300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tx21 View Post
    Im interested in seeing some timelines for this hiring process. From what I have heard the other hiring processes have a history of being extremely delayed. I know we are still in the beginning for this one but it seems to be moving rather quickly.

Info session: (beginning) Dec 2018
    ***gov shutdown***
    Interview: (beginning) April 2019
    App. & Assessment: (end) April 2019
    Referred to Hiring Manager: May 2019
    For what it's worth during the regular nationwide announcement it was approximately 13 months from the time the tentative came down to the final offer was given. That was with CITP already but not a high enough security clearance at that point.

That was a few years ago and I have to believe they've improved or at least the pressure has increased to move quicker. I hear from Marshals in DC all the way to California that they're hurting for bodies nationwide so it's not like they aren't trying to quicken up the pace. Unfortunately the thing no one can control is being at the mercy of FLETC and the limited number of CITP seats that are allotted.

It seems like there is a fair number of 1811's with CITP already in this schedule B looking to jump to the USMS. I wonder if it's been explored to put together just the add on BDUSM class for those ready to go. Just a thought, probably not enough 1811's. That and I doubt HR or the powers that be check message boards for suggestions lol.

Comment

• Tommyjd78
      Tommyjd78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Any requirement to update a clearance also take a significant amount of time.

• I haven't seen any reference to referral email to T.O. Will a tentative offer be months after this referral email?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bet Wednsday View Post
      I haven't seen any reference to referral email to T.O. Will a tentative offer be months after this referral email?
      Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe after background is done, you'll get a T.O and then after FIT and medical the glorious final offer with locations.
      12/10/18- USMS Info Session
      3/25/19- USMS Interview
      4/24/19- USMS invite to apply online
      5/28/19 - Referred to USMS.
      7/19/19 - TOL recieved
      8/27/19- Medical sched'
      8/30/19- Drug test
      9/5/19- Medical completed**

Comment

• Bet Wednsday
        Bet Wednsday commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, sounds good. I thought that i saw people got a TO after interview. But the schedule B is different

• Njw85
        Njw85 commented
        Editing a comment
        TO should be next then medical/UA, background and fit.

• Under the old traditional regular hiring, people got picked up as normal hires (7s) and there were also 11/12 laterals for current 1811s.

Has anyone heard if there are going to be 11/12 laterals still through Schedule B?
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• nonotnow
        nonotnow commented
        Editing a comment
        I get ya. I think their mentality is we dont need them we got enough people lining up. Not saying I agree with it but they said to us "you dont like it? Theres the door." I cant imagine going from a 11/12 to a 7. I make a gs10 now but I saw locality pay in my area and I'd be an 11 in 3 years so I'm good.

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd agree but they've always done laterals and it isn't like something has drastically changed in the last year that no longer taking them makes more sense. I have good friends with other agencies would consider it, including me, but no 13/3 is going to bust to a 7/10 unless they just hate their lives. Besides, laterals are a benefit to the service; don't have to pay for CITP, guys are ready to ride, etc. Seems like they're taking some wild turns with schedule B.

• nonotnow
        nonotnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Weird. Yeah I wonder what the change is. Definitely would help financially since no citp.

• izamsilas
        izamsilas commented
        Editing a comment
        The 7/00 was my interpretation, he said match pay as best they could. I didn’t seek clarity because well...if I decided to go over there it wouldn’t be because of money at the moment. Thanks for the heads up on the 00, I wasn’t aware it had been removed. Either way, they said they weren’t lateraling 1811s with this. I’m sure they could, obviously. They seem to be recreating the wheel with schedule B

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
      I'd agree but they've always done laterals and it isn't like something has drastically changed in the last year that no longer taking them makes more sense. I have good friends with other agencies would consider it, including me, but no 13/3 is going to bust to a 7/10 unless they just hate their lives. Besides, laterals are a benefit to the service; don't have to pay for CITP, guys are ready to ride, etc. Seems like they're taking some wild turns with schedule B.
      That's a broad and rather unfair statement Battle. I know plenty of 11 and 13 1811's whom have taken that hit because they valued what the USMS does in terms of their missions and history. These men and women don't hate their lives and frankly I think if you knew them you'd have no problem with them having your 6 on a high risk warrant. Some times it's about more than just money brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by La_Bamba View Post

That's a broad and rather unfair statement Battle. I know plenty of 11 and 13 1811's whom have taken that hit because they valued what the USMS does in terms of their missions and history. These men and women don't hate their lives and frankly I think if you knew them you'd have no problem with them having your 6 on a high risk warrant. Some times it's about more than just money brother.
        No part of that statement was anything else against the quality of people DUSMs are. The reality is most people aren't going to take that hit. There wasn't a single prior 1811 in my DUSM class that came over as a 7. There were however quite a few that came over as 11/12 laterals after CITP was over. Which is my point. The service recruited those prior 1811s via their lateral program. Now that it is gone, the odds of pulling over qualified current SAs as 7s will significantly decrease. You would have to significantly hate your current position/location/life circumstances to bust from a 13 something with LEAP to a 7/10 flat. We can talk about the legacy of the agency and the glory the title and star badge brings, but to say that money isn't a major factor in any life decision, especially as a 13/1 making 110+ with LEAP to a 7/10 making 54 is facetious.

I know DUSMs are top notch people. I hit a house with them two Fridays ago, and work out with them frequently here. One of them who is a friend was telling me over beers how this POS assaulted them in the cell block and FBI declined the 111 charge. So I picked it up and am working to do my boys a solid and put this dude away for 111 and other charges. I know they're top notch guys, which is why I've recently been debating going back. But as stated above, I'm one of the people who just can't stomach busting to a 7/10 no LEAP (again), no G Ride, etc from a 13 position. If they are still have the lateral program, I'll be reaching out to a recruiter to see about coming back, which was the basis for my original question.

Genuinely sorry if you felt offended by my post but like I hopefully clarified about, my post wasnt about the quality of people in the job, but about the service making a poor decision, especially since their lateral program has been successful in the past.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• izamsilas
          izamsilas commented
          Editing a comment
          Can’t argue with the logic on either approach. Personally I’m not concerned about the money, as long as the rest makes sense at the time of the offer (location, etc), but that couldn’t possibly be the case for every current 1811 looking into this. At least there’s comfort in knowing USMS is just like every other agency out there, they don’t really give two craps about you.

Be sure to post it far and wide if you find out they’re still laterally 1811s at 11/12 though...I’d RATHER come over as an 11/12 hahaha

• Has anyone from the Philly, NJ, DE info seminar heard anything, trying to get an idea once I attend the Southeast region seminar in August

Comment

• Njw85
          Njw85 commented
          Editing a comment
          Like mentioned before it’s takes a good 3 months to be scheduled for an interview.

• Csevera
          Csevera commented
          Editing a comment
          When is the SE region seminar?

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

No part of that statement was anything else against the quality of people DUSMs are. The reality is most people aren't going to take that hit. There wasn't a single prior 1811 in my DUSM class that came over as a 7. There were however quite a few that came over as 11/12 laterals after CITP was over. Which is my point. The service recruited those prior 1811s via their lateral program. Now that it is gone, the odds of pulling over qualified current SAs as 7s will significantly decrease. You would have to significantly hate your current position/location/life circumstances to bust from a 13 something with LEAP to a 7/10 flat. We can talk about the legacy of the agency and the glory the title and star badge brings, but to say that money isn't a major factor in any life decision, especially as a 13/1 making 110+ with LEAP to a 7/10 making 54 is facetious.

I know DUSMs are top notch people. I hit a house with them two Fridays ago, and work out with them frequently here. One of them who is a friend was telling me over beers how this POS assaulted them in the cell block and FBI declined the 111 charge. So I picked it up and am working to do my boys a solid and put this dude away for 111 and other charges. I know they're top notch guys, which is why I've recently been debating going back. But as stated above, I'm one of the people who just can't stomach busting to a 7/10 no LEAP (again), no G Ride, etc from a 13 position. If they are still have the lateral program, I'll be reaching out to a recruiter to see about coming back, which was the basis for my original question.

Genuinely sorry if you felt offended by my post but like I hopefully clarified about, my post wasnt about the quality of people in the job, but about the service making a poor decision, especially since their lateral program has been successful in the past.
        No sir I didn’t take any offense at all and likewise I hope I didn’t come across as offensive with you. Some times my inflection or meaning gets lost in text and comes across a differently than intended. I definitely see your point and it sounds like you’re at a good agency where you wouldn’t take that cut to go back. Unfortunately I know a ton of people who can’t say the same and would be willing to take that hit to hopefully improve their work life. I think a 9 or 11 with LEAP can take that hit and be fine but you’re right that 12 or 13 level with level with LEAP is a quality of life that will probably hurt significantly if they go down to a 7/10. I know in my district the marshals were saying they get G-rides right away and if one is to go to a 7/10 but gets that, it makes it a little more bearable from a cost perspective. I guess each person’s situation and what they value more is different. It would be lame if we were all identical lol.

Comment

• Bet Wednsday
          Bet Wednsday commented
          Editing a comment
          I am a GS-13 LEO who is willing to drop due to quality of life.

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I'm not a money first guy either so I didn't take it negatively, no worries. I look at GS 5 non LE jobs on USAjobs with true Intentions. For me it is all about location at this stage in my life. Despite all I said, I would gladly take a 7 if I could get home. I'm lucky to have a working spouse though.

• Tommyjd78
          Tommyjd78 commented
          Editing a comment
          La_Bamba What district are you in?

• Checkmate
          Checkmate commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be dropping from GS-12 step 7 making $110-115k to GS-7 step 10 making, well...I don't want to think about what I'll be making.

• Battle, tried sending you a PM but looks like you "exceeded the PM limit." lol didn't know that was possible! You and I are in the same boat in terms of trying get back home and still maintaining our 1811 status. Some times I wonder if the USMS is the best opportunity to do that with their OPREF system and then I think about what all I'd be giving up and having to start over again. If you don't mind me asking how long were you with the USMS and did they not give you the best opportunity to get home or closest to it?

Comment

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          What's RUS?

• izamsilas
          izamsilas commented
          Editing a comment
          Rodent of unusual size

• Bet Wednsday
          Bet Wednsday commented
          Editing a comment
          RUS is Rest of US. There is a base pay as a GS- whatever, and then they add locality pay to it. Some places that cost more to live get higher locality and they have specific cities on the opm pay scale. If your city is not within those specific zones Opm has determined, then you are RUS and you get paid the RUS locality pay which is the lowest locality pay.

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Why does the govt gotta make the pay scale so convoluted. Thanks for that.

• For those who went to info sessions in May. You might want to check your email asap.

Comment

• Just got the email for the interview. I'm gonna be honest I was hoping it would have been like 3 months and not 1 month from the information session to the interview. I have so much case work coming up :'(.

Comment

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Go play the lotto man lol. I'm the opposite, I needed the good news. Heard the interview isnt too bad either.
            Last edited by nonotnow; 06-03-2019, 05:27 PM.

• izamsilas
            izamsilas commented
            Editing a comment
            No email yet, though I know someone from the same info session that did get one. I did get an interview for another position somewhere else, however. Seems like HR has been busy on the east coast.

• Njw85
            Njw85 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s pretty quick for you guys, heck it took at least 3 months for us to hear something for interviews.

• Checkmate
            Checkmate commented
            Editing a comment
            ^ A lot of us were dealing with the govt shutdown, though.

• So what takes place during the information session? Is it like a "pre-screener" used by the USMS to select which applicants they want to move forward?

Comment

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            This has been answered in this thread but kind of. They give out basic Information on the department, hiring process, and perks. Then at the end of the info session there is a questionnaire to see your work history and what not and I believe if you meet their requirements you can get an invite for an interview.

• Levithane
            Levithane commented
            Editing a comment
            I think as long as you meet minimum requirements, you'll get an interview. When I went, I wasn't asked for my resume or anything like that. Watched a presentation, filled out some paperwork, and I was on my way.

• I didn't see this answered anywhere, if you attended a hiring info seminar not in your local area and you're invited to a structured interview are you require to take it in the area you attended the seminar in?

Comment

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            No. When they sent out the emails for the interview yesterday, you got to choose between a bunch of locations all around the US.

• Merlyn0
            Merlyn0 commented
            Editing a comment
            On my email I had a choice of four locations.

• matt_laut
            matt_laut commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks y’all

• For those of you who were part of Wave 1 of Excepted Service,
          When confirming the interview date, time, and location; did you reply to the person that emailed you the invitation for the interview or were you supposed to email the generic recruitment email address?

Comment

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            It said in the email to reply directly to the email itself.

• If I'm comprehending this correctly you can attend an information session/interview at any district office within a region and you will be considered for that entire region? There is no need to attend an information session/interview at each district office within a particular region your interested in, if your interested in more than one office in that region, correct?

Comment

• nonotnow
            nonotnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct. They told us at the info session since we are attending in that particular region, we would be considered for all offices within.

• Levithane
            Levithane commented
            Editing a comment
            You can attend an information session in any region. What I was told is that there's a pretty good chance wherever you attended will not correlate to where you get assigned. IE: You attend an info session in Washington State, then you get assigned to the SWB. You're at the needs of the Marshal Service, and can be assigned wherever they need people.

• Merlyn0
            Merlyn0 commented
            Editing a comment
            I asked if it was for the region and I was given the response, we will try to get you to the region you attended the session but, it will be a nationwide announcement and you will be offered according to the needs of the service.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5893 users online. 258 members and 5635 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X