300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RSORX8510 View Post
    Have they ever advertise this as an entry level before where the agency pays for the training (I wish lol) and license? Interested in this position but process of obtaining a license seems ludacris esp if you dont have any boat experience.
    short answer is no. Honestly we don't have a problem filling these positions. Lots of former Coast Guard or Border Patrol guys with the MLETP (marine law enforcement course) apply and or local cops who served on marine patrol units.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post

short answer is no. Honestly we don't have a problem filling these positions. Lots of former Coast Guard or Border Patrol guys with the MLETP (marine law enforcement course) apply and or local cops who served on marine patrol units.
      I’m in the process with BP; might just do some marine time if the opportunity arises and put some time in then apply

Comment

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        If this is one of your career goals, AMO, I would ensure that you pick a station if hired that has a boat patrol. If you take an inland checkpoint for example, you will likely never get on boats. In most BP sectors, boats are a station asset, so only agents at those stations can put in. As opposed to a sector asset where any agent in the area can apply.

• good luck, the BP is a great place to start a career and there are a lot of opportunities' too

Comment

Have they ever advertise this as an entry level before where the agency pays for the training (I wish lol) and license? Interested in this position but process of obtaining a license seems ludacris esp if you dont have any boat experience.
        They used to in the past hire as a 7 without OUPV. Talking to AMO brass in the past, they have no plans to go back to that. And they don't really need to either.

Don't let me discourage you, but I've never met a MIA who wasn't Coast Guard, Navy, Border Patrol boat agent, or some type of mariner in their past. I think it would be very tough to get picked up simply because you have a 6 pack or better, but no maritime experience otherwise. And I work with a ton of them, quite often. Just met a new crew they flew in for some work with us recently. Again, 3 of the 4 were Border Patrol guys, and the fourth was a Coastie.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• decleator
          decleator commented
          Editing a comment
          I recently joined Border Patrol as a GL - 7. I am very interested in the near future of becoming a marine interdiction agent. The issue is I have no boating experience. My duty station is about an hour east of San Diego, CA. With my station being so far east there is no boat patrol. Any suggestions on how to get the proper experience in order to qualify for the position. Would I have to take a part time job working on a boat to get experience? Thanks in advance.

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          I joined the coast guard reserves as a boatswain's mate just to get the experience for MIA. So with no boat patrol in your area, you're gonna have to go big or go home if you want it

• I already work for AMO (aviation side) and I even hold a 50 ton master license and when they offered me a MIA position it was at the GS9 step 10. No thanks I went to the air side. The MIA's I know have a ball doing the job, but it will take a toll on your body. Most off them I personally know have back and knee problems from the constant pounding in rough seas.

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

They used to in the past hire as a 7 without OUPV. Talking to AMO brass in the past, they have no plans to go back to that. And they don't really need to either.

Don't let me discourage you, but I've never met a MIA who wasn't Coast Guard, Navy, Border Patrol boat agent, or some type of mariner in their past. I think it would be very tough to get picked up simply because you have a 6 pack or better, but no maritime experience otherwise. And I work with a ton of them, quite often. Just met a new crew they flew in for some work with us recently. Again, 3 of the 4 were Border Patrol guys, and the fourth was a Coastie.
          Thanks for the insightful feedback. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Career goal is to land an 1811 job but I have been intrigued by the MIA and AEA positions and would be a dream to land any one of them.

Comment

Thanks for the insightful feedback. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Career goal is to land an 1811 job but I have been intrigued by the MIA and AEA positions and would be a dream to land any one of them.
            Border Patrol would set you up good for that. As mentioned, BP and then BP boat patrol is a great lead to MIA, and BP is also a great lead to 1811. I made 1811 twice (two apps at the same time, calls within weeks of each other so both were going off my BP resume and nothing more) off my BP career. Great place to spend time as well. I miss it daily.
            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Air Marine gets several CITP slots per year and many go vacant. My office had a CITP slot open a few months ago and nobody wanted to go.
              @ RSORX8510 If you get can get on with the BP and get to a station with boat/river patrol, after spending a year on the boat/river patrol go take a weeks vacation and pay to get your Coast Guard Capt. license then apply for a MIA slot. After a year or two as a MIA, you can probably get the CITP course then you could apply for a 1811 job and really have a leg up on others since you have already completed the CITP class.

Comment

• Can you obtain your OUPV license with inland boating time? Or do you need near coastal or offshore time?

Where I work, I have done a ton of boating enforcement patrols on a lake but the ocean is almost 900 miles away....I am thinking I will only be able to obtain my Masters Inland License and I guess MIA would not accept that...Am I correct?

Comment

• battlewagon
                  battlewagon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, any body of water is good to go.

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                Can you obtain your OUPV license with inland boating time? Or do you need near coastal or offshore time?

Where I work, I have done a ton of boating enforcement patrols on a lake but the ocean is almost 900 miles away....I am thinking I will only be able to obtain my Masters Inland License and I guess MIA would not accept that...Am I correct?
                I would certainly think so. I earned my OUPV with time on the Detroit River and Lakes Erie & Huron. My 50 ton was also completed on the Great Lakes. AMO doesn't care where or how you earned the license, just that you have one. One word of advice, the chart test for AMO is no joke, it would be wise to brush up on the COLREGS and charting. Make sure you understand set & drift, and plotting with a protractor and compass, not just using a GPS chart plotter.
                Last edited by DiverB72; 11-14-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10945 users online. 462 members and 10483 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X