300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering BPA maybe USSS

So as I am starting my 5th year in local LE I have had this urging desire to move on to the next best thing, Fed LE. A lot of this stems from my father retired local LE and the retirement is not nearly adequate enough saying we have to dedicate 28 years of our life to this job. I am currently plain clothes narcotics investigator, SWAT operator and just your all around badass (cocky much?). I like doing hood rat **** with my hood rat friends.

EDIT: So apparently my phone did not post the rest of this message which was super long by the way! So instead of typing it all out again I am just looking for first hand knowledge from people that are currently doing either job on BPA and USSS. My current qualifications: Narcotics Investigator, Gang Investigator, Human Trafficking Investigator.
    Last edited by jkufen; 04-19-2019, 11:44 PM. Reason: Cause screw my phone

Uh, with the vibe I’m getting I think maybe you’re too good for federal service.

Comment

Originally posted by izamsilas View Post
      Uh, with the vibe I’m getting I think maybe you’re too good for federal service.
      This.

Im not USSS or BPA, but the interviewers are going to look at you like your head is screwed on backwards interviewing for USSS UD or BPA if you have investigative experience like that. The choice is yours, but you'll be starting from square one again. Going to be upfront with you, strictly going federal for the benefits is a bad idea.
      Last edited by Levithane; 04-20-2019, 12:38 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

How bad is your local retirement? If you see federal retirement at 34% of high three after 20 years as a step up and a reason to jump federal maybe you should seek another state/local gig...because many state/ local retirements outperform federal retirements...all other things equal.

Comment

You would be bored out of your mind.

People get on, people get off, but the train never stops.

Comment

Originally posted by jkufen View Post
            So as I am starting my 5th year in local LE I have had this urging desire to move on to the next best thing, Fed LE. A lot of this stems from my father retired local LE and the retirement is not nearly adequate enough saying we have to dedicate 28 years of our life to this job. I am currently plain clothes narcotics investigator, SWAT operator and just your all around badass (cocky much?). I like doing hood rat **** with my hood rat friends.

EDIT: So apparently my phone did not post the rest of this message which was super long by the way! So instead of typing it all out again I am just looking for first hand knowledge from people that are currently doing either job on BPA and USSS. My current qualifications: Narcotics Investigator, Gang Investigator, Human Trafficking Investigator.
            So you’re a plain clothes drug cop, that is ALSO a SWAT “operator”? In 5 years, you’ve been in every “high-speed” unit as well? I’m sure you’ll be hired on the spot, wherever you choose to grace with your mere presence.

God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

Of course on paper versus real life I look way more appealing than I feel. I have had a blessed(?) career I have don’t things that many people don’t do their whole career but as far as retirement etc goes in SC we get around 51% of our high 3 years after 27 years of service. I have pretty much capped on my salary at 50k and I’m only 5 years in. There’s not much mobility and unfortunately the way law enforcement is going getting to do the “fun” stuff is slowing coming to an end. I got lucky and came to a medium department 100+- man department on the outskirts on North Charleston, SC (has been ranked as one of the top 10 most dangerous cities for a while). Because our attrition is ridiculous I have been able to move up fast which was good and bad. Good thing is my resume looks fantastic. Bad thing is I have pretty much hit the ceiling. I didn’t realize that their retirement was only 34% of their salary but that’s still probably on par for what I’ll be making in the end. Healthcare is a big issue for me. Here locally 99% of places don’t offer healthcare with retirement and private healthcare is ridiculously expensive. My dad has been fighting this fight since he retired from local LE. Had to go back to work to receive healthcare. I understand for the most part the job will not likely have the adrenaline rushing moments like I get now but I was looking into fed LE as more of a job to secure a decent retirement. One reason I was looking into Border Patrol with the options like BORTAC and BORSTAR to maybe get my adrenaline fix if I’m luckily enough to pass selection.

Comment

Yeah we all look better on paper, don't we? I updated my resume recently, for the first time in years. When I was done, I was like, whoa, this dude is the bomb.... (then I looked in the mirror).

Yes, fed salary and retirement options are better but people addicted to the rush of street work are often VERY disappointed when they go federal. I've known more than a few who resigned after a year or so to return to their old department. And if you ever want to hear some serious complaining, ask a former local if he ever misses doing real cop stuff vs. having to get three levels of permission to kick a door. They will also start spitting on the floor and then weep openly if you ask about the camaraderie, compared to their old crew...

Getting on with a specialty group may alleviate adrenaline withdrawal pangs somewhat, but it's like drinking a can of Miller Lite once a month when you're used to a bottle of Jim Beam every night.

BUT- it does seem like you recognize the party is about to end, as parties always do. If you can get in the right head space about walking away from the only world you've known for the past five years and if the boredom and oversight doesn't drive you to madness, yes, in the long run you'll be better off...

People get on, people get off, but the train never stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                  Yeah we all look better on paper, don't we? I updated my resume recently, for the first time in years. When I was done, I was like, whoa, this dude is the bomb.... (then I looked in the mirror).

Yes, fed salary and retirement options are better but people addicted to the rush of street work are often VERY disappointed when they go federal. I've known more than a few who resigned after a year or so to return to their old department. And if you ever want to hear some serious complaining, ask a former local if he ever misses doing real cop stuff vs. having to get three levels of permission to kick a door. They will also start spitting on the floor and then weep openly if you ask about the camaraderie, compared to their old crew...

Getting on with a specialty group may alleviate adrenaline withdrawal pangs somewhat, but it's like drinking a can of Miller Lite once a month when you're used to a bottle of Jim Beam every night.

BUT- it does seem like you recognize the party is about to end, as parties always do. If you can get in the right head space about walking away from the only world you've known for the past five years and if the boredom and oversight doesn't drive you to madness, yes, in the long run you'll be better off...

Thanks for that. I have come to realize the more fun you have the less you make and vice versa. I know I can’t run and gun my whole career but at the end of my career I would like to have something to show for it (mainly liveable retirement). I guess I always count on the fact that if I do 25 years fed I’ll be early 50s and could come back to local LE if I want but I just like the security of knowing when I retire I may not be rich but if I want to sit on my couch I can and be ok. I participate in the 457 program and with my time here in SC retirement I will have other forms of income as well but my biggest thing was the healthcare. If I retired locally today I’d make 25k a year well with a monthly premium for private healthcare between 700-1000 a month I will be lucky to see 15k of it.

Comment

If you're looking for financial stability go with BPA, you get non competitive promotions, and the cost of living where you'll most likely be will be fairly reasonable. With USSS, you'll have to sign a mobility agreement, meaning you could be sent to one of the highest cost areas of living in the United States. Fed retirement sounds great until you get sent to San Francisco, and are considered at poverty level while making 6 figures after over time. If you apply USSS UD you're automatically going to DC.

Comment

I hear the FBI needs a guy just like you...high speed and all that.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yeah the FBI scares me lol I was always told if you fail any part of the FBI process you can forget about going anywhere else lol I don’t know if it’s true but they scare me

Comment

Literally thousands of other cops have done exactly what you did every day...humility will not only open doors, it’ll make you a happier person once you walk through them.

Comment

Yeah the FBI scares me lol I was always told if you fail any part of the FBI process you can forget about going anywhere else lol I don’t know if it’s true but they scare me

Comment

Originally posted by jkufen View Post
                              That's a load of crap and you should stop listening to the people who tell you those blatant lies
                              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8643 users online. 397 members and 8246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X