Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdpopo
    replied
    Just got the call. They offered me start dates of March 28-April 25 (PPs 8-10). I took the earliest.

Lots of calls are going out on the other forum as well. If you're waiting, it may not be much longer.

Leave a comment:

• specialagentblog
    replied
    I recently had the good fortune of interviewing legendary undercover agent Robert Mazur (retired). He is the author of the book, "The Infiltrator," with a movie by the same name (starring Bryan Cranston). His work to take down a corrupt bank and put 75+ people in jail (both narcos & corrupt bank officials) is above and beyond the call of duty. He is also recently starting to do undercover training for HSI.

https://www.specialagents.org/

-SA Blog

Leave a comment:

• RVAhiker
    commented on 's reply
    I was able to find more on USAjobs. I forgot to add that my job status was previously "Selected" and now it has changed to this.

"Hiring complete:
    Hiring is completed and the position is filled.

NOTE: Currently, you will see Reviewing applications even if the hiring is complete. The hiring agencies are responsible for marking a position as hiring complete and are updating their application systems to show this status in mid-2021." https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/

• jdpopo
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like a good thing. I wouldn't be worried, I'd be excited about that.

• RVAhiker
    replied
    Did anyone else have their USAjobs status update for this annoucement? Mine just changed to "Hiring Complete" and no clear indication on what that means for my TJO that I got in October 2019.

I know I am trying to read the tea leaves here only using USAjobs status info. Which I do understand USAjobs is not 100% correct or up to date all the time. And of course there is no phone number to call HR and the USAjobs phone number is disconnected. Probably worried about nothing but still figured I would ask the forum.

Leave a comment:

• specialagentblog
    commented on 's reply
    I have gotten this question about the Marshals so many times! As NYC1175 indicated, they are in this weird category where DUSMs start off as non-1811 and definitely do not conduct criminal investigations in the traditional sense. I am going to finish up with Army CID & CGIS and then probably do a page for Marshalls (if only, not to receive constant hate-mail). However, I will be sure to stress their unique nature and emphasize how different their job is from all the other 1811 positions.

In regards to getting the "preference," our local SAC mgmt. has indicated they want resumes submitted in advance so they can conduct the interviews BEFORE the announcement. It could vary at other SAC offices.

-SA Blog

• campuscop2000
    replied

I missed the last direct hiring announcement due to a military commitment. I am currently a police officer with 8 years experience, bachelor's degree, USAF Security Forces veteran. I am looking to make the jump to a 1811 position. I am in the New England region (region 1). Do you know of a recruiter for that region ? Or best way to reach out besides waiting for usajobs announcement. Please PM Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• NYC1175
    commented on 's reply
    Although the Marshals get 1811 at GS-11, they are not traditionally special agents or criminal investigators. They're Deputy US Marshals throughout their career.

• Mav222
    replied
    Do you need a o get preference before or after the announcement posts?

Also @specialagentblog will you be making a marshal section on your site?

Leave a comment:

• NYC1175
    commented on 's reply
    @specialagentblog that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

• specialagentblog
    commented on 's reply
    I feel it necessary to emphasize that the Direct Hire Program is in ADDITION to the the General Vacancy Announcement (which ANY candidate can apply and compete in based on merits, achievements and experience). You are not losing out and I encourage all qualified applicants to apply to the General Vacancy.

Think of it this way, the military officer corps selects and hires officers via the Service Academies, ROTC and Officer Training School. Each helps serve different service needs and brings in a certain percentage of candidates; with ROTC bringing in the greatest. If you are 18 and going to college, then ROTC is obviously your route. If you are a doctor and seeking a commission; then OTS will be the program for you.

HSI is merely diversifying their hiring authorities to better develop the workforce and cut through the red tape. This Direct Hire Program is obviously suited for some but ANY candidate can apply to the General Vacancy; which is similar to the FBI, DEA, USPIS, etc. programs.

I hope that helps.

-SA Blog
    www.specialagents.org
    Last edited by specialagentblog; 01-14-2021, 10:21 AM.

• NYC1175
    commented on 's reply
    "If you are a candidate that did not get to the interview process during any previous announcement; then you should position yourself where you can quickly become the "preferred candidate" (i.e. the admin assistant with the degree who was simply able to walk into our recruiters office; did good work the for SAC; & was our top Direct Hire selectee.......OR...the local detective/police officer that brought us a great case we worked together)."

For most people, this seems very unrealistic and out of the way. The juice is not worth the squeeze in my opinion when there are several other agencies just as good or better out there hiring people strictly on their merits, achievements, and experience.

• specialagentblog
    replied
    porkchop23 ,

This Direct Hire process is ideally designed to allow HSI SACs to hire preferred candidates (i.e. Promising Interns; hard working Task Force Officers; High performing administrative staff trying to become 1811s). That was in fact the stated goal of the HSI Director who advocated for this program. This is why the *average* candidate feels left out.

There is no surefire "quick" solution for the Direct Hire and it is not a process that favors general applicants by design. Applicants who are furiously seeking the local "recruiter" are kind of missing the whole point. If you are a candidate that did not get to the interview process during any previous announcement; then you should position yourself where you can quickly become the "preferred candidate" (i.e. the admin assistant with the degree who was simply able to walk into our recruiters office; did good work the for SAC; & was our top Direct Hire selectee.......OR...the local detective/police officer that brought us a great case we worked together). As these examples show, you want to position yourself where the whole internal system is rooting for you...not because you called and emailed the recruiter your resume (which is honestly a crapshoot & HSI does not advertise the SAC recruiter info because it is not designed for the masses)...but because another special agent put their name and endorsed your application....and then that particular 1811 made sure you made it to the interview board.

If you don't want to "prove yourself" this way then feel free to apply to the general vacancy announcement and take your chances...that is the system designed for applicants who don't have an "in."

BTW, if you feel the *only* option you have is the "cold-call" to the recruiter then please read the following: Limit your cold-call attempts to high cost of living areas (i.e. San Francisco, New York city, Hawaii, Los Angeles). They are infinitely more willing to work with candidates that will commit to their AORs due to staffing issues. If you try the same method at Charleston, SC (which has a very desirable cost of living); your chances of success are not great.

SA Blog
    www.specialagents.org

p.s. I have no reason to be untruthful as I started a whole website to help candidates such as yourself. As an applicant, I too felt left in the dark & HSI was indeed no picnic.
    image_17734.png
    Last edited by specialagentblog; 01-14-2021, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KYpoPo
    commented on 's reply
    I got an email from a recruiter that said they received “official word” that the announcement has been moved to March

• porkchop23
    commented on 's reply
    SpecialAgentBlog, if what you say is true, that is extremely frustrating, as there is no mention on the HSI website of contact information for their local recruiting point of contact (at least in the 10-15 minutes I just spent searching). I plan on calling their phone number tomorrow to determine who the local POC is and how to get in touch with him/her.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3377 users online. 171 members and 3206 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X