300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by titoCA321 View Post

Is it worth applying if you don't know anyone from DHS at any of the field offices?
    Find a way to get in touch with someone at whatever office in which you're interested. Cold call, or even visit the office. Initiative will be your friend with these types of announcements.

Comment

• Is this a quick hire situation or one where it could take years? I ask because I have 2 years of military commitment left, is it too early to apply to this?

Comment

• Nieto2588
        Nieto2588 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just apply. If they offer the position and you decline, you can apply at the next vacancy and have the previous steps carry over. Medical requires recert annually, polygraph and background are 2 years I believe.

• Originally posted by joman8390 View Post
      Is this a quick hire situation or one where it could take years? I ask because I have 2 years of military commitment left, is it too early to apply to this?
      Process can be as quick as a few months for some or as long as a few years for others. Depends on so many factors.

Comment

• I'm still a little confused as to how this works...

If we put in for a location, but are not referred, does that make us ineligible for all other locations across the country?

Does it make sense to contact recruiters in other offices if I may or may not be referred at all?

Comment

• Isn't it going to be 2 weeks minimum before we hear something? I hope I don't get screwed over again. I put in for that DO announcement in Sept 2018 and it said I didn't qualify for the 7 even though I was a GL-7 with BP then and I also qualified with my degree.... Had my transcript and SF-50 in there.

And what's this about people getting bumped back if they update their app? I had to update mine because I answered a question wrong. Was on mobile :/.
          Former BPA, finally out , current 1811.

Comment

• Mf821
            Mf821 commented
            Editing a comment
            I know of someone that has already gotten a call for an interview since this announcement came out, it is the only time they have applied for HSI. So who knows how it is working.

• Originally posted by Lovetocamp View Post
          Isn't it going to be 2 weeks minimum before we hear something? I hope I don't get screwed over again. I put in for that DO announcement in Sept 2018 and it said I didn't qualify for the 7 even though I was a GL-7 with BP then and I also qualified with my degree.... Had my transcript and SF-50 in there.

And what's this about people getting bumped back if they update their app? I had to update mine because I answered a question wrong. Was on mobile :/.
          How do they determine the cutoff? From the announcement it appears to be a first come, first serve to appear for testing, but I hear on the forums that SAC at specific field offices will also me making selections?

Comment

• Lovetocamp
            Lovetocamp commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell if I know man.

• Originally posted by Deadpker View Post
          I'm still a little confused as to how this works...

If we put in for a location, but are not referred, does that make us ineligible for all other locations across the country?

Does it make sense to contact recruiters in other offices if I may or may not be referred at all?
          From the notice and job application, it appears that you can be offered any location where they need bodies. You can of course, accept or decline the offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadpker View Post
            I'm still a little confused as to how this works...

Says in the announcement the location selection is merely preference, and that you will ultimately be offered needs of agency. Also says that if you decline a formal offer, you will be removed.

The way the last one was done if you put something like San Diego, they were calling guys asking them if they would be interested in Puerto Rico or Miami, since that is where a big need for the agency is. Guys who said yes were put on the fast moving trains for those SACs. In those instances though, saying no didnt remove them from the process.

But for people who put say Tampa for example, you should probably consider your flexibility, since getting picked up for SACs with those levels of desirability as an off the street applicant are fairly low.
            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

Says in the announcement the location selection is merely preference, and that you will ultimately be offered needs of agency. Also says that if you decline a formal offer, you will be removed.

The way the last one was done if you put something like San Diego, they were calling guys asking them if they would be interested in Puerto Rico or Miami, since that is where a big need for the agency is. Guys who said yes were put on the fast moving trains for those SACs. In those instances though, saying no didnt remove them from the process.

But for people who put say Tampa for example, you should probably consider your flexibility, since getting picked up for SACs with those levels of desirability as an off the street applicant are fairly low.
              Did you apply to the previous Direct Hire announcement in 2018?

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope, already with the agency.

• If ICE is going to keep the announcement open until the close date, why don't they test everyone that applies? If they're only going to test the first 500 or 3,000, wouldn't it be best to state clearly that only the first 3,000 or 500 applicants will be contacted and then close the announcement once the first 3,000 or 500 have applied?
              Last edited by titoCA321; 04-12-2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Sgt0844
                Sgt0844 commented
                Editing a comment
                Problem when they state first 500 applicants (then announcement closes) is the quality of applicants. For example: Out of the 500 who apply, 400 may not get past the qualifications stage. Then the agency is stuck with 100 applicants that who knows will even pass the testing nor BI. Better off for the agencies sake having a large selection they can pull from. But I'm sure just like any other agency throwing out a job announcement for the "public," they most likely have employees within the agency they have in mind for the job so closing after 500 applications wouldn't be an issue for them.
                Last edited by Sgt0844; 04-12-2019, 10:27 AM.

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Why wouldn't you want the biggest pool possible? I didn't even move to the first step of the process over a year after I applied when I first applied year and years ago. Whether they say it or not, only so many people can go through the pipeline at once for any job, so 'will test a limited number of applicants at first' will be the case for any large hiring announcement job in the gov.

• From what I was told, it’s the first 2500.

Comment

• titoCA321
                titoCA321 commented
                Editing a comment
                You managed to get a hold of an ICE recruiter?

• Sgt0844
                Sgt0844 commented
                Editing a comment
                better odds than my agency during recruitment. Supposedly during my hiring process they had upward to 6000 applicants and only took 18.....felt like i won the lottery. Hopefully they are looking for more than 18 for next CITP class.

• The other way around, but yes, I spoke to a recruiter yesterday.

Comment

• If you asked me a question on this board, I apologize if I missed it. Between the PM’s and actual work I’ve fallen a bit behind. Please ask it again and I’ll try to answer it.

Comment

• Testing x number of applicants doesn't mean they're testing the first x number of applicants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boot1811 View Post
                    Testing x number of applicants doesn't mean they're testing the first x number of applicants.
                    The announcement said that they would be looking at applications in the order received.
                    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• Bluelife1977
                      Bluelife1977 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey what agency are you with

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13205 users online. 483 members and 12722 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X