Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions. Are nearly trimmed beards acceptable for interviews? Is it safe to assume if we get an invite to the online assessment after the interview we passed said interview?

Comment

• RedBeardRanger
      RedBeardRanger commented
      Editing a comment
      Be neat and professional. When I originally interviewed there was a guy who looked super squared away, except for the tattoos covering his hands and neck. He eventually got hired from what I heard. That being said it all depends on who you interview with. USMS is fairly relaxed about that stuff.

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the advice. As much as I love the beard, I'm not taking any chances so itll go day before. **** if I get the job I can always grow it back.

• RedBeardRanger
      RedBeardRanger commented
      Editing a comment
      You would have to be clean shaven for training anways. It is what it is. That being said the last time I shaved (other than lining up my beard) was the morning of graduation. Good luck.

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate it. I dont get to have a beard much so I was enjoying it while it lasted. Had my interview already and no one else has a beard so I'm glad it went.

• I hear the same things you guys are hearing in that no office or region is guaranteed regardless of where your information session was. I’d be willing to bet that it’s just like a regular announcement in that during the final offer stage they will probably ask you to list your top 3 in order of preference from a list of need based districts they give you. In my experience the areas offered were everywhere lol (Baltimore, Seattle, El Paso, Tucson, and DC). From there you might have a phone interview with the chief of that district to see if it’s a good fit and then they offer you a specific office.In other words no matter what, don’t count super court out no matter how far you live away lol.
    Last edited by La_Bamba; 06-07-2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Tx21
      Tx21 commented
      Editing a comment
      When i went to my interview i filled out a little more paperwork and was told to pick what regions i wanted..... i only picked 1 region..... since then i have moved onto the assessment and now referred to hiring. I guess maybe they will ask again later in the process or get more specific with home office selection.

• matt_laut
      matt_laut commented
      Editing a comment
      Tx21 what was your timeline from hiring seminar, SI, assessment to being referred?

• Tx21
      Tx21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Info session: Dec 2018
      Interview: April 2019
      App. & Assessment: April 2019
      Referred to Hiring Manager: May 2019

matt_laut So about a 6 month period from info session until being referred. Keep in mind we were dealing with the Government shut down.

• matt_laut
      matt_laut commented
      Editing a comment
      Copy, I should be attending a info session in August so hopefully the ball gets rolling and this time next year we're all cruised through.

• Delete Delete
    Last edited by Bullockry14; 08-20-2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm also looking for info. This is from 2012 but maybe its still relevant? Edit: cant post it as it's over the 100 kb limit. It's a study guide for the interview and online assessment. I can send it to anyone if you give me your email.

• Bullockry14
      Bullockry14 commented
      Editing a comment
      Delete Delete
      Last edited by Bullockry14; 08-20-2019, 11:17 PM.

• Originally posted by Tx21 View Post
    When i went to my interview i filled out a little more paperwork and was told to pick what regions i wanted..... i only picked 1 region..... since then i have moved onto the assessment and now referred to hiring. I guess maybe they will ask again later in the process or get more specific with home office selection.
    I would not really pay attention to the regions “wish list” at that point. They do that for the regular announcement too but ultimately it’s a formality. Like I said earlier from my experience it comes up twice at the final offer stage. The first will be from HR at the final offer giving you district options (like I mentioned my 5 earlier), then when you list your top 3 or 5 in order of preference they send your info to the chief of your top choice. They conduct the impromptu and informal phone interview to see if your a good fit for their district. The phone interview is a casual conversation nothing crazy to worry about unless you have Tourette’s or something.From there they tell HR whether they want you and what specific office in that district the chief wants to put you in. HR gets back with you and says okay they’ve offered you the “Middle of Nowhere” office (for example), do you accept? It depends on the HR person you are working with but if you tell them you want to accept but you can’t do “Middle of Nowhere” they will go back to the Chief and see if there is a spot for you at any other office in his / her district aside from “middle of nowhere.” If not or if your first choice of preference doesn’t feel like it’s a good fit based on the phone interview they move on to your second district choice and repeat the same process.I feel like 9 out of 10 times I’ve heard the chiefs are great and will work with candidates. They did in my case for sure.

I can’t caution this enough, this is schedule B so they could have thrown it all out and be doing it a completely different way for this type of hiring. You made it this far so congrats man. Have you started training for the fit? From what I saw and read I loved their new test where it gave more weight to strength than running. Now it’s back to the old test with some speedy run times. I don’t have the “wheels” of a 20 something like I used to.
    Last edited by La_Bamba; 06-08-2019, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• nonotnow
      nonotnow commented
      Editing a comment
      Quality post, thanks La Bamba. Are you in the academy or currently in the process?

• Tx21
      Tx21 commented
      Editing a comment
      La_Bamba i second that..... very informative post.. thank you for that..... yea i have been training for the FIT.... i started back in March.... im currently in LE so i stay in pretty good shape. But prior to March i was doing mainly strength training and Jiu Jitsu. Since March ive started doing more running.... its so hard ..hah... im 5’9 200 lbs...around February i was benching 360, squatting 430, and doing pull-ups with a 45 lb plate.... now im just doing high rep weights and running.... ive gotten my mile down to 8:24 ... thats usually after my workouts.... im 31 and need to be under 12:50 for the 1.5 mile to receive the minimum passing ................ on a different topic...... ive heard that this far in the process, so long as you have all your stuff together, then there is a high chance of making it to the end. Do you find that to be true?

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Tx21, Try using row machines. For cardio I've been doing 10 minutes on a row machine (max setting), 20 minutes on a bike after rowing or elliptical at high resistance, then another 20 minutes to end after doing body strength work outs. In between gym days Ill do a 2 mile run on a treadmill. I don't time myself often and I think last time I clocked myself was like 11:30 to 12:00 something on a mile and a half. Treadmills can help you maintain a set speed, but I wouldn't consider the time you get on a treadmill accurate (your time is usually quicker).

• Originally posted by nonotnow View Post
    Quality post, thanks La Bamba. Are you in the academy or currently in the process?
    I went through the process in 2016. I declined the final offer for personal reasons but getting to know the process was great albeit frustrating at times. It really taught me to be more patient and that things will happen when they happen and we can’t force it. I definitely feel like if someone had walked me through the process they went through it would have made waiting easier so that’s why I contribute as much as I can. I know if you guys are like me you’re motivated and want to start training like yesterday lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tx21 View Post
      La_Bamba i second that..... very informative post.. thank you for that..... yea i have been training for the FIT.... i started back in March.... im currently in LE so i stay in pretty good shape. But prior to March i was doing mainly strength training and Jiu Jitsu. Since March ive started doing more running.... its so hard ..hah... im 5’9 200 lbs...around February i was benching 360, squatting 430, and doing pull-ups with a 45 lb plate.... now im just doing high rep weights and running.... ive gotten my mile down to 8:24 ... thats usually after my workouts.... im 31 and need to be under 12:50 for the 1.5 mile to receive the minimum passing ................ on a different topic...... ive heard that this far in the process, so long as you have all your stuff together, then there is a high chance of making it to the end. Do you find that to be true?
      So I have no inside knowledge aside from casual conversations with the Marshals in my area and my own experience. I would wager that if you made it this far and are a current LEO you probably have a better than 50% chance of making it to a final offer.

This is also very important because it will take time. If you’re a veteran with a disability rating you need to have your original disability decision at the ready for the USMS medical staff. If you’re like me and got out a very long time ago you may have misplaced the original. It took quite a while to locate a copy of the write up and get the VA to send it to me (I’m old lol). They’re going to want you to give a copy of that to the medical professional who does your physical and they’re supposed to include it in your physical paperwork they send in. Bear in mind this is usually your local urgent care. The one they sent me to was not reputable and after I gave them a copy of my decision paperwork they didn’t send it in with the paperwork. I followed up 2 weeks later with the medical staff and got a very rude reply about how “if I would have done what I was supposed to...” I explained to them I did what I was supposed to but the urgent care they sent me to opted not to include my decision paperwork. I ended up sending them a digital copy via email but if I did not follow up it could have been weeks or months before they got back to me about the missing paperwork. Moral of the story is when it comes to your medical follow up and make sure everything is in order.

Comment

• mikedaly50
        mikedaly50 commented
        Editing a comment
        .....you are an insider!

• Tx21
        Tx21 commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes me feel better La_Bamba .... i dont really have a medical history.. no surgeries, broken bones etc.... no military...... and i pulled my background from my current agency to make sure everything is accurate when i complete EQIP..... ive never left the country other than a cruise i took. ... haha.. i look pretty boring on paper.... but im hoping that will increase my odds..... ive seen in the forums and ive heard from other Marshals that the way Schedule B is layed out they have already gotten rid of a lot people... and that from here on out its just making sure your info is accurate and you dont have major hiccups.

• What’s the required body fat percentage? They went back to the old fir test right? All I see on their website it the new fit test.

Comment

• Gollywompas
        Gollywompas commented
        Editing a comment
        I did mine two weeks ago... nothing about body fat.. just did pushups, sit ups, sit and reach, then headed to the track for the run.... i have an email and powerpoint with the current standards they sent me a few months ago if you shoot me your email address im happy to forward it.

• Originally posted by matt_laut View Post
      Has anyone from the Philly, NJ, DE info seminar heard anything, trying to get an idea once I attend the Southeast region seminar in August
      Where is the Southeast seminar? How do I get information on this? Thank you!

Comment

• nonotnow
        nonotnow commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't seen any info on SE area yet, if at all.

• matt_laut
        matt_laut commented
        Editing a comment
        I called an office and requested to speak with the district recruiter and he was really cool about it. I’m sure not every office is the same.

• Has anyone heard anything back confirming dates and times for interviews in arlington va?

Comment

• nonotnow
        nonotnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Heard back the next day for confirmation for another location, not Arlington though.

• DB9173
        DB9173 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not heard anything back either. Wondering if I should of pick a different location.

• Merlyn0
        Merlyn0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same boat, I picked Portland and haven't heard anything.

• Levithane
        Levithane commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't worry about your location choice. They'll notify you within the two week period like the email states. Trust me you'll get the email when you least expect it.

• Mike lol just sharing my experience so you fellas can have a smooth ride to the final offer.

@TX doesn’t sound like you’ll have no problem. What I like about schedule B is that folks are “excepted service” for 3 years so if someone turns out to not be ideal or a problem child they can get rid of them easier than under any other announcement.
      Last edited by La_Bamba; 06-09-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Roninjin
        Roninjin commented
        Editing a comment
        On the flip side to this, if they are a victim of discrimination or other prohibited action, their termination can be disguised under this announcement

• Tx21
        Tx21 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea!! I read that in Trumps Executive Order. I like that is was put in there as as a caveat to fulfill the needs of the department quickly with people that have experience in that field. I don’t really foresee a lot of people getting the boot after 3 years though. I could see that happening with people who were recent graduates but had no experience in the field. But with the “excepted service” you are looking at individuals who have been in that structure or capacity either in the military, other department, or both. I think the over quality of applicants will be good. And if not, at least you will have that on your resume! Hah.

• Anyone attend the Info Session in Fresno on May 15th?! Still standing by to hear something, seems like a couple people from my group already got emails for interviews.

Comment

• Curious if anyone above a GS-9 has gotten an interview after info session? I know 3 others who did not receive an interview, but another GS-9 that did. All were at the same info session and all current 1811 or 1801.

Comment

• Checkmate
          Checkmate commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm an 1801/GS-12. Got the interview invite, passed, got the exclusive announcement, referral list, now waiting.

• Bet Wednsday
          Bet Wednsday commented
          Editing a comment
          I am a gs 13, got referred.

• izamsilas
          izamsilas commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Must be me! Hahaha all good and good luck!

• Did anyone have to take the assessment when you received the exclusive announcement?

Comment

• Njw85
          Njw85 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. I would glance through this forum, a lot of your question will be answered. But yes you take an assessment. Take it serious, it determines if you move forward or not.

• Are they still enforcing a 20/200 uncorrected vision policy?

Comment

• Levithane
          Levithane commented
          Editing a comment
          I asked about corrective eye surgery when I went to the information session. It didn't sound like corrective procedures would disqualify you, provided there are no issues. If everything is A ok you should be fine. Website even says its only disqualifying "dependent on the outcome of the surgery". Now if you're eyesight is worse than 2/200, you'll probably need to get it corrected.

• MRock
          MRock commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'm at 20/400 uncorrected, which doesn't meet their standard. And it's hard to mentally justify spending $3600 dollars for mere eligibility, though I know I have a very competitive resume. That sucks. Okay, well, I guess I'll have to figure something out.

• Hello everybody. Just spent a good hour+ going over this and other USMS hiring threads.So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, the current way to apply for the Marshals is to email the main recruiting email and ask about upcoming information sessions, they'll ask some questions and request a resume, then send over a list (and I will likely have to RSVP for the session), attend the session, fill out an application/questionnaire, and then the rest is done by email. How close am I?

I've got about 20 months of active-duty time left in the Army as a 31D, so I figure now is the time to apply for federal jobs. I've got some choice state and local agencies that I can apply for later as backups, since those application processes only take about 6 months.

Comment

• Levithane
          Levithane commented
          Editing a comment
          Normally I would go ahead and say apply, but schedule B has been moving quick for a Federal process. The issue you would run into is possibly getting a job offer before the Army has discharged you. You would have to ask HR I have no idea as to whether they hold spots for individuals until they finish military service.

Regarding schedule B, they haven't asked me for anything as of current (no resume, nothing). You fill out a small bit of paperwork at the information session, but thats about it. Some of the other offices asked for resumes, but the one I went to didn't ask for one.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10706 users online. 497 members and 10209 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X