300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railroad Special Agent

Anyone have and information, good or bad, on working for the railroad? I am interested in either UP or BNSF in Texas. BNSF is currently hiring in Ft. Worth.

Railroad Special Agent.

Probably not a bad job. You'll probably need to be willing to move around quite a bit, something on the order of a Trooper. In the course of my career, I met and had occassion to work with some Railroad Cops. Some of the best guys I ever worked with. BNSF has a great reputation in the railroad business. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

I am a special agent with UPRR in TX and I love it. I left a large city pd and got a $12,000 pay increase when I left and joined UP a year ago. I have several buddies that work with BNSF which is also another great company to work for. I am sure that BNSF will start you at a higher salary than any local pd in the DFW area. The RR PD's usually hire pd officers from local depts, they want somebody with their TCLEOSE and experience. The only thing I don't like is that in order to get full retirement you need to work 30 years and be 60 yoa. But when you retire you get Federal RR Retirement, Company Pension, and a nice 401k. The thing is you have to look at the benefits they offer you if you get hired. Most of the time the starting salary is negotiable like any other business, which is kind of weird for LE.

Comment

I got laid off / furloughed in 82, came back in 85 ,
        the best thing that happened to me was being furloughed,
        i have 17 months to do til retire at age 48.
        i did like railroading for what it worth.
        don't wanna be a old buzzard waiting for my bag of peanuts at 60.
        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I got a buddy that's a railroad cop in Vegas. Great kid, works like a dog, but I feel like they work him to death for what they pay him. Traveling away from home a lot and taking down groups of guys high jacking rail cars out in the middle of the desert by himself. The guy is like a freaking lone wolf McWade (showing my age) For what he makes never could figure out why he never came over to METRO or NLV.

Comment

I work for Amtrak and deal with CSX cops all the time. Most of them seem bored (younger guys) and have applied to my agency because we are a little bit busier. Just remember you work for a company so their needs come first. Also read the railroad labor laws.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

do a LOT of research before you make a move. Some civilian officers mistakening look at the big dollar signs, but, do not research what the job entails. Not bashing the rr's at all, just saying, VERY different work atmospheres to adjust to, depending on what you are looking for career wise.

And depending on your age, for retirement, yeah, plan on 30 years before, as was posted so eloquently before, lol, you get your bag of peanuts. Each rr is different as to the types of duties of its special agents, so check it out. Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4904 users online. 273 members and 4631 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X