Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the Alaska offer!

Comment

• Another DH announcement is on the horizon, they’re saying December.

Comment

• illini372
        illini372 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great. Hopefully they'll let everyone know if they passed or failed the proctored exam.

• CFAV
        CFAV commented
        Editing a comment
        It's weird we didnt get pass/fail emails. They never told me, but when the offers started coming in...I assumed I did. In reality, if the office you apply to dont pick you... your application is pretty much dead in the water. I found out the office I applied to only picked like 6 out of nearly 70 people that applied. Thats why I jumped on an offer from another location that was hurting for bodies.

• Congrats on Alaska, if it’s anchorage that’s a beautiful place to live. There’s a really great agent up there once you’re on the job.

Comment

• CFAV
        CFAV commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah , its Anchorage

Last edited by illini372; 11-15-2019, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• deleted....
        Last edited by Tommy_V; 12-01-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• ifineed2
          ifineed2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t have an answer. If you passed the office you wanted to go to was probably full. I would take initiative and start trying to contact GS’ or recruiters at multiple offices. If you want the job you’ll be likely to go anywhere. My office has offered spots to people who’ve said they’d go anywhere then they turned them down.

But I would reapply, if you passed all the sections then your score should still be good and it’ll just give you another year of eligibility.

• CFAV
          CFAV commented
          Editing a comment
          The direct hires are weird. Coming from my SAC, there is no real rhyme or reason in what they do. Most spots are already filled...pending the person passing the written test. The real purpose of the direct hires is for offices to hire people they have already vetted (i.e. task for officers). This is basically a direct line hire. Now offices that are hurting for bodies can use this to fill empty desks. (i.e. San Fran, Chicago, Hawaii, and Alaska). So if the office you applied to was highly sought and you don't already have an "in"...chances are your never gonna get that spot. This is where the SW border or open announcements come into play. They are a more level playing field. The top applicants are picked and all sent to ****ty spots on the border. If you passed the written test for this direct hire, and didn't hear from ANY office...prolly chopped liver sorry to say. Each one of those hard to fill offices had a stack of people they already "vetted" to offer interviews to. The DSAC had already called my boss to vet me before my offer to interview even came in.

• quick_turn
          quick_turn commented
          Editing a comment
          CFAV so if there's a direct hire coming (see above from ifineed2 ) in December, is it for the purpose of pulling from task forces or filling those border towns?

Personally, I want the ****ty spot. More to do, more to learn.

• I was talking with an HSI Agent last week and he said they’re no longer forcing people to the border. Apparently, now they ask for volunteers to TDY in 45-day increments, which works out great for both sides. Not sure if this was mentioned previously as I don’t follow this thread closely, but just wanted to pass along info for those of you dreading the border.

Comment

• deleted....
          Last edited by Tommy_V; 12-01-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• FNG41YR
            FNG41YR commented
            Editing a comment
            Or dont. Dont shoot the messenger

• deleted...
          Last edited by Tommy_V; 11-15-2019, 02:07 PM. Reason: Repost

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            Bro why do you delete like 70% of messages you post

• I’m not begging you to reapply. If you feel defeated, don’t apply. But this is common for so many applicants. It took me 3 years from application to phone call, so you’re not alone.

I can only speak for my office here, but we selected the candidates we wanted for the DHA. A LOT failed the tests at some point or another, leaving a lot of spots unfilled. HQ sent us a list of candidates previously selected by other offices but ended up not selecting them for final hire. We scrubbed the resumes and ended up selecting another 6 people. A lot of applicants wouldn’t come to our AOR, or put on their resume they were only willing to accept certain states and we automatically cut many of them. My best recommendation is make your resume stand out. Clearly describe what you’ve done, accomplished, why you stand out, etc. I read a lot of resumes that I stopped reading after the first or second page, either terrible grammar errors, spelling or no articulation of why we should pick them. I read others that were fantastic and reached out to them personally. It’s your responsibility to sell yourself, not mine.

you’re competing against 10k other applicants (that number is not official) so you have to want this. Call recruiters, post on all these boards for any points of contact and email those people. Follow up, be extra polite/courteous...you may talk to an SA but you could also be talking to a DSAC and you won’t know...so decency will carry you.
          Last edited by ifineed2; 11-19-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            Bold claims about sense and job opportunity for someone who doesn't know about the DH occuring through USAjobs and what AOR stands for lol.

• quick_turn
            quick_turn commented
            Editing a comment
            fair comment battlewagon ... but determination, grit, and persistence count for something, right?

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah but the reality is once you get your assignment and you accept it, you're going to be there 7+ years most likely unless you are someone who will truly live anywhere and don't care. Even then it's likely 4-5.

If DHS has the same program as DOJ where you get contracts and picks of location 3/4/5 years, yeah I'd concur with you that suck it up do three gain experience and bounce. But the reality with HSI is where you go first, you're going to be there a while. A long while. And most people aren't willing to make their family suffer in crap locations when there isn't a defined light at the end of the tunnel. Of course this advice doesn't even really apply to current applicants since they're the one getting the prime DH locations and the guys already in are the ones paying the price. But heed what I say when you accept that offer for whatever location.

• quick_turn
            quick_turn commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a long term for a location, very good to know battlewagon. I wasn't thinking about the differences between DHS and DOJ. Thanks for this.

• Does anyone have a tx for someone I can call to get an update on my medical? I don't have a number for them and the ones I do have and tried either get no response or they tell me it's the wrong department and they can't help. Thanks!

Comment

• The most recent word is a very early December posting that may also include a GS-11 rating for the first time in an entry-level announcement, which can help numb the pain for current 12s and 13s wanting to come over. 7/9/11 announcement. But if the 11 doesn't happen, count on the standard 7/9.

That's all I have for information at this point in time, no need to message me for further info, I will post again when more comes out if someone in the know like ifineed2 doesn't post it.
            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• If you failed last exam, do you have to wait one year before applying and being eligible to take the test?

Comment

• Anyone have contact info for a recruiter at Miami Sac?

Comment

• Originally posted by CF24 View Post
                  If you failed last exam, do you have to wait one year before applying and being eligible to take the test?
                  If you failed the exam or writing sample you must wait 1 hear from the fail.

Comment

• AOR - area of responsibility meaning the office / sac you are responsible for.

When I got hired I had the same mentality, I’d go anywhere. And I did. Did my time and transferred when I could. You want to get recognized for being a hard worker, quick learner and self-motivated. If someone is always holding your hand it’ll get around. I took time to make HSI contacts in every office I travelled to. Saved those names in my phone. Took time to save every person I was in fletc with and which offices they went to. As silly as it sounds, some will be leadership and some will be slugs. You’ll figure it out in fletc. Those people are great contacts to crutch on when you know you’re ready to move.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8870 users online. 297 members and 8573 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X