Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not qualified for career, but OK for APO??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not qualified for career, but OK for APO??

In some experienced opinions, what part of someone's background check could disqualify them from being hired as a PO, but allow them to be hired as an APO with the same department?

I am not familiar with an APO, if you could explain what the position is, and what DQ'ed from a PO position I could probably attempt to answer your question.

Comment

what is APO? assistant police officer? like a community service officer/police service officer? it depends on what was your DQ. if you are a felon (or to that extreme), don't count on getting into any LE position.

Comment

APO is auxiliary police officer. Volunteer. Here, they perform many of the same duties as career PO, but do not carry a handgun. Of course all cruisers have a rifle, and APOs are allowed to use them at appropriate times. And we do not know what the reason was for the DQ. One was not given. Everything was great on all other exams and interviews, and then a letter saying the qualifications are not met, and there is no eligibility to reapply. He (my husband) was later accepted into the APO program, and will start the academy tomorrow. We know he could dig for the DQ info, under the Freedom of Information Act, but he doesn't want to rock the boat, as he has his foot in the door now.

Comment

If the PD is saying that the qualifications are not met, look at the hiring qualifications, usually right on the PD's website. He might not have had enough college, too many driving violations, less than honorable military discharge, disciplinary issues at prior employers, vision standards not met (some PDs require 20/60 or better uncorrected or color blindness issues). The list of requirements for a PD is normally quite long, and if all are not met than an applicant will be DQ'ed. I guess this PD is less strigent requirements for the APO's. Hope this helps

Comment

Is an APO the same then as a Reserve Officer? I am applying for a position as a Reserve Officer and hoping since I passed the background check when I applied for a Sheriff's Deputy position before, I will pass the background check for this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sryan View Post
              APO is auxiliary police officer. Volunteer. Here, they perform many of the same duties as career PO, but do not carry a handgun. .

Uhhh I wouldnt even consider the job without a weapon, besides a rifle in the trunk

Same duties as career PO.. Like what?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2969 users online. 177 members and 2792 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X