300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Violations Bureau Violation Notices

The citations issued through CVB are a joke. Literally, I could write someone 500 citations and nothing would happen. They wouldn't show up on a background check unless someone went to CVB, which no one does. If a warrant is issued for failure to appear, the USMS is not going to go after someone with a petty offense CVB warrant. The warrants are not uploaded into NCIC, so if a local or state officer pulls someone over, it will not show up. There are no "points" assessed against your state license for moving violations. In my district, the Magistrate Judge said he will not impose any jail time or community service for CVB citations, only fines. CVB citations are literally not worth the paper they are printed on. They hold zero weight.

Maybe some other fed. officers who issue them can chime in.

You're right.

Only a handful of agencies use them. And they are mostly agencies which are not LE as their primary mission.

And AUSA's cringe when they get assigned magistrate court.

The federal system is built upon grand juries and indictments, Rule 11 plea agreements and district court trials. It's designed to address serious felonies. Not dogs off leash at Fire Island National Seashore or parking in a handicapped spot at a VA hospital....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hanlon's razor

Comment

And what does this have to do with employment and hiring questions?
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Absolutely nothing. OP is venting. Crosspost to the “Things I dislike but can do nothing to change” thread.

Hanlon's razor

Comment

It is giving applicants a look at the "federal" system. So many people come on here and say, " I want to be a federal officer. It is my life long goal" and then they realize any tickets they write are literally worthless and a waste of time.

Comment

Thank you for enlightening the unknowing.

Btw: 1811s don’t issue CVB tickets. Kids, plan your careers accordingly.

Hanlon's razor

Comment

In all candor.. there are magistrate judges who issue arrest warrants for CVB court no shows. Depends on the judge and location.

Serving those warrants is left up to the issuing agency. Depends on the agency and location.

And when time and resources allow, sometimes they’ll conduct a round up of absconders and haul before the judge who issued the warrant.

Cost of a pair of handcuffs: $16 at Galls.com

Cost of a tank of gas to drive three hours to where a violator lives: $46

The look on the face of someone arrested at their place of work for baiting waterfowl 18 months prior and never showed in court: priceless.

Hanlon's razor

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
                The citations issued through CVB are a joke. Literally, I could write someone 500 citations and nothing would happen. They wouldn't show up on a background check unless someone went to CVB, which no one does. If a warrant is issued for failure to appear, the USMS is not going to go after someone with a petty offense CVB warrant. The warrants are not uploaded into NCIC, so if a local or state officer pulls someone over, it will not show up. There are no "points" assessed against your state license for moving violations. In my district, the Magistrate Judge said he will not impose any jail time or community service for CVB citations, only fines. CVB citations are literally not worth the paper they are printed on. They hold zero weight.

Maybe some other fed. officers who issue them can chime in.
                For the most part you are spot on.

Some states do impose points for driving violations, but you are right most do not. I know Virginia assesses points. In the Eastern District of CA the court will assess points but they do by changing the charge in the DMV system (so if you get cited for speeding in natl park under 36 CFR, they will actually say you were charged with a CA Vehicle Code violation.) I think it's illegal/unethical but hey they do it.

As far as jail time on CVB tickets I believe the rules of criminal procedure actually prohibit a judge from sentencing someone to jail on a CVB citation. I know in my district if there is a possibility of jail time based on the charges the judge will order a superseding complaint or information be filed. However I will say I know some people who have opted for jail time on a ticket and I know one judge who has gone with it.

As far as serving warrants, some agencies (VA) actually cannot go out and do "warrant sweeps" so that screws them. In most of the districts I have worked the judge's have issued warrants for FTAs but I have worked in one district where they did not issue warrants. I can say in my area the natural resource agencies get together to do warrant sweeps on our CVB warrants but I think it's rare across the country.

In some parts of the country federal LEOs are deputized/given state/local authority and simply write everything into state court and don't even deal with the CVB. Honestly, if it were up to me this would be the way to go. However, there are many supervisors/chiefs out there who think all cases (no matter if it's a speeding ticket or something more severe) should go federal if they can. I disagree and think if the sheriff/DA is good with you writing state tickets then you should write it wherever it would be dealt with best. I can tell you that I carry a state and federal/CVB ticketbooks. I have been told if the offense can go federal then write the CVB citation, but if it can only go state then write the state ticket. Meanwhile my counterparts in the other two local fed NR agencies have been told they can write the ticket into whatever court they seem is more fitting.

Comment

If you're a Fed officer in DC where the majority of 0083's outside of DoD/VA work, they use the DC system. Is it a joke. At times...

Places that I know federally sometimes use state citations rather than fed courts for charges from driving to certain misdemeanor offenses.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I have personal associations with a family who owns a summer home near a unit of the Park Service. Nice people but horrible park users. They own a big dumb black lab and frequently take the dog to run off-leash at a beach with a sign stating ALL DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH. Being the type of people who don't care what the sign says, they get issued 4-5 tickets a year by rangers and this has been going on for 20 years (I wouldn't be surprised if they've been issued 100 CVB violation notices over the years, all of which got promptly wadded and tossed in the trash). I'm amazed at some point there hasn't been an arrest; evidently this particular park is one of the ones that doesn't go after FTAs, or has a weak magistrate judge.

Conversely, I've witnessed magistrate judges issue warrants for a single dog off leash ticket, and the next time court is held, the defendant is standing there in belly chains and ankle chains, shell-shocked to be arrested.

Like most everything else in the G, things ain't done the same everywhere....

Hanlon's razor

Comment

Ignore a CVB violation notice in my district and enjoy getting picked up on a warrant, we also use state cites when appropriate.

Comment

Ours too will eventually generate a warrant.
                        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

In my experience working many different Federal judicial districts, I've seen a little bit of everything. I've seen AUSAs act in disgust when they have to prosecute them, which means no warrants, and ALWAYS dismissal of charges if the defendant FTAs. Basically, only the good people who get ticketed and show up to deal with it get punished.

I've worked in other districts where AUSAs are awesome and prosecute to the full extent. They immediately issue warrants for FTAs, warrants are entered into NCIC, and defendants get jail time. I've seen a particular Federal judge sentence many CVB defendants to 6mo in Federal detention (max out a Class B Misd) for things like their second offense for taking forest products with no permit. First offense was 30 days in Federal detention. This same judge gave defendants a half-day in Federal detention for every ginseng root they had in their possession when caught.

Other districts I've worked in was somewhere in the middle. The point being as Ratatat said above, the federal system varies widely and is really set up for long term investigations. The CVB system is a soul crushing system that destroys morale and work ethic. I've thought many times the general public would be outraged if they knew how bad it truly was. It is disheartening.

Comment

Everything federal is based on the local rules of the U.S. Court in question. Where I am located, the various agencies MUST pursue CVB violations themselves. For example, our officers must issue the summons in hand or via certified mail if the fine is not paid or mandatory appearance avoided. After all lesser means are exhausted the agency can request a warrant and are normally approved by the magistrate judges. (I.e. Court Liaison Work.) All previous comments are correct that this is essentially a garbage disposal for misdemeanor offenses, because the federal courts would rather have AUSA's handling other cases. But, here in this location at least we have a mechanism in place to pursue those who fail to pay or appear. Generally, when they do appear a "resolution" between agency and defendant occurs with a lesser fine. Occasionally a trial is set. Technically you can arrest on all misdemeanor offenses, however this is the rare cases versus the norm. The court system only prefers those who present a flight risk to booked into jail. Generally, this makes sense since most CVB violations are issued by non-law enforcement primary agencies and generally CFR in nature. Most are non-violent violations, which normally don't pose a flight risk. In defense of the court, I will say we have been granted warrants on numerous occasions. Locals usually end up picking them up and "time served in jail" awaiting their apperance is usually the sentence in lieu of paying the fine. So, perfect no.....But, these are non-violent resource crimes or federal property crimes generally and would receive about the same amount of love at the state level.

However, I can speak from experience that where I am located, they do process the information into NCIC and a CFR violation for simple possession of marijuana resulted in an arrest north of here for one of my defendants.
                            Last edited by Revilationz; 04-30-2019, 07:32 PM. Reason: I am located *

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                              For the most part you are spot on.

Some states do impose points for driving violations, but you are right most do not. I know Virginia assesses points. In the Eastern District of CA the court will assess points but they do by changing the charge in the DMV system (so if you get cited for speeding in natl park under 36 CFR, they will actually say you were charged with a CA Vehicle Code violation.) I think it's illegal/unethical but hey they do it.

As far as jail time on CVB tickets I believe the rules of criminal procedure actually prohibit a judge from sentencing someone to jail on a CVB citation. I know in my district if there is a possibility of jail time based on the charges the judge will order a superseding complaint or information be filed. However I will say I know some people who have opted for jail time on a ticket and I know one judge who has gone with it.

As far as serving warrants, some agencies (VA) actually cannot go out and do "warrant sweeps" so that screws them. In most of the districts I have worked the judge's have issued warrants for FTAs but I have worked in one district where they did not issue warrants. I can say in my area the natural resource agencies get together to do warrant sweeps on our CVB warrants but I think it's rare across the country.

In some parts of the country federal LEOs are deputized/given state/local authority and simply write everything into state court and don't even deal with the CVB. Honestly, if it were up to me this would be the way to go. However, there are many supervisors/chiefs out there who think all cases (no matter if it's a speeding ticket or something more severe) should go federal if they can. I disagree and think if the sheriff/DA is good with you writing state tickets then you should write it wherever it would be dealt with best. I can tell you that I carry a state and federal/CVB ticketbooks. I have been told if the offense can go federal then write the CVB citation, but if it can only go state then write the state ticket. Meanwhile my counterparts in the other two local fed NR agencies have been told they can write the ticket into whatever court they seem is more fitting.
                              If I am not mistaken "participating with the State DMV is called an "Abstract" in U.S. Courts. It requires the willingness of the state to participate with the U.S. Government. I know of a state in particular that will NOT do this. Essentially the state agrees to carry the weight of the federal citation as a point assessment as if it were given by a state officer. Southern California participated in this during my time as a DoD Officer. We issued many violations under 18 USC 13 Assimilative Crimes Act for California Vehicle Code. (i.e. CVC 23123 Using a Cell Phones with out a hands free device, etc.) I am not sure if they would accept a CFR violation of traffic offenses though. Perhaps it was easy to accept a law that the fed just adopted on exclusive jurisdiction?

https://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/sites/...G-018/G-18.pdf
                              Example of what the U.S. Court may send to the state DMV if the state participates.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8474 users online. 426 members and 8048 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X