Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CIA Careers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CIA Careers

    I realize it's not a LE agency, but this seems like the most appropriate place to discuss.

    Anyone looked into/applied for any careers with the CIA?

    I'm interested in about a handful of positions that they offer, specifically the Collection Management Officer.

    Anyways, I'm getting ready to submit my application and I just wanted to discuss anyone else's experiences and see if anyone had any advice...

  • #2
    Reply

    Only Thing I can say is to get ready for a long wait. I appllied with CIA's Security Protective Service (SPS) last year and I still haven't heard nothing from them. The same goes for NSA.
    Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    IF DEATH COME KNOCKING, I WILL ANSWER

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey zxcvbnm,

      Last year I applied for an analyist position in the DI and I was surprised at how fast the process went.
      I applied to three separate LE/Nat'l Security positions last year. The Border Patrol, the AZ Highway PAtrol, and the CIA job. My experience with the Feds is that they are all slow especially anything dealing with DHS. However, I sent in a resume to the CIA position in August and I was asked for more infor within two weeks (writing samples, minimum qualifications) and I was given an interview and COE the day after XMAS. If the job needs to be filled they will move fast (by federal standards).
      Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AZtribesman View Post
        Hey zxcvbnm,

        Last year I applied for an analyist position in the DI and I was surprised at how fast the process went.
        I applied to three separate LE/Nat'l Security positions last year. The Border Patrol, the AZ Highway PAtrol, and the CIA job. My experience with the Feds is that they are all slow especially anything dealing with DHS. However, I sent in a resume to the CIA position in August and I was asked for more infor within two weeks (writing samples, minimum qualifications) and I was given an interview and COE the day after XMAS. If the job needs to be filled they will move fast (by federal standards).
        where do you stand in the process as of today? you stated how fast things were moving, but you stopped with a COE in december. its may now, so it doesnt appear to moving any faster than border patrol?

        Comment


        • #5
          I decided that I did not want to sit at desk watching information come in from another continent while I tried to figure out how to stretch my mid level government salary far enough to afford living in the DC area. I am a local law enforcement officer.

          My point was that considering how long my other federal positions took the CIA hiring process was rather fast, personal, and informative. I was polygraphed, psyche screened, and medical tested in May, this was last year. According to CIA hr I was expected to be on site by July (less than one year from application) keep in mind I have alot of foreign travel that made my SF-86 especially long.
          Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zxcvbnm View Post
            I realize it's not a LE agency, but this seems like the most appropriate place to discuss.

            Anyone looked into/applied for any careers with the CIA?

            I'm interested in about a handful of positions that they offer, specifically the Collection Management Officer.

            Anyways, I'm getting ready to submit my application and I just wanted to discuss anyone else's experiences and see if anyone had any advice...

            I went through the process 2 years ago. I was flown down for an interview and then a few weeks later was given a conditional offer letter dependant on passing the background/security checks. I completed, medical, psych, poly, and the background investigation.

            I didn't get the job becasuse they offer the same position to several people and the one who completes the process first gets hired. I was told I was eligible for hire, and that I passed all phases fo the process. The whole thing took about 6 months.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you don't mind me asking; what is/was your background, credentials, etc when you went through this process? I apologize if this sounds bizarre, but I am just curious. All of the individuals that I know who had involvement with the CIA were randomly solicited via some pretty inconspicuous methods. Go figure!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by zxcvbnm View Post
                I realize it's not a LE agency, but this seems like the most appropriate place to discuss.

                Anyone looked into/applied for any careers with the CIA?

                I'm interested in about a handful of positions that they offer, specifically the Collection Management Officer.

                Anyways, I'm getting ready to submit my application and I just wanted to discuss anyone else's experiences and see if anyone had any advice...
                Keep up with all the current world events (I recommend reading the Economist or the Financial Times). Pick up some books written by past CIA employees (PM me if you want some titles). Show a lot of interest in other languages (not Spanish) and cultures.

                Good Luck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jmk421 View Post
                  Keep up with all the current world events (I recommend reading the Economist or the Financial Times). Pick up some books written by past CIA employees (PM me if you want some titles). Show a lot of interest in other languages (not Spanish) and cultures.

                  Good Luck!
                  Thanks for the reply.

                  I would like some titles, I'll send you a PM. I can speak a decent amount of Spanish, so I've been trying to keep up with that but maybe it's worth starting on another language as well? I'm worried that will just complicate everything even more...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AZtribesman View Post
                    I decided that I did not want to sit at desk watching information come in from another continent while I tried to figure out how to stretch my mid level government salary far enough to afford living in the DC area. I am a local law enforcement officer.

                    My point was that considering how long my other federal positions took the CIA hiring process was rather fast, personal, and informative. I was polygraphed, psyche screened, and medical tested in May, this was last year. According to CIA hr I was expected to be on site by July (less than one year from application) keep in mind I have alot of foreign travel that made my SF-86 especially long.
                    Interesting. Do you mind if I ask which analyst position you applied for? And, did you have a lot of related experience?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by UCTKE283 View Post
                      I went through the process 2 years ago. I was flown down for an interview and then a few weeks later was given a conditional offer letter dependant on passing the background/security checks. I completed, medical, psych, poly, and the background investigation.

                      I didn't get the job becasuse they offer the same position to several people and the one who completes the process first gets hired. I was told I was eligible for hire, and that I passed all phases fo the process. The whole thing took about 6 months.
                      So they didn't keep you on file for the next opening or anything? Did you think about re-applying?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        JMK hit right off...

                        Read international respected press and academic journals but foreign experience and language ability is really beneficial.
                        Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by zxcvbnm View Post
                          Thanks for the reply.

                          I would like some titles, I'll send you a PM. I can speak a decent amount of Spanish, so I've been trying to keep up with that but maybe it's worth starting on another language as well? I'm worried that will just complicate everything even more...
                          I sent you a PM. If you are willing to put the time into another language I would. I’ve studied Spanish throughout college, but Spanish speakers are a dime a dozen. Don’t get me wrong mastering any foreign language, including Spanish, will put you ahead of others. A couple associates of mine in the Agency have studied up to 6 languages (which I think is nuts). I suggest Chinese or Korean; I’m currently studying Arabic and will be living abroad this summer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jmk421 View Post
                            I sent you a PM. If you are willing to put the time into another language I would. I’ve studied Spanish throughout college, but Spanish speakers are a dime a dozen. Don’t get me wrong mastering any foreign language, including Spanish, will put you ahead of others. A couple associates of mine in the Agency have studied up to 6 languages (which I think is nuts). I suggest Chinese or Korean; I’m currently studying Arabic and will be living abroad this summer.

                            Thanks, I would like to try Chinese or Arabic but it's my understanding that they are both extremely difficult. I thought about maybe something more related to Spanish, such as French. What are you doing this summer? I'd love to find something to get me abroad, but cash seems to usually be a problem...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If you are a student you can get an education loan for some program. THe best way to learn a language is to surround yourself with it. Try Arabic, because the program opportunities will be widespread. See if you can spend a semester in Morocco or Jordan, or even Israel.
                              Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5264 users online. 290 members and 4974 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X