Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking first offer vs waiting for better offer

Situation:

Graduating w/Masters degree in May; in several hiring pipelines for local PD's. Long term goal is local or federal - recently interviewed with DEA.

Dept A is the ideal job - big city where I am from, pay is good, near family, familiar setting, give back to community that raised me, etc... Passed written, waiting on physical, very good hiring outlook for next few years. Requires me to move back home (into family's rental apartment) from college after graduation which isn't a problem other than cost of living, student loan debt, rent, etc... This was the plan until very recently...

Dept B is offering me a job right now - very, very small Sheriffs dept in a very poor area, pay is quite low (however they told me they are finalizing a new union contract which will result in a considerable pay increase). They are willing to put me on the road uncertified right now, riding with the Sgt until my academy date. Already scheduled me for 40-hour firearms course if I say yes. Want me to move to the area/have take home car (currently live 60 min away). I am not willing nor able to move to the area for various reasons and would rather commute. A friend at a local dept started his career here and said it's one of those places that you go to in order to get certified, do your minimum commitment, and move on to another dept when the time is right.

Girlfriend willing to follow me - wants to get her masters degree - staying in the area would allow her to do that.

I have several friends and family members in the career field advising both options. Just looking to see if anyone had a similar situation, the choice you made, and your thoughts about it after the fact.
    Last edited by Saluki89; 04-30-2019, 12:07 PM.

Sure. Wait. Got a few years before you want to work...? Maybe never get hired?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely ready and willing to start working, even if it is not ideal. I'm scrappy and willing to put in overtime and bust my butt.

Make any decision as though it’s a permanent one and you won’t be able to ever lateral or move on. You never know what may come up down the line. That being said, rule of thumb in law enforcement is take the first gig you’re offered.

I personally faced a similar conundrum on the federal side recently but I applied to places I knew I’d want to be regardless of who contacted me first, and I took that offer.
    God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - I have heard that, and have also heard the opposite - I guess everyone's experience is different.

I've worked in violent big cities and I've worked in rural places so backwater some would call them pimples on the a s s e s of progress....

In the big city, you'll be baptized in blood from the get go (when you say big city, I assume you mean something the size of Houston or Nashville, btw.) Within the first week you'll be picking casings off the sidewalk and corralling a small mob of shrieking screaming family members and gang associates promising revenge on who killed their cherished loved one, the latest to fall as two rival gangs beef about something someone recently said on Facebook. Repeat often over the next twenty five years. Backup will always be there when needed, and in large numbers.

As for the small sheriff department, some may think it's Andy and Barney, Opie and Aunt May. That wasn't my experience. In fact, two of the rural places I worked were (to a certain degree) more dangerous because bad people who live in deserts and swamps know how to make bodies disappear. But unlike the big city, the bloodshed wasn't random or constant. Backup was often an hour away and sometimes there was no backup at all.

So which will benefit you in the long run? You'll get different skills out of either. In the small department you'll become a jack of various trades: patrolman, homicide detective, dog handler, DUI expert, narc, evidence technician, forensic interviewer, et. al., all at the same time. You will become very resourceful because resources are so few. In the big department you will be assigned a very specific role and stay in your lane because that's how the machine works. Big city resources will be ubiquitous.

As far as feds go, it really makes no difference what you choose. When they hire, they hire en masse and will accept the most basic of qualifications, which is how 22 year old grads who interned at Target loss prevention get picked up.

So flip a coin, or best suggestion: ask your girlfriend what she thinks (assuming you like her and want your plan to include her interests too....)

I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very big city - known for its violent crime rates. However it is the city that raised me and I know it inside and out. I am willing to put that off for a few years though - maybe it will benefit me doing so.

Dept B is very small - 2 deputies, chief, and sheriff, (plus me). My thinking is that as long as I get certified, that's all that matters.

Would like her to attain her life goals while I attain mine. I don't want her forsaking her personal interests for mine so I'm trying to fuze the two together.
      Last edited by Saluki89; 04-30-2019, 11:48 AM.

No better time than now to start training yourself to trust your gut or your own instinct. With that being said, what does your gut say to do? Go with it and accept whatever comes along with it. Having potentially two opportunities is a great problem to have.

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Gut tells me to take the job now and see what happens.

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
    Situation:

Graduating w/Masters degree in May; in several hiring pipelines for local PD's. Long term goal is local or federal - recently interviewed with DEA.

Dept A is the ideal job - big city where I am from, pay is good, near family, familiar setting, give back to community that raised me, etc... Passed written, waiting on physical, very good hiring outlook for next few years. Requires me to move back home (into family's rental apartment) from college after graduation which isn't a problem other than cost of living, student loan debt, rent, etc... This was the plan until very recently...

Dept B is offering me a job right now - very, very small Sheriffs dept in a very poor area, pay is quite low (however they told me they are finalizing a new union contract which will result in a considerable pay increase). They are willing to put me on the road uncertified right now, riding with the Sgt until my academy date. Already scheduled me for 40-hour firearms course if I say yes. Want me to move to the area/have take home car (currently live 60 min away). I am not willing nor able to move to the area for various reasons and would rather commute (friend who worked there said it's not a big deal if you don't live in the area - just have to keep pushing the conversation off with my reasons). A friend at a local dept started his career here and said it's one of those places that you go to in order to get certified, do your minimum commitment, and move on to another dept when the time is right.

Girlfriend willing to follow me - wants to get her masters degree - staying in the area would allow her to do that.

I have several friends and family members in the career field advising both options. Just looking to see if anyone had a similar situation, the choice you made, and your thoughts about it after the fact.
    That might be the way to go...at least until Dept A makes a hiring decision. Dept B can offer you field experience (and a crap salary) RIGHT NOW. If nothing else, you'll get a feel for that department (good or bad) and learn a few things. If/when Dept A offers you a job, jump ship. Ideally that will happen before Dept B makes too much of an investment in you, but at the end of the day you gotta do what's best for you and your family long term. If Dept A falls through, keep applying to other agencies and make the most of your time at Dept B. Who knows, you might actually like it there, and if the new contract goes through the pay might become less of a factor.

PS: You said you're about to graduate with a Masters degree. How do you intend to ever get out from under your student loan debt working for either of those departments? If I had to guess, I'd say Dept B probably doesn't pay enough to even cover the interest on your loans. Your girlfriend also wants to get her masters degree. More debt. One of you guys (if you intend to stay together) had better get a job that pays more than peanuts. Best of luck!
    Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 04-30-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was fortunate enough to have a GA for graduate school - she is pursuing one as well. My gut tells me to take the job now and see what happens.

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      The GA certainly helped. Follow your gut. Get the experience now. ANY experience is better than sitting around waiting for a better offer. It's unlikely it will close doors for you...but it very well may open some down the road.

Dept B wants me to commission this Friday.

Comment

We can’t decide for you. That’s why you have a college degree.

Comment

He's not asking us to make the decision for him. Nothing wrong with seeking input and taking different opinions into consideration. This has absolutely nothing to do with his education (or anyone else's).

Comment

I turned down 3 1811 gigs before I accepted one...I was already a cop though.

Comment

He is asking us. He wants us to decide for him. His college education IS part of it: learning how to research and decide.

Comment

• Saluki89
              Saluki89 commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you just assume my gender?

• not.in.MY.town
              not.in.MY.town commented
              Editing a comment
              Saluki89 I made the same assumption. While it may or may not be wrong, it's not an unreasonable assumption based on 1) your choice of avatar, 2) your reference to your girlfriend (which at least statistically suggests you're male), and 3) the fact that a 4-employee Sheriff's Office offered you a job (agencies that small don't usually want to make the necessary accommodations for females). Feel free to correct me.

Oh, it was a joke haha. I am definitely a male, despite all the options these days.

I'm taking the job with Dept B; Friday I will be sworn in.

Thanks all.

Comment

• nonotnow
              nonotnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Why not work at debt B until debt A calls? I know tons of people who have done that. Including myself.

Well I got my uniform today. Scheduled for 40 hr soon and FT academy in a few months. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11977 users online. 450 members and 11527 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X