300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlameToby31 View Post
    There is supposed to be a hiring announcement in January. It is usually nationwide.
    I hope it really happens fingers crossed.

Comment

• The Direct Hire announcement is indeed now anticipated for First Quarter 2021. In reality, this process highly favors task force officers and investigators working joint cases with HSI. I personally forwarded the resume for a local detective who worked with me on a federal case. Not only did I forward the resume, I did an extensive write-up to senior mgmt and followed up until he got an interview. I highlighted his degree, investigative experience and fitness level as these items are of concern during screening....he is now one of our top preferred candidates and my senior mgmt. is similarly rooting for him.

-Special Agents Blog
      https://www.specialagents.org/

Comment

• Frank020387
        Frank020387 commented
        Editing a comment
        Are these announcements open to the public on usajobs?

• Frank020387,

Yes, the vacancy announcement will be open to the public on USA Jobs; HOWEVER, if you do not have a matching referral from your local HSI Office, you have little to no chance.....the current Direct Hire announcement is designed for the SAC Offices to select preferred candidates.

-SA Blog
      https://www.specialagents.org/
      Last edited by specialagentblog; 01-01-2021, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Bidstar
        Bidstar commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not know this about direct hiring announcements, I think is too late at this point but I will try contacting my local office.

• While I will acknowledge SABlogs experience, I have to disagree. During direct hire announcements, previously referred candidates do have a faster hiring timeline, and stand to be hired more so than those who have not previously been vetted by offices. However there are plenty of people
      in the pipeline who were not preferred (just applied to the vacancy on USAJobs) that are in the hiring pipeline. Myself included.

Comment

• specialagentblog
        specialagentblog commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed on the way the Direct Hire is generally completed but you truly are a minority of candidates in terms of success rate (congrats!). With a DH vacancy; if you compare a random application with one pre-vetted by a SAC mgmt. team; they (SAC Team) are more likely to go with their "preferred list" candidate. That does not mean the new random applicant has a *zero* chance, just that the same senior mgmt team is simply more likely to go with their selection...rather than take the time to interview an additional candidate. The SAC Offices are pushing this preferred candidate method internally so trying to fight it is an uphill battle. I do not discount your own experience, however, on average it will not be successful & is the less than optimal method. Perhaps you are in an AOR that did not develop a good list or is difficult to attract candidates; either way, applicants should generally strive to get fast tracked & pre-vetted to increase their odds of advancing; especially in the good locations!

Put it this way, if an office has 3 vacancies and they come up with 3 solid applicants they want hired....those three applications will get forwarded to HQ with the seal of approval from the ACTUAL SAC that is going to sign later their hiring paperwork...who do you think has a better chance? Those 3 applicants with the SAC seal of approval or the other 50 that apply? Only reason why I am pushing this method...not to be contentious in an online forum, but to simply give tips on the best methods for success. Congrats again btw!

-SA Blog
        Last edited by specialagentblog; 01-01-2021, 02:43 AM.

• porkchop23
        porkchop23 commented
        Editing a comment
        SpecialAgentBlog, if what you say is true, that is extremely frustrating, as there is no mention on the HSI website of contact information for their local recruiting point of contact (at least in the 10-15 minutes I just spent searching). I plan on calling their phone number tomorrow to determine who the local POC is and how to get in touch with him/her.

• Agreed. I was not preferred either. This is my third time applying to a DH announcement without being preferred. I’m not sure if there are

Comment

• Anyone who contacted LA Office knows if they’re referred or not for this upcoming vacancy?

Comment

• There is a slush to get the DH authority again, but the last thing they put out (2 weeks ago) was that they are losing it in April. Hopefully they get it back, it is great for a LOT of offices trying to get people for hard to fill locations. I’ll keep everyone updated.

Comment

• Does anyone have/know how to get info on local recruiters? looking for Dallas. Thanks !

Comment

• Anyone get the call recently? Within the last week or so? Besides ens of course

Comment

• Anyone have contact recruiter numbers for east coast offices ? Philly ? New Jersey

Comment

• Does anyone know when the new announcement drop?

Comment

• ASecretSquirrel
                    ASecretSquirrel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Supposedly March.

• KYpoPo
                    KYpoPo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I got an email from a recruiter that said they received “official word” that the announcement has been moved to March

• porkchop23 ,

This Direct Hire process is ideally designed to allow HSI SACs to hire preferred candidates (i.e. Promising Interns; hard working Task Force Officers; High performing administrative staff trying to become 1811s). That was in fact the stated goal of the HSI Director who advocated for this program. This is why the *average* candidate feels left out.

There is no surefire "quick" solution for the Direct Hire and it is not a process that favors general applicants by design. Applicants who are furiously seeking the local "recruiter" are kind of missing the whole point. If you are a candidate that did not get to the interview process during any previous announcement; then you should position yourself where you can quickly become the "preferred candidate" (i.e. the admin assistant with the degree who was simply able to walk into our recruiters office; did good work the for SAC; & was our top Direct Hire selectee.......OR...the local detective/police officer that brought us a great case we worked together). As these examples show, you want to position yourself where the whole internal system is rooting for you...not because you called and emailed the recruiter your resume (which is honestly a crapshoot & HSI does not advertise the SAC recruiter info because it is not designed for the masses)...but because another special agent put their name and endorsed your application....and then that particular 1811 made sure you made it to the interview board.

If you don't want to "prove yourself" this way then feel free to apply to the general vacancy announcement and take your chances...that is the system designed for applicants who don't have an "in."

BTW, if you feel the *only* option you have is the "cold-call" to the recruiter then please read the following: Limit your cold-call attempts to high cost of living areas (i.e. San Francisco, New York city, Hawaii, Los Angeles). They are infinitely more willing to work with candidates that will commit to their AORs due to staffing issues. If you try the same method at Charleston, SC (which has a very desirable cost of living); your chances of success are not great.

SA Blog
                  www.specialagents.org

p.s. I have no reason to be untruthful as I started a whole website to help candidates such as yourself. As an applicant, I too felt left in the dark & HSI was indeed no picnic.
                  image_17734.png
                  Last edited by specialagentblog; 01-14-2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• NYC1175
                    NYC1175 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "If you are a candidate that did not get to the interview process during any previous announcement; then you should position yourself where you can quickly become the "preferred candidate" (i.e. the admin assistant with the degree who was simply able to walk into our recruiters office; did good work the for SAC; & was our top Direct Hire selectee.......OR...the local detective/police officer that brought us a great case we worked together)."

For most people, this seems very unrealistic and out of the way. The juice is not worth the squeeze in my opinion when there are several other agencies just as good or better out there hiring people strictly on their merits, achievements, and experience.

• specialagentblog
                    Editing a comment
                    I feel it necessary to emphasize that the Direct Hire Program is in ADDITION to the the General Vacancy Announcement (which ANY candidate can apply and compete in based on merits, achievements and experience). You are not losing out and I encourage all qualified applicants to apply to the General Vacancy.

Think of it this way, the military officer corps selects and hires officers via the Service Academies, ROTC and Officer Training School. Each helps serve different service needs and brings in a certain percentage of candidates; with ROTC bringing in the greatest. If you are 18 and going to college, then ROTC is obviously your route. If you are a doctor and seeking a commission; then OTS will be the program for you.

HSI is merely diversifying their hiring authorities to better develop the workforce and cut through the red tape. This Direct Hire Program is obviously suited for some but ANY candidate can apply to the General Vacancy; which is similar to the FBI, DEA, USPIS, etc. programs.

I hope that helps.

-SA Blog
                    www.specialagents.org
                    Last edited by specialagentblog; 01-14-2021, 10:21 AM.

• NYC1175
                    NYC1175 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @specialagentblog that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

• Do you need a o get preference before or after the announcement posts?

Also @specialagentblog will you be making a marshal section on your site?

Comment

• NYC1175
                    NYC1175 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Although the Marshals get 1811 at GS-11, they are not traditionally special agents or criminal investigators. They're Deputy US Marshals throughout their career.

• specialagentblog
                    Editing a comment
                    I have gotten this question about the Marshals so many times! As NYC1175 indicated, they are in this weird category where DUSMs start off as non-1811 and definitely do not conduct criminal investigations in the traditional sense. I am going to finish up with Army CID & CGIS and then probably do a page for Marshalls (if only, not to receive constant hate-mail). However, I will be sure to stress their unique nature and emphasize how different their job is from all the other 1811 positions.

In regards to getting the "preference," our local SAC mgmt. has indicated they want resumes submitted in advance so they can conduct the interviews BEFORE the announcement. It could vary at other SAC offices.

-SA Blog

• I missed the last direct hiring announcement due to a military commitment. I am currently a police officer with 8 years experience, bachelor's degree, USAF Security Forces veteran. I am looking to make the jump to a 1811 position. I am in the New England region (region 1). Do you know of a recruiter for that region ? Or best way to reach out besides waiting for usajobs announcement. Please PM Thank you.

Comment

• Did anyone else have their USAjobs status update for this annoucement? Mine just changed to "Hiring Complete" and no clear indication on what that means for my TJO that I got in October 2019.

I know I am trying to read the tea leaves here only using USAjobs status info. Which I do understand USAjobs is not 100% correct or up to date all the time. And of course there is no phone number to call HR and the USAjobs phone number is disconnected. Probably worried about nothing but still figured I would ask the forum.

Comment

• jdpopo
                      jdpopo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like a good thing. I wouldn't be worried, I'd be excited about that.

• RVAhiker
                      RVAhiker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was able to find more on USAjobs. I forgot to add that my job status was previously "Selected" and now it has changed to this.

"Hiring complete:
                      Hiring is completed and the position is filled.

NOTE: Currently, you will see Reviewing applications even if the hiring is complete. The hiring agencies are responsible for marking a position as hiring complete and are updating their application systems to show this status in mid-2021." https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/

• RVAhiker
                      RVAhiker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I reached out to HR via the email given in my TJO. They got back in two days and gave my current status. All is well just waiting on background.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2988 users online. 124 members and 2864 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X