300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Hired by USCP/ USSS UD out of college

Hi everyone, I have a general question regarding USCP and USSS UD. I am looking to enter federal LE upon graduation of college (May 2021). I will have a bachelors degree in Construction Science and Management with superior academic achievement, but no military or LE experience. I have read that these agencies often hire those without experience straight from college, but I wonder what my chances truly would be of obtaining an entry level LE position with either of these agencies.
    Thanks!

You should be ok. Don’t worry. Just finish your degree and apply.

Comment

As long as your background is clean and you pass the interview and fitness test, your chances are very good. Both of these agencies are constantly hiring and have a high rate of attrition. The starting pay is pretty low for the cost of living in the area, and they work mainly stagnant posts. IMO, it's not really a law enforcement position, although you will have small doses from time to time. If you're willing to live in a more remote area, I'd suggest looking into Border Patrol. They're also hiring a ton, but the experience will be much better and you'll make better money. CBP is another option if you're wanting to stay in or close to a big city, as well as the BOP -- again if you're looking more remote but decent experience. All are 6C covered and will start your retirement clock in federal LE. Good luck.

Comment

USCP
        USSS UD
        CBP
        BP
        BOP

These agencies will all take new graduates with little to no experience. They are all good ways to get into FLEO, none of them are bad per se. It just depends on what you are looking for since they each have different missions. Try to keep your background as clean as possible and if it's not, just tell the truth. They aren't looking for perfect candidates just someone that can be truthful and reliable. Other than that make sure to stay in shape and you should be golden. Best of luck.

Comment

I am looking to enter federal LE upon graduation of college (May 2021). I will have a bachelors degree in Construction Science and Management

Or you could make more money in construction and not stand post the next thirty years of your life....
          There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

• Sgt0844
            Sgt0844 commented
            Editing a comment
            hahaha pretty much what ratatatat said. UD and Capitol police guys look miserable when I pass them by. Great starting point as a young recent graduate to get your foot in the fed door but dont plan on retiring with them,

True story: I had a bud in high school named Kenny and all he ever talked about was becoming a state trooper. He went to college to get a CJ degree with the dream that one day, he'd be part of the very prestigious and esteemed state police, with their spit shine leather and creased uniforms and souped up cruisers. Well, Kenny may have had lofty ambitions but he didn't always have much common sense (not that many twenty year olds do, but if your ambition is to go into LE, the smart kids wisen up with the dumb college stuff like MIP or urinating in public. Not Kenny.) In his junior year, Kenny pulled a DUI arrest after a night of meaningless partying, which permanently ended any chances of employment as a trooper.

He didn't have a whole lot going for him and after he graduated with a degree he'd never use, the only work Kenny could get was construction. He started off as a laborer for a big construction company, moved up a notch or two, then started his own company. Now he lives in a big house, drives a big truck, and let's his crews do all the work. I suspect he doesn't have very many wishful moments these days of working midnights and holidays on the freeways.....

My point is you may want to re-consider letting that construction management degree go to waste.
          There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

Keep in mind agencies like USSS UD and USCP are excepted service agencies. Meaning if you have ambitions to go elsewhere to other agencies, you will be ineligible for 'status candidate' job openings, aka federal employee only announcements. May not be a big factor in your future, as many agencies are 'open to all USCs' like HSI has been, and other have gone schedule B which wouldnt hurt you. But just something to consider.

But yes, USSS UD will hire with no degree, no LE experience. I have family with no degree no experience who got picked up by UD. As someone else stated, BP is the same, which was my case going into the FLEO world, and my recommendation for where to start your career.
            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Go for it as a starter LE job, or stay and make rank it’s up to you. It’s very plausible to get hired fresh outta school at those jobs.

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses everyone. I appreciate the help. By all means keep it coming if you have more to share.

Comment

I would also apply to US Park Police if you are looking at uniform fed agencies in the DC area.

Comment

US Park Police and Border Patrol will be the two FLE agencies that are most similar to local agencies. Those two agencies have more of a "traditional" LE mission. USSS UD and USCP will involve a lot of standing post. USSS UD also entails lots of OT and travel; that can be good or bad depending on your personal life.

What's your end goal?

Comment

• hopefulfed36
                      hopefulfed36 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I believe my ultimate end goal would be to obtain an 1811 position. However, I could see myself making a career of USCP/UD with some of the specialty units like dignitary protection with USCP, or others. Would experience with USCP/UD along with a degree make me a competitive candidate for an 1811 position?

• Boot1811
                      Boot1811 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      hopefulfed36 Yeah, USCP or UD experience certainly wouldn't hurt, but it's not the only way in, either. My advice is to start research now as to where you want to end up in the long run. Yeah, be realistic and understand you might not get there quickly, but it's also good to have goals and adjust your career track where able to meet those goals.

Also, start networking. Look for internships. Many federal agencies have interns, and it doesn't hurt to call and ask if you can't find anything on a website. It also doesn't hurt to cold visit an office and ask to speak with an agent about internships or future employment. That said, do your research ahead of time so you're not asking stupid questions.

When you're getting closer to graduation college, apply jobs that you'd enjoy and for which you qualify. If you technically qualify for an 1811 spot and want it, apply. It can't hurt.

Uniformed agencies definitely won't hurt your chances, but just know what you're getting into beforehand. I typically tell people not to use a job or degree or whatever as an ONLY a means to an end, because that end might never happen, and it's silly to be miserable for any period of time for something that isn't an absolute. But if you think you'd benefit personally and enjoy UD or USCP, go for it.

But I can't stress it enough: Network, network, network. As long as it's good networking, it can help a ton.

• hopefulfed36
                      hopefulfed36 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Boot1811 thanks for the insight!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7422 users online. 264 members and 7158 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X