Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I missed the 2019 application waves but will be applying in the next one (whenever that may be). In the meantime, I will be applying to other Federal Agencies (generally whichever ones have job posts - USSSUD, USSSCI, Capitol Police, PFPA, BP). Any suggestions of which of these agencies (or others) would provide the best experience or put someone in the best spot to apply to the USMS? I have no LE or military background (just college education) so I understand that I would be extremely lucky to make it into any of these organizations. Best of luck to all those in the current cycle.

Comment

• ZH97
      ZH97 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the great advice.

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Just put out applications. Experience helps, but sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to who gets selected for some of these jobs. FBI requires 2 years of full time work experience, a lot of the other ones you can qualify with just a degree. DEA's most recent announcement closed, not sure when they're having another. one. One thing that will help is having a current or previous job the requires some degree of a Federal Background investigation, reason being is that because then you are a known quantity rather than just a street hire.

• ZH97
      ZH97 commented
      Editing a comment
      RedBeardRanger Thanks for the response! I assume by "training courses" you mean like those provided by an LE department? Or are you also referring to private courses (e.g. battlefield trauma or tactical pistol/carbine courses provided by Gunsight Academy, Academi, Sheepdog, etc.)?

• RedBeardRanger
      RedBeardRanger commented
      Editing a comment
      ZH97 anything relevant. If you can get into LE specific trainings great. Train Jiu jitsu. Just focus on acquiring relevant job experience. Make yourself standout from other college grads. When I’m doing interviews I want to know why I should invest my time in you versus the next candidate.

• Wave 3 info session in Detroit and interviewed in Chicago on 08/21/19. Still waiting to hear anything.

Comment

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the waiting pool after interviewing, Wave 1 and 2 have kept the water nice and warm.

• beauonly
      beauonly commented
      Editing a comment
      Levithane LOL! And three previous announcements worth of applicants have been peeing in it...

• Wave 3. I interviewed in Chicago on Aug 22nd. Just received TOL today.

Comment

• beauonly Pipi's splash town was nice enough to accommodate us all.

splashtown.jpg

Comment

• beauonly
        beauonly commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahah. Classic! I 'member.

• First time posting. I'm a wave 2 applicant and here's my progress. Stay patient and motivated.

05/19- info session Las Vegas
      06/19- Interview in Philly
      08/19- invite to apply/assessment
      09/10/19- referred as G5
      09/27/19- TOL
      10/30/19- Drug test
      10/31/19- medical schedule notification
      11/18/19- medical

Comment

• Anybody else have trouble downloading the attachments from medical email??

Comment

• beauonly
          beauonly commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I had to save directly to desktop and then open it when I got mine... something weird like that.

• normal_guy
          normal_guy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I did. I opened it from my work computer with a newer version of Adobe and word.

• Michael Scarn
          Michael Scarn commented
          Editing a comment
          I also had a hard time. I think I had to reinstall adobe or make sure the newest version was updated.

• Sgt0844
          Sgt0844 commented
          Editing a comment
          I emailed them back after scheduling medical and let them know the files weren't sent right. They sent me new pdf file and opened right away

• Sorry if this is already answered I haven’t seen it anywhere in the forum what part of the hiring process do you do the PT test?

Comment

• beauonly
          beauonly commented
          Editing a comment
          At the end, right before you (hopefully) get your final offer.

• matt_laut
          matt_laut commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool thanks they basically give you as much time as possible to prepare for it it would seem

• beauonly
          beauonly commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. And it's only valid for 90 days so when you get to that point you have to stay on top of the pt.

• What happens if you pass the push ups and sit ups but not the mile and a 1/2 run? Do you only get one chance or get to come back at a later date?

Comment

• beauonly
          beauonly commented
          Editing a comment
          USMC_UNCW This is absolutely true. I saw about a minute loss in my run time after just under 4 weeks of time not running. Lesson learned, to say the least.

Force yourselves to get out there and run... hell, even jump on a treadmill if you need to. Just be sure to pump up the elevation/incline level!

• quick_turn
          quick_turn commented
          Editing a comment
          USMC_UNCW I’m right there with ya. I’m used to hot and humid. I know NC and SC weather very well. It will be just our luck that we get FLETC dates for May-August where we just stay sticky and sweaty 24/7.

• quick_turn
          quick_turn commented
          Editing a comment
          RedBeardRanger can you throw out some examples? I’m assuming the following: push-ups, 8count body builders, military burpees, jumping jacks, air squats, lunges, tons of running. What else can we prep for at FLETC?

• RedBeardRanger
          RedBeardRanger commented
          Editing a comment
          quick_turn You've pretty much got it. Body weight exercises.

• I got the email last week, asking for my location so they could find a medical contractor near me. I responded. Haven't received contact info so I can schedule the med yet. Was I forgotten, or are there others in this boat?

Comment

• beauonly
          beauonly commented
          Editing a comment
          They just do things at their own speed man. Don't worry!

You can always email them to ask for an update too.

• Sgt0844
          Sgt0844 commented
          Editing a comment
          I just looked back at my email and got a response 3-4 hrs after submitting my location providing me with a contact to call for an appointment.

• Pbjecho1
          Pbjecho1 commented
          Editing a comment
          They took a whole month to schedule mine after that email

• Thanks lot for the replies guys!! The tiny shot of Bang sounds like a good idea lol

Comment

• Pbjecho1
          Pbjecho1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Those grinds coffee pouches also help to suck on while running

• Curious to hear what some people are going to be leaving behind in hopes of academy spot and final location? I'll be taking about a 40k paycut starting out and leaving our first newborn ( 2 months old) alone with my my wife for the majority of 6 months!
        12/10/18- USMS Info Session
        3/25/19- USMS Interview
        4/24/19- USMS invite to apply online
        5/28/19 - Referred to USMS.
        7/19/19 - TOL recieved
        8/27/19- Medical sched'
        8/30/19- Drug test
        9/5/19- Medical completed*
        10/21//19 - E-Qip submitted/ Fingerprints completed.
        11/4/19- meeting with background investigator.

Comment

• NiteLite916
          NiteLite916 commented
          Editing a comment
          Pay cut, promotion to Chief Deputy in less than 12 months, chance to be Sheriff in my county when my Sheriff retires in about 2 years (with the support of my Sheriff), wife, 4 kids one of which is a newborn.

• beauonly
          beauonly commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually recently took a 50% paycut to get a Federal job... so GL7 is actually a slight increase from GS7 for me, LOL! Both positions (if the rumors are true) are capped at 13, but with LEAP I would be making more with the USMS in a few years.

In terms of family - wife (current fed), 3 kids, dog, owned house... they're all established where I live currently so If I don't get a commutable location, I'll be alone for a good part of my first duty location. Plan after that is a transfer or maybe moving everyone to me (depending on where I end up).

This is a dream career move (and one that I have to make for my own sanity) so we're all on board and willing to make whatever sacrifices we need to in order for it to work out. It's gonna be rough, but its for literally the best cause I can think of. Fortune favors the bold, right?

• quick_turn
          quick_turn commented
          Editing a comment
          85-115k pay cut
          Likely selling truck and buying a used car
          On track to promotion with paid relocation options
          Not married and no kids so uprooting is easier
          Will need to find someone to watch my dogs while in training and moving

Each step I go through and get closer to final offer I start to think more about what I have to plan: sell that, give away this, check trade-in value of truck, etc.

• USMC_UNCW
          USMC_UNCW commented
          Editing a comment
          With great sacrifice, comes great reward! Money won’t effect me I don’t make that much as a Sheriff’s Deputy. Leaving my wife and My new born will suck. As a Marine it doesn’t bother me that much. Speaking of which fellas! Baby boy should be here any day I can’t wait. We named him Wyatt. Well y’all know why we named him that haha

• Thanks for the info.
        Last edited by FNG41YR; 11-06-2019, 02:32 PM. Reason: Answered

Comment

• beauonly
          beauonly commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds about right. It's been a while, but I believe USMS HR (Arlington) called me to tell me to schedule my medical with the closest Health Office to me.

It might have been through email... crap, i don't remember... But HR Arlington is definitely a 703 number.
          Last edited by beauonly; 11-06-2019, 12:26 PM.

• Tx21
          Tx21 commented
          Editing a comment
          For medical i got am email and had to reply back with location......then received another with a number i had to call to schedule the appt...... for the drug test it was a call from HR and then an email.

• Michael Scarn
          Michael Scarn commented
          Editing a comment
          An Arlington number will call you for drug test. Medical will be scheduled by email. That’s how it was for me at least.

• structure Interview today ...we’ll see...I was informed that an email for pass or fail is sent out to let you know

Comment

• Levithane
          Levithane commented
          Editing a comment
          I can tell you they don't send out an email about passing or failing. Interviewed in July, given paperwork stating the same thing that "applicants are notified 30 days, if they failed the interview". If you ask HR about the status of things, they'll tell you that you are an active applicant. When I spoke to HR they did not seem to be aware of telling people about passing or failing, they told me I was still an active applicant. Some people received invites to apply to an opening on USA jobs, other people haven't heard a peep since interviewing.

• parkscout93
          parkscout93 commented
          Editing a comment
          Easy or hard interview? Mine is tomorrow.

• Levithane
          Levithane commented
          Editing a comment
          parkscout93 You sign an NDA regarding the interview, just be yourself and go in with confidence.

• Lunytunezpr
          Lunytunezpr commented
          Editing a comment
          They won’t let you know if you passed.

Best tip I can give is: BE CONFIDENT in your answers. Don’t backtrack and don’t make it too complicated. It’s not difficult. Just make sure you are confident in your answer and you’ll be fine. Like others said, can’t really disclose questions, but that’s a tip I’ve found helpful. Also, if you need some time to think, ask them to repeat the question. Nothing wrong with asking to repeat and that buys you time to think... just my two cents.

• If you’ve had any board type interview in law enforcement or military it should be similar ... stick to the star method in explaining...situation action you took and the results of you’re actions. That was the advise I was given, I tried to stick to that.. we’ll see what happens ...i can’t say it worked yet lol

Comment

• Anyone shave for their interview?

Comment

• Donjuan85657
            Donjuan85657 commented
            Editing a comment
            The guys that didn’t shave...any issues?

• Kmiech
            Kmiech commented
            Editing a comment
            None. I think if you are well groomed, it will be fine.

• USMC_UNCW
            USMC_UNCW commented
            Editing a comment
            Fresh shave and haircut, full suit and tie. That impression at the interview may make the difference. If you go to the Marshals Academy you will have to shave every Morning and get hair cuts often.

• RedBeardRanger
            RedBeardRanger commented
            Editing a comment
            Look presentable and professional. Facial hair is not a disqualifying factor at the interview, but don't be looking like a Duck Dynasty wannabe.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4486 users online. 233 members and 4253 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X