300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation

Can anyone give advice or their experience on the topic of relocation?I thought i saw somewhere on the OPM site that the agency you work for may offer assistance when relocating. Im nearing the end of the process with the USMS, and while i dont want to rush ahead of myself, i definitely want to be prepared. I will have to uproot the family and sell a house, like many others have done before.

Is there any assistance in regards to housing or real estate, and do we have a timeframe to settle in after completion of academy?

you should talk to HR, if relocation is provided it would be mentioned on the usajobs posting. My agency does pay certain real estate fees, they used to even buy your house after a certain period if it didn't sell but that went a way a few years back. Keep in mind that moving expenses are now counted as taxable income and the government being the government pays a boatload to move even the smallest of houses.

Comment

The USMS does not pay for or cover any moving expenses for new deputies. The district you are going to will reach out near the end of academy and allow you to take time off to get adjusted. But the brunt of the moving and all that goes along with it will most likely be handled by your spouse throughout acadmey. (Depending on how far the move).

Comment

Good to know guys ....... thanks..... i figured thats how it was going to have to be done, i was kind of just trying for a last ditch effort.

Comment

A little food for thought here -

I was never a Fed, having spent my career working for state agencies. However, there came a time when I had to move and my agency did not pay relocation expenses.

Before selling my house, I took a moment to assess a number of financial options. Among other things, I looked at the equity I had in my house, the cost to continue to maintain it (mortgage, insurance, maintenance, etc.) and how much rent it might bring. I then looked at my savings, whether I had enough to make a reasonable down payment on a new house and still maintain enough of an emergency fund, whether I could afford the new house payments, etc.

I discovered that even paying a property management company to oversee things, if I kept my old house, rent from it alone would cover its mortgage, taxes and maintenance. I also had enough to put a down on a new house and could afford the payments on it with the salary from my existing job. Many years later, I had both houses paid off.

Just something to think about in your situation.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Something to keep your eyes on for the future, as I imagine the marshals pay relocation if you transfer after being a permanent employee. There is a bill floating around to offset the harm caused to feds by relocation fees being counted as taxable income. Not sure if it will pass or go anywhere but it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiitexas View Post
              Something to keep your eyes on for the future, as I imagine the marshals pay relocation if you transfer after being a permanent employee. There is a bill floating around to offset the harm caused to feds by relocation fees being counted as taxable income. Not sure if it will pass or go anywhere but it is possible.
              Remember, while relocation pay may be taxable, I believe moving expenses are equally deductible, so it pretty much becomes a wash.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Remember, while relocation pay may be taxable, I believe moving expenses are equally deductible, so it pretty much becomes a wash.

negative, no longer deductible. Only certain military moves are currently deductible under new 2018 tax laws.

Comment

USMS only pays for promotional moves. All voluntary move expenses are paid for by the employee.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8079 users online. 381 members and 7698 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X