• USMC_UNCW
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2018

Meet and Greet December 2018
    Interviewed March 2019
    online test and GL_5 Referred May 2019
    TOL June 2019
    Medical Exam Scheduled August 2019

Little bit about me. Marine Infantry Iraq Vet, Bachelors of Arts from UNC Wilmington. Currently a Sheriffs Deputy in Eastern N.C.

Comment

• Checkmate
      Checkmate commented
      Editing a comment
      You good with coming on as a GL-5? That's the only thing making me hesitant.

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Why do they have you coming in as a GL-5 when you have military experience, Bachelors degree, and LEO experience? Im by no means trying to do HR's job, but if you have 1 year of LE experience coupled with a Bachelors (with a 3.0 GPA), you should be GL-7.

• Checkmate
      Checkmate commented
      Editing a comment
      deletedeletedelete
      Last edited by Checkmate; 07-25-2019, 05:34 PM.
  • Csevera
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2019

If I attend an Info session in Knoxville, TN (region 2) am I still eligible for a position in DC or Baltimore? (Also region 2)
    Last edited by Csevera; 07-25-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Tommyjd78
      Tommyjd78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Eligible yes but I think the whole concept of schedule B is to try and hire from within a district to get people to go to that district.

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Tommyjd78
      That's definitely their intention. When I went for mine up in Oregon, it sounded like the district office there was pretty well staffed. I put down "willing to go anywhere", if offered the opportunity and hired, theres a good chance I'd be riding a polar bear to work.

• Tommyjd78
      Tommyjd78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Got ya. All good. Hopefully you don’t have to ride that Polar Bear! But either way getting in is key...although I would prob have to decline if they tried making me go to NYC!

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take your spot in NYC tommy lol.
  • USMC_UNCW
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2018

I’m fine with GL_5 the sacrifice seems worth it to me. I think they didn’t offer be GL_7 because my graduating GPA was a 2.6 I wish I would have studied a little harder lol

Comment

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Is a 3.0 required then for GL 7?

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      3.0 is required if you're qualifying via education, and want GS-7. However, in this case if he has 1 year of law enforcement experience, that should technically offset the <3.0 GPA. Granted Im not an HR rep so take what I say with a grain of salt, Im merely going off my interpretation of the qualifications on their site.
      Last edited by Levithane; 07-26-2019, 04:55 PM. Reason: grammar

• Tx21
      Tx21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Levithane I am with you on that... seems a bit odd.... I was referred GS-7 .... about 5 years total law enforcement with experience working in the court system, jail w/ federal inmates, and Patrol (i’ve drafted search warrants and property seizures as well)..... i will say this to future applicants... read the fine print on the job announcement.... “must be in resume” in regards to the details and qualifications for the specific grade.... and then list those on your resume and how they apply to you (if they apply to you at all). They will also give you the “survey” in regards to previous experience in specific job duties.

• 2020Hopefull
      2020Hopefull commented
      Editing a comment
      USMC_UNCW I would ask for gl-7. I have the same experience as you, degree, 3 years federal LEO, minus being a veteran, I was referred for gl-5/gl-7 still waiting on TOL. Worst they can do is say no if you ask.
  • Bet Wednsday
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2019

I will be out of country for a week in September. Knowing my luck, that is when they will schedule medical or UA. Any way to advise them of this so I dont miss it when I need to go, or are they flexible?

Comment

• Tommyjd78
      Tommyjd78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Email them

• ATG1729
      ATG1729 commented
      Editing a comment
      They’re flexible. Just keep them in the loop. I had to reschedule my UA twice; once for military orders & once for being out of the country on vacation.

• Bet Wednsday
      Bet Wednsday commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys!
  • 03Deputy
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2019

To all that have received TOLs, Just out of curiousity what kind of experience does everyone have. I'm just wondering if I really have a shot at this.

Comment

• Checkmate
      Checkmate commented
      Editing a comment
      4 years military non-LEO, 4 years civil aviation, 3 years non-6c LE air operations support. GED and a 2-year associates degree.

• Bet Wednsday
      Bet Wednsday commented
      Editing a comment
      12.5 years fed Leo, 2 years Coast Guard Reserves. Bachelor's degree
  • USMC_UNCW
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2018

2020 Hopeful I appreciate the advice. Maybe if I get that final offer and talk with HR I’ll ask if I can have the GL_7 as a Deputy I have worked in the jail, served warrants,you name it. I have 2 tours over seas and the Bachelors Degree. Will see what happens.

Comment

• Aseyesee
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by 03Deputy
      To all that have received TOLs, Just out of curiousity what kind of experience does everyone have. I'm just wondering if I really have a shot at this.
      10 years with local Sheriff's department. No degree. Referred GL-7
      12/10/18- USMS Info Session
      3/25/19- USMS Interview
      4/24/19- USMS invite to apply online
      5/28/19 - Referred to USMS.
      7/19/19 - TOL recieved
      8/27/19- Medical sched'
      8/30/19- Drug test
      9/5/19- Medical completed*
      10/21//19 - E-Qip submitted/ Fingerprints completed.
      11/4/19- meeting with background investigator.
      5/1/20- FIT completed

Comment

• Army101
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2012

nonotnow ditto

Comment

• Tacotruck54
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2019

Anybody here actually apply to the national posting in 2018 and hear anything? Did everything minus the FIT and haven’t got word since medical last month. Last I heard was waiting for background and medical to clear but heard all FO’s have been sent. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• La_Bamba
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2017

Tommyjd78 while I have no doubt the individual districts do think that way (i.e. lets get people from here to stay here), from what I've been told the whole purpose of schedule B was two fold, 1. Expedite people through the process without having to do the usual time consuming competitive process that comes with a nationwide announcement and 2. ALOT of guys who applied to these Marshal hirings weren't making the cert lists (i.e. not a vet with points etc etc etc). Schedule B. allows USMS to consider folks whom for whatever reason couldn't make the list previously.

I think its a brilliant move and as a veteran myself I know a ton of solid non-vet LEO's who would have never got the shot at USMS if it wasn't for this schedule B announcement because of the veterans points system that often makes these announcements exclusive to veterans inadvertently and by default. Having a wide array of Marshals from different backgrounds to include non-military is never a bad thing in my opinion. I hope that this will be the exclusive hiring process moving forward.

Plus it allows the agency 3 years to determine if it is a good fit due to the probationary period. I know a few federal LEOs who should not be for various serious reasons, unfortunately they are protected by a "career permanent" designation that will allow them to work 20 years and get a nice retirement. I say that as a person who once held a managerial role in federal law enforcement and witnessed firsthand how insane the process for removal of permanent federal employees is.
          Last edited by La_Bamba; 07-29-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Tommyjd78
            Tommyjd78 commented
            Editing a comment
            All very true!
        • matt_laut
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2016

attending a hiring seminar tomorrow any advice for what to expect in the process?

Comment

• ATG1729
            ATG1729 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s slow and painful. After each step, forget you applied and go about your life as if you didnt. It will save you a lot of pain & heartache. Coming from a 2017 NW applicant w/ a tentative offer for the Sept academy.

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Just about the only advice you need coming from ATG

• matt_laut
            matt_laut commented
            Editing a comment
            Copy gents appreciate the advice
        • Checkmate
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2016

As of today, medical scheduled for the end of this month.
          USMS Schedule B 2020

Oct20 Info Session
          Dec20 Notice of Invitation to Apply
          Dec20 Applied/Written Assessment
          Jan21 Referred for GL-5
          Mar21 Interviewed (PASS)
          Mar21 TOL Received
          Jun21 Medical Accomplished (delay due to COVID vaccine)
          Aug21 Background Investigation reciprocated
          Feb22 Request for additional medical info
          Mar22 Medical Cleared
          Jun22 FIT (PASS)

Comment

• parkscout93
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by La_Bamba
            Tommyjd78 ALOT of guys who applied to these Marshal hirings weren't making the cert lists (i.e. not a vet with points etc etc etc).
            One of the reasons I decided to join the Army. I knew I’d never make it without points. I saw the 2012 announcement results.

Comment

• Rambocop
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2019

My process
              meet and greet dec 2018 (sw borders)
              interview in march 2019
              Assessment/referral may 2019

i know a couple of people got their TOL last week just wondering if anybody is in the same boat as me? And do you guys think they they already picked their candidates for the sw borders districts?

Comment

• 2020Hopefull
                2020Hopefull commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m in the same boat as you. If they invested this much time with us they won’t forget about us, they could be going in any random order so there’s no telling how the process could really work. I know some people who it took 2 years for the USMS to send them to the academy and then others who took 9 months.

• Ceann
                Ceann commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m in the same boat, at least in terms of no TOL yet. I’m not in the SW though.

Meet and greet - Dec ‘18 (mid-Atlantic region)
                Interview - Mar ‘19
                Referred - May ‘19
                Official Grad school Transcript request - 7/10/19

No TOL as of now. Not sure what their process is for deciding who to push forward and at what times. I try to avoid posting without contributing to the conversation so hopefully those that didn’t get a TOL last week aside from us can see they aren’t alone in that.

• NiteLite916
                NiteLite916 commented
                Editing a comment
                Information Session Dec 2018
                Interview April 2019
                Referral May 2019

I'm in the same boat. 14 years local LE with a Sheriff's Office. Bachelor Degree. Nearing completion of a Master Degree. SW Border.
            • Redskins3
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2018

Check those email again guys!! More TOL's went out! Keep your heads up!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20689 users online. 57 members and 20632 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...