300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a BA in CJ?

I graduated from Rutgers University on August 2018. I haven't been able to find a job related to my field ever since. Currently I am in the CBP employment process but that can take years. My dream is to be involved in police work but just seem to be out of luck. Anybody have ideas? I am in NJ

NJ Civil Service Exam (LEE) is coming up in July I believe. Aside from that, look at towns that are offering Chief's tests. Scoring an 1811 gig out of college is probably out of the question, but CBP might be a great way to get in. I'm taking the CBPO exam this weekend. I already passed the BPA exam, but didn't want to follow through - realized BPA was not what I wanted.

This is coming from a semi-recent college grad from NJ looking for law enforcement work also.

Edit: PM me and I can send over links for LEE and USAJOBS announcements
    Last edited by Jam1095; 04-16-2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Jam1095
      Jam1095 commented
      Editing a comment
      DOC held their own exam this year

• Nieto2588
      Nieto2588 commented
      Editing a comment
      Julia - You might be confused on what a Civil Service list is. This is a quick google search I did for you: What is a civil service job? Often working in the public sector, an employee of the civil service is basically employed by the government to impartially implement their policies and laws. As a result, civil service employees often work in areas that highly affect people's everyday life (e.g. health and education).

Usually Civil Service proctors the entry exam to get onto the list of eligible candidates for a public position. They certify the list and provide it to the hiring authorities (i.e. your city police administrators), whom use this list to contact candidates for additional testing (i.e. interview, backgrounds, etc.) You can get on the list by meeting the agency requirements and testing through civil service. It's not any more difficult than getting hired on by other government agencies.

• Julia1996
      Julia1996 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh I didn't know they had their own exam. As for the civil service that clears it up a bit, I was looking into probation and parole as well but they do mention the civil service once again. The state parole states in the requirements : " must pass a civil service examination administered by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission" now that's the exam that's going to be later on this year correct?

• Nieto2588
      Nieto2588 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. They usually invite candidates to participate in a written civil service test. It’s usually comprised of basic math, English, and possibly some scenerio based questions. They’ll rate the scores and certify the passing applicants before forwarding their names to the hiring agency for continuation in the hiring process.

If you’re willing to work in Corrections, the BOP is always hiring. A bachelors is an entry requirement in lieu of qualifying experience. It’s also a 6C covered federal law enforcement position, so it’ll start you’re retirement clock and directly transfer over to any other federal LE position. Many people that start with the BOP end up leaving for USMS, ICE, CBP, BPA, and other gigs. It’s good experience and worth considering.

Comment

• Julia1996
      Julia1996 commented
      Editing a comment
      I applied to BOP on USAJOBS on 1/2/19 but never heard anything, it only says the application was received, I am not sure because it says that the job is closing on 9/30/2019 therefore they won't look at the application until then? I also applied for TSA in Newark on 1/17/19 but it says received as well and nothing else. I am willing to work anywhere within the criminal justice system, except the FBI, from what I heard they sent you wherever and whenever they want

• Nieto2588
      Nieto2588 commented
      Editing a comment
      I sent you a private message earlier. Check your inbox. The BOP does continuous hiring, so they'll pull applicants from the test well before the vacancy closes. Depending on which facility you're applying to, it can be pretty competitive. There's lots of guys that lateral from state and county corrections for better pay and benefits.
      Last edited by Nieto2588; 04-17-2019, 12:56 AM.

• Julia1996
      Julia1996 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't see any message. Oh ok I wonder why I never got anything back

Try seeing if theres any opportunities with Federal contractors, and get some work experience. I'm not a cop, but I can tell you from what I have seen holding a job that requires a background investigation/re-investigation can help with getting LE jobs. I can tell you as well that a big part of the process is whether or not you are likeable, and a good fit for the agency/department.
    Last edited by Levithane; Yesterday, 12:12 AM. Reason: Added content

Comment

Customer service jobs are always an option while you wait on LE jobs. Enterprise car rental hires the most college graduates, Avis car rental, Costco, Cintas, they aren’t gonna make you rich but they’ll put some money in your pocket while you wait on law enforcement. There are other jobs open to recent graduates like carpool police, UD secret service. Apply apply apply. A Rutgers BA is a good starting point. Local police is an option as well. But don’t do that unless your serious about doing it.

Comment

Your dilemma is nothing new. Every generation hits a cement wall right out of college. Did you really believe people who said get a college degree if you want a good paying career instead of a menial job? Or did they omit the part about the early years?

And despite record low unemployment, you're probably frustrated with the limited number of job prospects in your field of study and how arduous and intimidating the hiring process is. You are not alone. Your classmates are getting hired in a heartbeat at cool companies like Google and Amazon and you're still working the milk steamer at Starbucks, checking job websites twice a day, hoping your dream job with your dream agency will magically appear....

Here's the low, dirty truth: You will likely be in career purgatory for a couple more years until things fall into place. That's just how it is. The process isn't designed to be quick. If anything, it's designed to turn people away who aren't serious.

To answer your question, do whatever you must to pay the bills while you go through the steps. I worked in a dirty, dusty welding shop for a spell after college, making minimum wage and suffering a bunch of shop rats who thought it hilarious I was toiling in hell with a bunch of guys who dropped out of tenth grade. Gotta do what you gotta do to make some paper while the dream becomes reality.....
        One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

• Jam1095
          Jam1095 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is the truth I wish CJ professors (who are mostly all former LEO) would push to their students. I was CJ until I switched to Poli Sci, and these old retired guys are selling a dream that is just not there any more. You really have to eat **** for a few years unless you are a lucky person, more or less. IMHO

If you get hired on straight out of college, you’re lucky. But, it does happen. I started with a sheriffs office immediately upon graduating and have been in LE ever since. You do, however, have to be dedicated to do what it takes and stick with it if it’s what you really want, though.

Comment

Get a Masters in something else...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Sounds like a bunch of ol salty people in here. Unless NJ is different than VA and NC, there are plenty of police officer spots. Record number lows right now at majority of PD's. Do what you can to get a job with a PD. If jobs are tight in NJ, look here in VA or NC (assuming your willing to move). Get your time in and while your doing that start applying for 1811 jobs. I went from working local PD, to a state investigator and now I'm an 1811. You can do it, stay positive. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I dont post much. A lot of sour puss people on here. I try to avoid the negativity!

Btw, my BA was in CJ!
            Last edited by mih pihsrow; Yesterday, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mih pihsrow View Post
              Sounds like a bunch of ol salty people in here. Unless NJ is different than VA and NC, there are plenty of police officer spots. Record number lows right now at majority of PD's. Do what you can to get a job with a PD. If jobs are tight in NJ, look here in VA or NC (assuming your willing to move). Get your time in and while your doing that start applying for 1811 jobs. I went from working local PD, to a state investigator and now I'm an 1811. You can do it, stay positive. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I dont post much. A lot of sour puss people on here. I try to avoid the negativity!

Btw, my BA was in CJ!
              Yeah, I'd say New Jersey is different than VA and NC. There is NO shortage of qualified applicants in New Jersey. The hiring process is long and extremely competitive. Unlike in many other parts of the country most LEOs here are paid VERY well (even when considering the high cost of living). Applicants won't just be competing with people who consider law enforcement their calling/passion/etc...but also with those who are simply looking for a job that pays well, offers good benefits, early retirement and a generous pension.

To the OP: If you're willing to move, there are plenty of departments across the country that are hurting for applicants. Atlanta PD is one that's frequently mentioned here. Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7111 users online. 295 members and 6816 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X