Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Forest Service Special Agent Announcement (19-WO-LEI-10557420-G-MADS)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Forest Service Special Agent Announcement (19-WO-LEI-10557420-G-MADS)

Discussion thread for the 2019 announcement for Special Agent positions with the Forest Service.

19-WO-LEI-10557420-G-MADS
    https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541518700/

One position in each of the following locations:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Porterville, CA
    San Dimas, CA
    Yreka, CA
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Jackson, MS
    Nelsonville, OH
    Warren, PA
    Lufkin, TX

Should be a pretty competitive announcement. A lot of my 1811 friends applied, despite USFS SAs being a GS-12 potential position.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

I was wondering when someone was going to start a thread. It should be interesting.

The FS is notorious for picking current uniformed LEOs to become agents because they best know the particulars of agency and NRLE.

Did you put in for any of them?

Comment

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      This is true, the only FS 1811s I know are prior uniform 1801s. Which is good on the agency, that's how it should be, but unfortunate for those who want in.

What are these guys’ caseloads like? I can’t imagine there is a whole lot that Uniformed USFS guys have to pass down to Investigators. Maybe I’m misinformed?

Comment

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      They are stretched thin. They are a tiny 1811 group. Straight from the source, there are agents with 60 open cases, and the 'low end' I've heard is nearly as many cases as my whole RAC office has open now in my current agency. Obviously you can't humanly work that many cases and I imagine most sit there, but the work is definitely there. But sometimes too much can make it tough to effectively work any.

Originally posted by 647(F) View Post
    What are these guys’ caseloads like? I can’t imagine there is a whole lot that Uniformed USFS guys have to pass down to Investigators. Maybe I’m misinformed?
    What would make you say that? No offense, but I will assume you have never worked with them and don't know what they do. Plenty of crime happens in the woods, and there are rarely witnesses to help solve it.

Comment

Recent news article from Oregon about a rash of cow killings in Oregon. Forest Service has the case because incidents happened on federal land:

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...-ranchers.html

Evidently, several 2,000 pound bulls have been found dead with their tongues and genitals removed but no bullet holes, no signs of struggle. Speculation: poison darts were used, as in someone is out driving around the forest with a blowgun and darts coated in a substance so toxic it would kill a goliath steer. (I've worked in cattle country and can attest a big bull is almost indestructible- those suckers would eat barb wire and survive). After they shot the poison dart at the cow and it falls down, they cut out the tongue and testes as part of some sick ritual.

Dead cows on federal land with parts removed. This is the kind of thing a FS agent would investigate. I'm not envious.
      The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

Originally posted by 647(F) View Post
        There is a lot going on USFS lands. The caseload all depends on the location. In the west it's a lot of fire/arson and dope (marijuana grow) cases. In some of the great lake states where USFS lands fall under concurrent jurisdiction you'll even see the USFS as lead investigators on "people crimes" such as rape. Then you throw in the typical forest product/timber theft, employee related issues (employees stealing supplies/gas), etc.

Comment

I know a FS leo located near one of the sun-kissed gem cities of the American West, once a dusty cow town but now home to Hollywood actors and retired wall street hedge fund managers. The big problem there are all the squatters in the forest- the cost of local housing is so high, it's becoming common for the minimum wage workers (especially in tourist season) to set up camp in the woods, which is legal as long as they move to a new location every 14 days. Basically a regulation designed to allow hunters and fishermen and campers the opportunity to enjoy their public lands is being exploited by people who don't want to pay rent. The result- no surprise- is more trash, more human waste, and more conflicts with traditional forest users like hunters, hikers and mountain bikers.

The other problem is the 'alcohol based recreation' on the forest. It's where everyone goes with their AKs and ARs to blow off 500 rounds and drink a half rack of beer. The result- no surprise- is more trash, more signs getting shot up, more conflict with hikers and mountain bikers, and the occasional stray bullet hitting a building or person.

The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

Ahh...Boulder sweet Boulder

Comment

Some intel for you all. Less than 800 people applied to the announcement. HR estimates they will produce cert lists by mid October.

Also, a good friend called one of the POCs listed on the announcement for one of the locations today. When he spoke to that POC, they stated the positions had already been filled. So hopefully they were just confused, and they didn't already fill the slots through some internal or veterans non-competitive pathways.
              Last edited by battlewagon; 09-05-2019, 09:36 PM.
              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4912 users online. 220 members and 4692 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X