300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• States/departments with no uncorrected or relaxed vision requirements

Currently going through the recruitment process with my local department and i have come to a road block as they require a Uncorrected vision standard that I am unable to pass. I wear contacts / glasses that allow me to see 20/20 vision. My vision without them is 20/400 in both eyes. I don't do anything without my contacts in or a pair of glasses on... because I can’t see with out them. I was wondering what are some departments that allow you to wear glasses or contacts as long as it’s corrected to 20/20 and don’t care about uncorrected.

What happens when your glasses get knocked off in a fight or you lose a contact? You become worthless if you can’t see...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Ragin1794
      Ragin1794 commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally get it and understand it guess I’ll have to give up the dream of working in law enforcement all together as i can’t even be a crime scene tech in my state as to be one you first have to be a officer. Just sucks if this means it’s the end since apparently only one of my eyes is good enough to get surgery on. And my bad eye is the one that isn’t able guess I’ll have to look for employment doing something else.

You're allowed to get eye surgery, such as Lasik, if that'll help you meet the eye sight requirements. You'll just have a 3 to 12 month waiting period minimum before you can attempt to pass the eye requirements post surgery. So if it is your dream to work in a LEO field, explore getting a surgery and then go from there.

Comment

• Ragin1794
      Ragin1794 commented
      Editing a comment
      Only one eye is good (my good eye) and the other is t good enough to have to surgery done

• FishStix
      FishStix commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no clue how the surgeries work but is it possible that maximizing the eye sight in your good eye could make your binocular vision improve to the 20/100 standard? Some agencies require individual eye sight to be at a certain level, while others are focused on binocular vision only.

• Ragin1794
      Ragin1794 commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly don’t know that’s a good question I’ll keep that in mind when i see a doctor soon

Honestly don’t know that’s a good question I’ll keep that in mind when i see a doctor soon

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin1794 View Post
      Currently going through the recruitment process with my local department and i have come to a road block as they require a Uncorrected vision standard that I am unable to pass. I wear contacts / glasses that allow me to see 20/20 vision. My vision without them is 20/400 in both eyes. I don't do anything without my contacts in or a pair of glasses on... because I can’t see with out them. I was wondering what are some departments that allow you to wear glasses or contacts as long as it’s corrected to 20/20 and don’t care about uncorrected.
      Unfortunately the standards are so different for so many different agencies. I have bad eyes and got DQ'ed from one place on the spot when I failed their vision test. I eventually found a department that had a relaxed-ish standard. Some departments may not put as big of an emphasis on the issue and you may also have an appeal if they DQ you for medical.

The standards are just so different for everyone. I wanted to go federal but I could never meet the 20/50 standard or whatever it is. I also can't get lasik, unfortunately.

If you can get lasik, I'd do it, provided it is safe for you. It's not that expensive anymore, maybe like $1,000 per eye. And many departments that I've seen don't really have a wait period for lasik.

I know man, it's sucks. Especially since it's a massive double standard. If you do get into law enforcement and can ever change it in your department...

I'd start by checking out the website for the requirements and then if it's not clear contacting a recruiter. Some recruiters are going to be more helpful than others, but expect a lot of "you have to meet standards" answers... which means they probably don't know, lol. It's going to be hit/miss.

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      What happens when your glasses get knocked off in a fight or you lose a contact? You become worthless if you can’t see...
      That's a nonsense statement. I too have bad vision. As do many others in law enforcement.

Do you think older officers whose vision gets bad should be fired? If not, then this standard is a double standard that should be abolished. Be consistent.

It's like demanding new recruits pass a PT test and then letting officers gain so much weight they get winded by walking up stairs or can't keep up a foot pursuit above a fast walking pace.

It's unfortunate such arbitrary standards still exist in 2019. If someone's eyes are correctable with contacts or glasses they should be hired (assuming they pass their background investigation obviously)... or older officers who cannot meet the vision standard should be fired. I hate double standards.
      Last edited by Johnny5678; 07-06-2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Ragin1794
        Ragin1794 commented
        Editing a comment
        I know plenty of older officers that need glasses to see and plenty of officers that damn sure can’t pass a fitness test i mean just look at the current sheriff in Philadelphia glasses. It’s ok tho i could some Department’s that will take me as long as i wear my contacts

If you are 20/400, it’s not a “none sense statement”. OP is essentially blind without correction. Read...perhaps your skipping over that part shows you still have some vision problems...

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• KJB
        KJB commented
        Editing a comment
        You're right, like 100%. As an officer you gotta start at a fairly young age. If you are starting at 20/400 at say 35 then what's that going to be in 20 years at 55? 20/800 correctable to 20/40?

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      If you are 20/400, it’s not a “none sense statement”. OP is essentially blind without correction. Read...perhaps your skipping over that part shows you still have some vision problems...
      Yes, it is a nonsense statement and it's a stupid double standard. Without glasses or contacts I can see objects in front of me and I can tell if it's someone I know, but I can't tell strangers apart. They would literally look like "skinny white blob" if it were some skinny white suspect.

I also can't drive without glasses or contacts... like many officers...

Never once has it been an issue. Someone with contacts will have pretty much 0% chance of them getting "knocked out" during a fight. If a contact falls out during shift then go back to the station and put in another contact, as any police officer with contacts or glasses should be a good cop and have a backup pair.

It also doesn't matter if you're 22 with terrible vision or 42 with terrible vision. If you are a cop with terrible vision, by your standard, that cop should either not be hired or fired. Being 22 with terrible vision is no different than a 42 year old cop with terrible vision.

You can fix terrible vision with lasik. Unfortunately a lot of cops who get really fat are a bigger safety issue than their colleagues who "might" get their glasses knocked off. I'd rather have a backup with glasses who "might" get them knocked off than a 300 pound backup who can't keep up with a foot chase beyond "brisk walking pace."

Let's not act like this profession is full of Captain American specimens, please.
      Last edited by Johnny5678; 07-07-2019, 06:38 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5426 users online. 179 members and 5247 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X