locality pay will change. Also with federal raises your pay may change regardless.

1st year @gs-7

2nd year @ gs-9

**I was told USMS do not get LEAP until Gs-11
          3rd year gs-11
          63.1k + .25% = 75k

4th year @gs-12
          75.7k + .25= 93k

****5th [email protected]***
          90K + .25 = 112K

Each year after that is a step increase within the GS level and extra 3k each step for for another 3 or 4 years.

Then it actually take 2 or 3 years before your next increase.
          Last edited by Tx21; 10-06-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct on the 3rd year leap. I went back and checked my old epp, and it is indeed GL scale for DUSMs as 7 and 9s. That raise between a flat 9 to 11 + LEAP is no joke. And it's also when you get your G ride assigned to you if you didn't already have one, which of course is another benefit worth a few thousand a year at minimum.

battlewagon on paper the jump in pay looks ridiculous.... i have a close family member who has been with the USMS for nearly 20 years and he says right now is the time to get in because of the pay and mass hiring..... if i start in 2020 i will be at 48k.... but within 5 years my pay will more than double!!!!!!!! That is insane..... and you are right... an assigned vehicle definitely makes a big difference in terms of fuel fees to and from work.

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah and the 13s now makes being a Marshal a great financial deal. Not sure how they pulled that off but glad for them, lot of really great guys and gals with the USMS. I debated going back but they got rid of their 1811 lateral program with their new schedule B hiring authority

• Tx21
            Tx21 commented
            Editing a comment
            battlewagon coming from Law Enforcement at the county level.... the entire pay scale/ step increase makes it a great financial deal for me.. lol....im wave 1 of the Schedule B.. just got my FIT left... excited for a chance to get on board.

And the pay increase over the several years will definitely make up for having to uproot the family, selling the house, etc.

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            Most federal gigs make it worthwhile in the long run, especially for cops coming out of areas like the south or middle of the country where pay isn't great. There is definitely an initial bite the bullet since most jobs don't pay for moves, selling house, etc when you are initially hired, but the good pay, guaranteed pension (which is better than many city/county employees can say, see Dallas or Illinois soon), job satisfaction, and ability to move around agencies and around the country make it a good deal in the long run. But someone who is from say the PNW who is a cop in their hometown making 75k first year starting pay may disagree. It's all relative.

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol I cant escape the pain of the usms denial. You guys are everywhere. Good to know when I reapply next year.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9126 users online. 298 members and 8828 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X