300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redrum3215 View Post
    There is a CITP class starting in 2 weeks, then another in June, late July and September, with a possibility of last minute add on classes in FY20. Looks like 7 to 10 more classes in FY-21. West coast cities are in need of bodies. Don’t check “willing to go anywhere” unless you really are. 9/10 of those who do back out when they get places like Yakima, Sierra Vista, Puerto Rico, etc... Those folks are removed from the process.
    Good old West coast! Just remember you get San Fran FD you will be there for at least 5-7 years. That division is very hard to transfer out of. My class was a all “west coast class” 7 years ago and many of us are still trying to transfer out. Just an FYI..

Comment

• Costanza
      Costanza commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take it, I'll just rent some space on a BART car and be quasi-homeless! That's what the Agents were saying at the physical agility test, they laughed when I mentioned trying to get an office outside of California.

Good looking out Redrum3215 ! Costanza speaking from experience in reference to the beard but rock on if you want to be clean shaven.

Comment

Has anyone finished the process yet? I took the test last April and already done with the process as of last week. Now waiting game.....USMS already offered me two offices (don’t want to bus down to a 7) leaning towards ATF.

Comment

• Costanza
        Costanza commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you define “done with the process?” You mean, poly, background, medical etc? You must have started way earlier than most of us, most of us just started with the application in early to mid 2019. I’m still in the begging stages..

May19: Application
        Aug19: Test
        Sept19: Physical
        Feb20: Interview(waiting for yay or nay on that)

I would say roll with the Marshals(unless they don’t care and let you sit and wait on making a decision but I can’t imagine that’s the case) and then when ATF calls, move on over if you want ATF that bad. My buddy did almost a year at FLETC because he went for Deportation Officer and within a few months of graduation he got picked up for HSI, right back to FLETC.

Originally posted by bpa966 View Post
      Has anyone finished the process yet? I took the test last April and already done with the process as of last week. Now waiting game.....USMS already offered me two offices (don’t want to bus down to a 7) leaning towards ATF.

As they say, bird in the hand...

Both USMS and ATF will send you to CITP, so if ATF calls
      with an offer during that time, at least your time at FLETC won’t be “wasted” time. ATF will just place you in an SABT class since you already enrolled in CITP/completed CITP. In my
      opinion, the tougher decision comes when you’re in the Marshals add on academy, or post graduation from that academy and ATF calls with an offer.

Comment

I took the written around March/April 2019 for ATF, finished everything last week which was the medical for me...I have a great Station with BP right now and would rather bus down to a 9-10 with ATF than a 7-10 with USMS. I’ll probably hold out for right now as I’m happy where I’m at anyway ....just curious where everyone was at thanks fellas.

Comment

• bpa966
          bpa966 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes less than 1.5 years total ...ATF can hire at a 9-10 thats a 9 step 10...not a GS10 ....

• Chifan12
          Chifan12 commented
          Editing a comment
          Would love to know how you've moved so much faster than literally everybody else whose applied in the last oh 5 years, but I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

• obuck34
          obuck34 commented
          Editing a comment
          . .
          Last edited by obuck34; 02-18-2020, 07:30 PM.

• bpa966
          bpa966 commented
          Editing a comment
          A co worker has waited three years , he said that also...timing is what I’ve been told.... I’m wanting a specific office and I don’t know anyone in ATF.

My initial inquiry to ATF was October of 2018 just FYI

Comment

• Costanza
          Costanza commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems like a decent turnaround for getting everything done so congrats on that. And I guess if you like your gig and are in no rush, then just kick back and wait for the call! Just hate to see a Marshal spot go but it is what it is!

• bpa966
          bpa966 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree , my friend was a marshal went over to DSS ....Marshals is great I don’t want to come in at a 7 when I can pick up a 9 with other agencies...plus USMS doesn’t give take home rides off the bat down here. Not an easy choice but I’m sitting pretty right now picking up my 12-6 soon with a paid for house...no rush

Field Agents with the Marshals also stop at a 12. Atf SA's stop at 13. Something else to consider.

Comment

Marshals just recently got 13.

Comment

Costanza- anything since the interview?

Comment

• Costanza
              Costanza commented
              Editing a comment
              My friend, it's classic radio silence and the silence is golden because that means we haven't been 86'd yet, there is still hope!

• kmstanton
              kmstanton commented
              Editing a comment
              I know. I don’t mind the waiting- it’s the not knowing.

Deleted.....
            Last edited by Watex; 03-04-2020, 07:21 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

Thinking about applying to the Next Schedule B announcement, but had a question for the Forum: I’m a 40 yo Fed Leo. Would you guys risk the jump to ATF/Academy so late in the game?

Comment

• Costanza
                Costanza commented
                Editing a comment
                My dude, age is only a number. If you are and feel like you are in solid shape or can get into in the next year or two, GO FOR IT. You’d regret it if you didn’t. Let’s say even worse case scenario you didn’t get picked up until 44/45 you can still put in a solid 12 years until you are forced out. Getting that 13 and maxing out your TSP for the the last 8 years of your career. Not too shabby

• bpa966
                bpa966 commented
                Editing a comment
                Do not let that scare you. I have several friends that started off at my agency at that age and went to 1811 positions...the pt isn’t as bad as marshals or bp according to several of them...with that said I’m sure it’s a bit harder than say a CBP Officer academy I would imagine. If you want it go for it...once you get 1811 you can lateral wherever you want more or less.

• mikedaly50
                mikedaly50 commented
                Editing a comment
                where/when is the next schedule b announcement rumored to be?

Great points! You have wisdom beyond your years. I think I’ll go for it!

Comment

• Costanza
                Costanza commented
                Editing a comment
                lol I’m only 6 years behind you and I have had the same thought as you since these hiring processes are so slow. And the answer to myself is always “I’m rollin, no matter what!” (If I get picked up)

Costanza yeah I think that’s the best attitude. Being overly preoccupied with breaking a leg during academy isn’t productive. I wonder how brutal/PT-centric the ATF academy is....

Comment

• Costanza
                Costanza commented
                Editing a comment
                I would go with the mindset that it’s Marshal level so that I wouldn’t be overwhelmed when I arrived. And you’re right, breaking a leg is the last thing that we should be worrying about because that could happen at 18 years old or 50. I would be super lame while I was there, nose in the books, no G bar and very limited Savannah and St. Simons trips. Only bad coming from those endeavors! Just like when my buddies would get Article 15’s for hoodrat activities in ol’ Kunsan when they would go off base.
                Last edited by Costanza; 03-07-2020, 12:00 AM. Reason: I proof read AFTER I hit send, like an idiot.

• Redrum3215
                Redrum3215 commented
                Editing a comment
                PT for ATF new hires is actually pretty brutal. Lots of CrossFit type workouts. It’s not all running and calisthenics. They will PT you with your class (which will likely include other Agency’s LEO trainees in CITP) and separately in the mornings a few days a week. Day two you’ll retake your PTT test. Failures get 30 days to remediate. Those who can’t are let go. If you’re going to make the move- hit the gym hard and run frequently- otherwise stay with your current agency.
                Last edited by Redrum3215; 03-07-2020, 10:50 AM. Reason: Needed to add info.

Redrum3215 thanks for the information. How current is the intel on the ATF Academy? Also, how representative is the PT test scores to your level of fitness for the academy? I guess what I’m asking is, if you get great scores on your pre-employment PT test, does that mean you will be fit enough to survive the academy?

Comment

• mih pihsrow
                mih pihsrow commented
                Editing a comment
                If you can pass the PTT you can pass the PT. It isnt run you until you pass out or anything like that. You work out with everyone. Some of the workouts are individual, some are as a team. Most of it is go at your own pace kind of thing. You will do a cross fit murph in your plate carrier but you will have like an hour to do it. Its not as intense as the USMS nor is it designed to be.

The PTT test is the same as the one you take in the hiring process. It's pass/fail. The PT sessions are quite a bit more challenging than the test. The intel is as good as it gets and as recent as today.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6992 users online. 380 members and 6612 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X