300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlowRide View Post
    I have been reading these threads for almost a year now and thought that they (along with Delphi and 911 jobs) have been a great source of information for the most part. I finally decided to post.

I am a current Fed (Border Patrol) and recently received a COE for the Marine Interdiction Agent position. The COE did not list the specific geographic location for the job, but I assume it is for one of the three locations I chose when applying.

I have many friends and former co-workers who currently work for A&M as MIAs and AIAs and took the opportunity to call them up and do some research. I specifically asked them questions regarding daily operations, future plans for the agency, and dealing with the new changes (CS to CBP, MEO to MIA, etc.). Without getting into specifics I was given positive answers for all of my questions and was left with a good impression. The one thing I really liked about A&M was the high caliber of agents. A&M mostly hires folks that have something to bring to the table (prior LE, military, or marine experience). There is only a small number of MIAs in the country, which makes for an extremely selective group.

I will post more updates as I receive them. Now I will weigh the pros and cons of possibly moving and switching careers. Congrats the other members which have also received a COE.

SR
    Ten four. Good post. Keep us posted with whatever pros and cons you come up with. Also switching careers. Any info would be really helpful. Thanks and congrats!

Comment

• Coastie,
      Yeah I have to go through the full BI as I am sure everyone who applied under the Public Announcement will. Thanks for the heads up on the CASS system. It is nice to see that they have recieved the information sent.
      The announcement that just hit required everyone to go to Miami for a practical exam, written exam, and interview. I think that will be good for everyone. People will be able to show their experience underway and demonstrate what they can and can't do on the interceptors.

Comment

• Slowride..
        Congratulations on getting hired. Did you apply under the Public or Status Candidate announcement?

Comment

• Boat, when I submitted my resume, it was Candidate Status, not open to public at the time. I applied under VOE. As far as interceptors, from what I'm getting from one who just finished all his training, it doesn't matter how good people think they are, when they're at the boat training, it's all a new game, their game, the way they want it done. I have conducted many high speed boat pursuits while stationed at S. Padre Island on CG boats, and on Customs Midnight express alongside MIA, and Border Patrol Agents, and they do things a certain way. This is coming from a former Coastie who has as much interceptor training and experience as I do, and even he was humbled. By the way, I'm taking my BP exam in Feb. just in case this falls through for me. I’m trying to at least get a foot in the door. (37 in 3 days so time is getting short for me. I know CBP goes to 40yrs. old now, but why wait any longer right?)

Andy, drop me a line with your email address and I'll fill you in on the area as much as I can. I was stationed there for 4 1/2 years and lived on the island, Port Isabel and Brownsville so I have a decent idea of the place.

Happy Hunting guys and I'll let you know if I hear anything from MHC.

Comment

• Recently received my coe and got it mailed out. I only got to choose three locations though, so i guess i will see how that goes. Also i seen where they are starting to send applicants to Miami for testing, interviewing, and practical execises. Is that starting for the current announcements that are out right now?? I am also active duty Coast Guard, looking to see if anyone had any pros or cons on the transition over...
            Last edited by boat_boy; 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Coastie98, yeah, I have heard the same thing. Even the basics are retaught so that everyone has the same skill sets to begin with. Its better that way for future training, communication, as well as uniformity. The job pa certainly going to be challenging but I don't think people go into this looking for a cushiony job.

Comment

• agreed....

Comment

• New to this post but two of my friends got the marine job and start the academy in April. They both are ex cops, currently FAMs, both have captain’s licenses, and both own boats and they both love the water.

I also applied but did not get the job. I am happy that my two buddies got on and they are both happy to get out of the FAM service.

Seems like a cool job and wish I had it, the FAM job is killing my rear/butt!

Comment

• FAM? Sorry, but what's that stand for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coastie98 View Post
                      FAM? Sorry, but what's that stand for?
                      Federal Air Marshals

Comment

• Frequently Asked to Move

Comment

• Ahhh, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by cicjqpp View Post
                            It is great to hear that the work environment is good down there. I can't wait to get started. What's your opinion of the area as far as a place to live and things to do with a family? Just trying to get a basic idea of the place being that I have never been there before.

Thanks and good luck to you guys.
                            Andy
                            Port Isabel is very small but you could rent a condo on the water for reasonable. I forget the town....but between Los Fresnos and Port Isabel is where a few MIA guys live. Brownsville is a bit of a drive. Last I heard out of the Sup's mouth is he wants everyone on a 1/2 hour recall distance.

As for family, South Padre Island....the beach is nice. Great fishing both offshore and ICW. Between Brownsville, McAllen and the other towns near buy there is every store you would ever need.

The only draw back IMO is the theft down there is a bit out of control. Dont let it deture you though......each duty station is what you make it.

Lets not forget some of the best food you will ever eat!!!!!
                            I swear to God im going to pistol whip the next guy who says "Shenanigans" .......

Comment

• Has anyone sent their pack in and it is not showing up in cass? I'm assuming everyone's is coming in now and they are getting backed up. Hopefully it shows up soon....

Comment

• I spoke with MHC and they received my package. It hasn't shown up on cass yet however.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5089 users online. 298 members and 4791 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X