Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For someone seperating from the military and into a GS 7 position, are there any tips on making the pay cut a little less painful. So on paper I'm going from around 67k a year to 43k ish (thats desnt incliude all the other finincial benfits of being active duty). I'm not looking for the "yoU ShoUld Be MoRe fINanCialY ResPonSable!!" blah blah save it.

Are non 1811's able to have additional employment? Is overtime a realistic support plan. I know how the promotion system works and i'll be back on top in a few years but 20k+ pay cut if even for a year is a major life changing event for most people i know. Are people like me making it work?

Lastly, I don't want to come off "woe is me" bc i realize lots of people who apply for this position are LEOs who make far less than 43K a year, I realize i'm fortunate to make what I make now and to have an oportunity with the Marshals.

Comment

• Gollywompas
      Gollywompas commented
      Editing a comment
      The for the replies guys

Sheridan....I know what you are saying but i put that in the post because being financially responsible is a GIVEN as step one. I also understand there are sacrifices to be made. I'm looking for the realities that aren't always advertised like those posted above or in the case of many uniformed officer i know, who make 32 base pay but clear twice that every year based on other opportunities or income streams...

• RedBeardRanger
      RedBeardRanger commented
      Editing a comment
      It is completely doable, in fact RettAllan17 and I were in the same class. We had numerous guys in our class take a 50% pay cut. As Rett said, it is all how your budget and prioritize the first couple of years. Each district will vary in OT that is available. Larger districts have more available as a general rule. I can tell you that in DC there are full OT shifts every Sat.

• ForzaMilan
      ForzaMilan commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not sure if Marshalls get LEAP the first 2 years but if they do, it will bump the salary by another 25%.

Also, remember that you will only be a GS7 for one year. Take that into consideration.

Another expense you can factor in is the use of gov. issued car. I think most if not all deputies get take home cars? (Might be wrong here, someone correct me if I am)

Good luck with your post military career.

• RedBeardRanger
      RedBeardRanger commented
      Editing a comment
      ForzaMilan Gollywompas USMS Deputies do not get LEAP the first two years, which is clearly described on the job information page. Gov. vehicles are district dependent and should not be relied upon. There are however federal transit subsidies available.

The excepted service recruitment strategy is being established using the District Regional Groups (DRG) as the employment regions.
    Applicants must attend an information session and indicate at the session their interest in employment. The first phase of excepted service hiring will take place in two waves:
    Wave 1 - SWB and AC DRGs (concurrently)
    Wave 2 - NW DRG (targeted for the 3rd qtr. FY19)

FY19 Basic Deputy Classes
    HRD and the TD anticipate six classes for FY19. HRD has hired for the October 2018 and the December 2018 BDUSM classes. HRD plans to continue to fill classes with applicants from August 2017 DUSM NW announcement, the 2018 RG announcement for DC and PR and the July 2018 DUSM NW announcement. The TD is working to schedule a BDUSM class in the 3rd Qtr. Until then the next class is set for July 2019. We anticipate applicants from the excepted service hiring drive becoming available for hire starting in the 4th quarter of FY19.

Comment

• La_Bamba
      La_Bamba commented
      Editing a comment
      Starting guys from the first excepted service drive in as early as 4th quarter of FY 19 is hooking and booking! Sounds like they made fast laning excepted service hires a priority, that's awesome for those guys!!

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry for the lack of knowledge but what does HRD and TD stand for? And what's excpeted service? I'm in the NE and there is no Schedule B hiring. Trying to see when another announcement on USAJOBS is expected to drop.

• Gollywompas
      Gollywompas commented
      Editing a comment
      Out of my lane but HRD is Human Resources Division and TD is Training Division. Google machine excepted service vs selective service; its my understanding there won't be anymore USAJOBS postings now that they are hiring under Schedule B. Contact a USMS recruiter for details about openings and hiring events.

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the info Golly. Called the recruiter a couple times over the past few months and they still refer me to USAJOBS but I'll be calling them this week to see if there's any update. I'd really like to apply in 2019.

Stupid question...but what is a schedule B event? And How do I find out when/where the next one is?

Comment

• Redskins3
      Redskins3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Schedule B is a type of hiring set up through recruiters instead of opening the position up to 30,000 people on USAjobs. Not sure about every instance but I was informed about the hiring seminar through a recruiter. From my understanding, events were set up regionally where people were most needed. As of now that was region 13 (DC area and surroundings) and then border states. Hope this helps some.

Does anyone know if we will have to take an assessment at all? I’m scheduled to interview later this month. What’s after the interview?

Comment

Originally posted by Checkmate View Post
      E-mails to interview with the US Marshals Service under schedule B hiring authority have gone out this week.

I received an invitation to interview the week of 25March19 in San Diego. Current DHS secret clearance, GS-12, hoping to EOD as a GL-7 at least, but I'll take a GL-5 no problem.

Post here for discussion on schedule B hiring for the Marshals Service in 2019.
      I'll be interviewing in SD same time man! Good luck!
      December 10- USMS Info Session
      March 25- USMS Interview

Comment

Just got an email back from my recruiting area saying they are doing Schedule B finally. Was asked to submit my resume and basic info. Was the next step a info session and how long did you guys wait to get an email for that first meeting?
        Last edited by nonotnow; 03-18-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Njw85
          Njw85 commented
          Editing a comment
          What region you located in?

• Njw85
          Njw85 commented
          Editing a comment
          Resume then invite to information session. If your qualified you’ll get an invite to the interview.

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Just looked up the regions. I'm in region 1.

• nonotnow
          nonotnow commented
          Editing a comment
          And thanks for that info.

We currently just started a program called Excepted Service, in which applicants have to attend an informational session to start the hiring process. All are encouraged to apply ( military, law enforcement, college, etc). We currently do not have any informational sessions scheduled within this month. We do not currently have any postings on usajobs.gov. Please contact us in April regarding an update.

Please look at usmarshals.gov to learn more about the agency. You can also find on the website contact info for the office near you to speak with a recruiting officer.

Under our new program called Excepted Service, applicants will start as a GS-5 or GS-7 for the DUSM position.

GS 5 requirements: 3 years of general experience ( demonstrate the ability to write concise reports, problem solve, etc), OR a 4 year bachelor degree OR a combination of both education and experience.

GS 7 requirements: 1 year of specialized experience ( gained in a full-time certified sworn law enforcement officer position), OR a 4 year bachelor degree ( GPA 3.0 or higher), OR 1 full year of graduate study OR a combination of both experience and education.

For all future inquires please email usms.recruitment@usdoj.gov

I also talked to a recruiter in the southwest region, and he indicated that it is the northwest region that will be hiring next. He indicated that southwest recruitment is over.

Comment

• Tommyjd78
          Tommyjd78 commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you know if they are still hiring excepted service recruits that meet the requirements as GS7/10 ish? I am currently in excepted service/schedule B hiring. My classmate from a different federal LE agency transferred into the USMS from a GS 11/4 position to a GS7/10 w the USMS then progressed to 9/7, 11/4, 12/1. Any info?

Do you know if by applying for for example through San Diego, does that mean you'll be hired in that area?

Comment

jj858, no it does not. There are no guarantees.

Comment

Also, schedule B hiring is unique in that you will be an “excepted service” employee for 3 years. Just think of it as one big probationary period where if you don’t keep your nose clean they can move to terminate you prior to the end of your 3 years before you convert to career conditional. Happens with the secret service all the time as they use 3 year probationary periods for new agents and then convert them once the 3 years is up. I think it’s a great tool to weed out the folks who aren’t fit for this line of work.

Also, say you have no prior law enforcement experience and this is your first LEO gig. 2 years goes by out of your 3 and you want to jump ship to an 1811 gigat another agency. You can’t use any of the 2 years experience you gained with the Marshals under this hiring authority for a new job unless there is an interchange agreement between the agencies where you can jump. Not a huge deal because most Marshals seem to stay for their career but it’s important folks should know what hiring under schedule B means versus being hired under a normal hiring authority. Confusing I know but as long as your squared away you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

• nonotnow
              nonotnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome info thanks for that. I'm sure most people reading this know most LE agencies do the year probationary period. I know most dont let go of someone for just any reason as they've invested something in you. Again thanks! Might be common knowledge for some but I'm totally new to the fed world.

Completed my interview in San Diego earlier today. Went well I think. Now the wait for the next part which will be the OPM test / asessment! good luck to all! !
            December 10- USMS Info Session
            March 25- USMS Interview

Comment

Originally posted by La_Bamba View Post
              Congrats to all who got the email and began the next step of their journey. If I can give you a word of advice when/if they offer, do not listen to the naysayers and debbie downers who talk about areas they've never been to but like to repeat negative talk. I'm an 1811 (not Marshals) in the border region of Texas and when I opted to come here I had more haters and negative nancy's in my ear than I care to admit. I'm a coastal guy so it was a bit of a change but I can unequivocally say it is pretty dang good out here. Taxes are low so that negates some of the paycut you may take, the people are phenomenal, the cost of living is relatively low, and the food is out of this world. Not to mention from what I gather you folks can OPREF (Office of Preference) out after 3 years so that's not a bad deal. The Marshals I have met and worked with in the area are absolute top notch guys and gals.

If that region is offered and you have any questions about the quality of life here especially if you're coming from a metro city like DC, please don't hesitate to private message me.
              However, if you do get picked up all your benefits from those two years transfer such as pension, TSP, sick, annual time, life insurance, etc.....

Comment

any marshals in the DC region on here? current federal LE here interviewing for this job next month.

Comment

Interviewed DC.
                  Can't wait to be a Marshal they are like the Marines of law enforcement. Can't say much but good luck to anyone and everyone in the process!

Comment

Interviewed in SD a few days ago. It was a standard federal job interview, no surprises.

The deputy who showed me out said that they have a lot of people to interview, so not to expect to hear anything back for 30-60 days.

Comment

• Mf821
                      Mf821 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Might want to rethink your idea of a "long time" Mustang2003. There are still people getting word back from February 2018 interviews...

• Njw85
                      Njw85 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Forget you ever applied. It’s actually moving pretty fast if you ask me. Four months in and already an interview.

• Mustang2003
                      Mustang2003 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mf821 Njw85 haha copy that. I just thought the assessment would come quicker than 2 months.

• Tommyjd78
                      Tommyjd78 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interviewed Nov 2018 and received TO March 14, 2019. TO letter stated they would cross reference my BI to see if it meets their Tier 5 BI requirements. I currently have a TS clearance which is a Tier 5 so hopefully it goes through. Anyone know of a timeline for cross referencing a BI to the next step? I would still have to take the medical, drug test and PT test. I am in the excepted service/schedule B hiring. Thanks in advance for any info.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7553 users online. 368 members and 7185 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X