300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negotiating pay increase

So I've been in multiple very long hiring processes and they seem to be coming to the final step, the final offer, shortly. In the time its taken for me to process through everything for these offers at my current job I have progressed through the GS scale from a GS 5 to a GS 9. My offers are all for GS 7. Does anyone have any tips for negotiating a pay increase or at best a GS increase before signing the final offer. I suspect/hope that I will receive the final offers in the next month and want to be prepared. While these jobs are incredible offers and rare to come around if I had to bust down I would but I would like to at least attempt to come out a little better for it. Any experiences, tips, anecdotes I'd find any and all of it helpful.

If you’re a federal employee, they’ll try to match your current pay using HPR. This is limited to within grade steps. For instance, if you’re a GS-9 Step 4, and you qualified for the GS-7, they’ll give you the additional step increase to match your previous pay. If your previous pay is higher than a GS- Step 10, that’s where the limit would hit and you’d be taking a pay cut to accept the position.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...ble-rate-rule/

Comment

There is no negotiating for entry level positions. They will laugh if you try.

That's the big difference between the G and the private sector.... in the private sector, you can play two companies' offers off each other, and if one company really wants you, they will add to the pot... higher salary, more time off, blah blah. The G could not care less though and will simply move on to the next person if you don't take what's offered.

Now situations do exist where Person A gets hired at a higher grade than Person B for the same job, but it's not because Person A has dope negotiating skills. It's because Person A has whatever combination of factors that OPM is obligated to recognize, like prior gov experience, education level, etc.
      There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

I am a federal employee and one of the offers is for a position within my same agency.The other is for a completely different agency.

Comment

I don't see how that changes the equation. If you tell your current agency you are leaving unless they match the new offer, they will say Bye Felicia and forget you ever existed....
          There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you do a fine job of explaining the government is not like the private sector when it comes to salary negotiation...

I am in a similar situation.

I got a final offer from CBP at GS-9 step 1 not long ago and I explained to them that I am currently a WS-8 with the BOP which is equal to about a GS9 step 5 or so. I asked the hiring official if they would match my pay, and she said that they would step me out to my current pay, they just needed to confirm my current pay with my current HR and OPM.

We will see if this actually happens, but it would be nice not to take a pay cut for the 1st year!

Comment

• Co0311
            Co0311 commented
            Editing a comment
            I worked for the BOP and left as a 7, then returned for a short period a few years later but as a 6 (no idea why). They matched my pay along with the cost of living and other increases that happened during that gap, so I was a 6 step 5 or so.

And that pay adjustment was all done after I started, so I imagine CBP can do the same. Also, I didn't ask about that adjustment (I had no idea it existed). You might have to press CBP HR if they don't take the initiative themselves.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6022 users online. 258 members and 5764 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X