Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my first time posting. I appreciate seeing where others are in the process so I wanted to contribute. I just got a call to schedule my drug test. I’m a wave two applicant.
    info session: May 2019
    Interview: July 2019
    Invite to apply online: August 2019
    Referred: September 2019
    TOL: September 2019
    Drug test scheduled: October 16, 2019

I currently hold a tier 5 background so hopefully that speeds up the process. Good luck to all.

Comment

• Michael Scarn
      Michael Scarn commented
      Editing a comment
      6 months that’s crazy.

• Tx21
      Tx21 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was chatting with a 2018 applicant and he said he background to 3 months to clear... that was with no previous clearance i believe

• beauonly
      beauonly commented
      Editing a comment
      Tx21 your mileage may vary! The standard is 90 days from the time the adjudicator starts your file... if nothing else is needed. Who knows how long it takes for them to pick up your actual file though.

• Texan2050
      Texan2050 commented
      Editing a comment
      beauonly what? I thought the 90 day clock started ticking once OPM sent the file?

• I am new to posting, but been following for a bit. My timeline is as follows:

Wave 1
    Info Session- December 2018
    interview- March 2019
    Assessment- None (previous score used)
    Referred- 05/28/2019
    TOL- 07/31/2019
    Drug Test- 09/16/2019
    Medical Email- 10/03/2019
    Medical Completed- 10/16/2019 (both parts complete this day)

I am a current Fed LEO working for the judicial branch. My clearance was completed through OPM, but I am not sure if it will transfer, as I am not sure what type of clearance we are given at my agency, I believe it is a tier 5, but adjudication comes from within the Court. Does anyone by chance have any insight on this? Although with the changes going on in terms of backgrounds I know things could be different by now.

Comment

• NiteLite916
      NiteLite916 commented
      Editing a comment
      My time line is very close to yours. What do you mean when you say "both parts completed this day"? All of my medical testing was completed on the same day but had to return to have the TB test read 48 hours after the primary appointment.

• EternalOptimist
      EternalOptimist commented
      Editing a comment
      NiteLite916 Sorry for the confusion- Basically just means that was the day the packet should have been sent back, so they read the TB test that day and sent it off. I believe if you do the medical through QTC you do everything in one shot, but if you do it through FOH then you have two appointments- plus of course the TB reading.

• NiteLite916
      NiteLite916 commented
      Editing a comment
      EternalOptimist I understand now. Thank you for the clarification.

• For those who have gone through the process, how long does a background investigating (timeline wise) for the Marshals take?

Comment

• FNG41YR
      FNG41YR commented
      Editing a comment
      All depends on the person's background.

• quick_turn a couple other considerations to keep in mind. While they potentially have moved away from the FLETC relied on instruction they are still at the mercy of FLETC in terms of housing accommodations, food, etc. In the last 5 years I have been to numerous advanced training and it seems like FLETC is busting at the seams in terms of max capacity. They put us up in hotels each time, so keep in mind being a basic student that probably won't happen but it speaks to how crazy packed they are. FLETC has really outgrown what it can handle since I went through CITP in 2014. Couple that with TSA moving their training headquarters there it's a freaking madhouse.

Also, I'm told a huge hang up right now is they're uncertain what to do with current 1811's who already have CITP as it relates to this new hybrid course. On one hand they don't want to turn away experienced 1811's who are willing to take the hit and join by making them go through another 5 month basic academy that was already paid for by their current agency (kind of). On the other hand they want everyone to be on the same page. In either case I'm good with whatever they want to do. I'd be willing to bet they make all current 1811's go through the full monty as it doesn't seem there are enough of us to have our own 8 week BDUSM add on training. Time will tell though, and as always this is just talk from a colleague who has been right a number of times so far so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by La_Bamba; 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• money_mike
      money_mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Just throwing this out there.....a well tied in birdie recently told me a few things regarding USMS / FLETC / BDUSM.

The first being that they are only talking about condensing the total training time. So instead of having new hires shoot, drive, and do arrest tactics in CITP, then repeat to different standards in BDUSM, the BDUSM instructors would come in and teach those topics during CITP and it would suffice. This would cut down on about 4 weeks worth of time.

The Second is a rumor with A LOT of smoke that USMS is considering standing up their own individual training academy similar to USBP has in New Mexico. 2 different spots were mentioned. I will leave it at that.

• Bet Wednsday
      Bet Wednsday commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure hope it's not in artesia NM, I've already done that. It sucks. Glynco is way better

• Any wave 3 guys get an invite to apply yet?

Had my interview 08/22/2019 and it seems exactly 30 days after you get an invite to apply.

Haven't heard anything.

June: info session
    August: interview.. and that may be it?

A friend of mine is a recruiter and he said he hasn't heard of any offer letters or invites to apply go out yet. I am from Midwest area.

Comment

• Peacemaker27
      Peacemaker27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey man i'm wave 3, and I also had my info session in June and interviewed in mid Aug. I got an invite to apply online about a month later, and i took my assessment the next day. I recently got referred on Oct 2 for GS-7. I think the process got slowed down due to fiscal year ending, but you should hear soon.

• Mtn hkr
      Mtn hkr commented
      Editing a comment
      Also wave 3 with same timeline as Peacemaker. Not sure how this process works, but with any federal agency, just be patient.

• DJ9
      DJ9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. I’m in the Midwest and have the same timeline as you and have yet to hear anything back after the interview. I emailed hiring mailbox and they said that all applicants are still being processed and we will be notified.

• Originally posted by SSgtPMO View Post
    Any wave 3 guys get an invite to apply yet?

Had my interview 08/22/2019 and it seems exactly 30 days after you get an invite to apply.

Haven't heard anything.

June: info session
    August: interview.. and that may be it?

A friend of mine is a recruiter and he said he hasn't heard of any offer letters or invites to apply go out yet. I am from Midwest area.

Friendly advice

Forget you even applied, I'm serious. A lot of what you'll hear from USMS is all over the place in terms of the process. Example: I had in writing that people who fail interviews within 30 days are contacted. About 2 months or so later I speak with HR on the phone, and they weren't aware of a timeframe like that regarding failure notices. All HR can tell you is that you are still an active applicant. To put it into perspective people from wave 1 and wave 2 have interviewed (including myself) and haven't heard anything after that. Just stay in shape, and answer their emails when they send them to you.

Comment

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      beauonly

Yeah theres no rhyme or reason to the process from what I've gathered. They'll contact you when they need to, seen a lot of people on here getting bent out of shape because everyones timeline is varied.

• quick_turn
      quick_turn commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m aging out. I don’t have 2 years to wait. Barely have 1 year. I don’t want to work for other agencies but with the clock ticking it makes it tough.

• usmc28
      usmc28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Patience, Patience, Patience. Schedule B is moving at light speed compared to the other announcements. A number of them boys who applied under the 2017 announcement just recently got academy dates. I applied under the 2018 NW announcement and Schedule B. Luckily for me, my process has moved fast. Keep training and check your email often. There's no rhyme or reason to the process.

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      @quick_turn

Apply to CBP, BP, BOP, or USSS UD to at least stop your clock.

• money_mike naw we wanna know the 2 spots lol don’t leave us hanging like that lol

Comment

• Anyone know if the Marshals allow you to have a second job? If so, what type of second jobs do Deputies do?

Comment

• Tx21
        Tx21 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great question!... on this same topic..... if we are currently commissioned as a Peace Officer.... will this position hold the commission? If they dont, what about getting on as a reserve peace officer with a local agency? If we were able to do that then it may open the doors for security jobs... some of those gigs pay good money for only a couple hours of work.

• 2020Hopefull
        2020Hopefull commented
        Editing a comment
        Hate to be the burden of bad news but it’s gonna be a 99.9 % no. Once you are fed they do not what you having a second Leo job or having a business at all. The only thing I have seen allowed is if you want to teach at a university part time. I did however see they let you do real estate if you have rentals etc. you jsut have to submit a form for it which gets approved. This is coming from someone who has tried it and seen others try it and were told no from higher ups. I Started as a gs-5 before and just had to suck it up and have roomates, it was hard and I had co-workers who had to get on food stamps who were also gs-5. You can at best hope for over time which most Leo agencies have, its gonna suck but I was a 5 in one of the most expensive cities in the country it can be managed.
        Last edited by 2020Hopefull; 10-18-2019, 01:03 PM.

• NiteLite916
        NiteLite916 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tx21 I hate to burst your bubble but in Texas a Reserve Peace Officer is not allowed, by law, to work off duty security gigs. By statute only full time Peace Officers in Texas may work off duty security jobs.

• Tx21
        Tx21 commented
        Editing a comment
        NiteLite916 no bubbles bursted ..lol..... not something i was banking on....If i make it i will be getting paid a little more than i do now starting at GS-7... i dont volunteer to work many off duty gigs as it is.

• For wave 2, read that TOL closely. From what I gathered, don’t expect much movement until later this month/beginning of November in regards to finishing up the medical process and e-qip directions. Both should occur within 45 days of TOL and I believe a lot of wave 2 applicants received TOL’s beginning to mid September.

Comment

• NiteLite916
        NiteLite916 commented
        Editing a comment
        I received my TOL 07/31/19 and nor the medical or the e-QIP were completed within 45 days. The UA was the only thing completed in the 45 days. I just completed my medical this week on 10/16/19 and the e-QIP was about 3 weeks ago.

• Sgt0844
        Sgt0844 commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. Well my 45 day mark hasn’t hit yet but did take the drug test quickly after the TOL. I’ll keep the forum posted. For my situation I have another 10-15 days until I hit the 45 day mark.

• beauonly
        beauonly commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, keep in mind that if you are previously cleared and they reciprocate it from your current agency, you will likely NOT get an email from OSP and will skip the eQIP process WITHOUT notification.

Basically, if you're already cleared to the requisite level expect radio silence on that front...

• Quick question. Hoping someone can help. I’m working on my eqip. I grew up in a border town and I have a handfull of aunts/cousins (1st cousins) who live in Mexico. Please note* I only see them about twice a year. Do I really have to mention ALL of them in the foreign contacts section???

Comment

• Ghost24
        Ghost24 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would, don’t want it to seem as if you’re concealing something.

• beauonly
        beauonly commented
        Editing a comment
        Willowandrosco I'll echo Ghost24 for sure. If the question says "list EVERY foreign national you have contact with" then list EVERY foreign national you have contact with. Don't omit anything but also try not to overthink the question. If I remember correctly there was a part of the eQIP that defined or gave more details in that regard.

If you still aren't 100% on the question I would get in touch with the security peeps that sent it to you... there should be a contact.

• Willowandrosco
        Willowandrosco commented
        Editing a comment
        Ghost24 and beauonly thank you guys for your input. I definitely listed all of my relatives that I have contact with, even though the contact is so rare. It took me two entire days to get basic info. but I did the best I could..

• Thanks guys for the input. I'm in no hurry since I have a kid due in a few weeks.

It just seemed like most were getting invites to apply right at that 30 day mark after their interview. That was just a little concerning for me.

I will say it started fast and came to a halt after my interview in August. I like the advice of do the step and forget you applied.

Comment

• USMC_UNCW
        USMC_UNCW commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats man! My son is due in 3 weeks. Can’t wait.

• NiteLite916
        NiteLite916 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats man. My newest is 4 months old.

• Is there anyone on here that recently went to the hiring session in Boston ? Sept 2019

Comment

• parkscout93
        parkscout93 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, but I went to the one in Portland, ME in Sept 2019. Haven't heard anything. How about you?

• Frankhill1823
        Frankhill1823 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing yet either

• FEDDI
        FEDDI commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to the one in Providence, RI and haven’t heard anything either.

• Anyone that has interviewed recently- can you advise on an estimated time frame the interview takes to complete? I know to arrive early for the paperwork as requested, but what would be the maximum time for the interview portion? I am trying to plan my flight home.

This is for the 2018 announcement interviews coming up. I am also Wave 4, and I know you Wave 1-3 groups have recently completed which is why I ask. I last did mine from the 2016 post in 2017.

Comment

• beauonly
        beauonly commented
        Editing a comment
        Rule of thumb is to plan for an hour... but you have as much time as you need. A good interview can be far less than that.

I know most of us have alot of experience in this regard, but for everyone out there at the interview stage here's a pro tip from someone who has interviewed and been the interviewee many times for the fed: ask questions at the end. Make a list beforehand if you have to. Show that you've done preparations AND are interested in the position AND the company/organization. This one little extra step can outshine small interview errors or slip ups.

• Levithane
        Levithane commented
        Editing a comment
        I was finished in under an hour. I arrived early to my interview, filled out the paperwork they wanted, and had the opportunity to meet the recruiting officer in person. Beauonly gave good advice as well. I made sure to be cordial, and ask questions at the end.

• ls1_oklahoma
        ls1_oklahoma commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I passed it in 2011 for COOP (cut due to sequestration), passed in 2017 (clearance from Navy prevented USMS to process) Here we go again! lol

• Chex
        Chex commented
        Editing a comment
        beauonly can you give and example of what questions to ask at the end of the interview? This will be my first fed interview coming up and I do not know what to expect.

• I was just contacted by the background investigator and doing my background interview tomorrow. Anybody have insight on how these normally go?

Comment

• beauonly
        beauonly commented
        Editing a comment
        Should be typical questions/answers. Have you done this? Have you ever thought of this? etc, etc. They may ask for more references too. Otherwise its always been straightforward in my experience.

• Tx21
        Tx21 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome @beauonly... thanks.... just getting a little anxious bc this is pretty much my last step other than the FIT

• beauonly
        beauonly commented
        Editing a comment
        Tx21 no worries! At this point the BI should be the easiest thing you've done during the process... You are definitely overthinking it.

• Bet Wednsday
        Bet Wednsday commented
        Editing a comment
        I've done a lot of these, they ask/ or verify every question on SF 86, and clarify anything that needs it. They'll probably ask for other references other than what you put on it. Most of the time they are chill. I wish I knew what the deal with mine is. Havent heard anything and it's been past the 45 days.

• Bet Wednsday as I understand it as a 7-11 (non-1811) Deputy USMS can have outside employment with the proper authorization signed off on. Keep in mind this is for regular outside employment (i.e. bag groceries, massage therapy, etc). I can't imagine any security work would be authorized for liability purposes. I'm told once you get that 1811 gig outside employment is not authorized. As always take it with a grain of salt in terms of accuracy.

Willowandrosco while it may be tedious to put cousins on there I personally would rather be safer than sorry. I can't remember how the question is worded and I am not even sure if it asks about extended family. It's better to follow the question and answer it to the letter than cut corners. I know a former colleague who immediately had his TOL yanked with a different agency because he didn't answer the question exactly as it was worded and they deemed it deceptive during the investigation interview. Point is just follow it to the letter and you cant go wrong my friend. Best of luck.

Comment

• Willowandrosco
        Willowandrosco commented
        Editing a comment
        La_Bamba thank you so much for your input.! I ended up entering all of my foreign relatives that I could think of that I have an active relationship with (even though the contact is rare). Like you said, It’s better to be safe than sorry.. it did take me two entire days to obtain minimal information about these relatives but I tried to enter as much info as I could..

• izamsilas
        izamsilas commented
        Editing a comment
        Standard is close and continuing contact. Also, if you forget someone you forget them...real issue is concealing. If you have a cousin you only see once or twice a year and forget to list them and explain as much to a BI, it’s highly unlikely you’d get an offer pulled or denied for a clearance.

• Willowandrosco
        Willowandrosco commented
        Editing a comment
        izamsilas thank you so much!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9530 users online. 492 members and 9038 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X