Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Secret Service Special Agent (1811 - Criminal Investigator)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Secret Service Special Agent (1811 - Criminal Investigator)

I got this email message while I was going through my background investigation;

"We are fortunate to have many best-qualified applicants apply for this position; however, after careful consideration, I regret to inform you that you are no longer being considered for this position.

Thank you for your interest in the United States Secret Service. We wish you success in your future employment endeavors."

I went through all the initial hiring process (Started November 2018 till Jan 2019). I never got an email about my poly exam but when I had an at home interview, I was advised that If I had not passed my poly exam, they would not be conducting the at home interview.

I have a prior medical issue that has be resolved. I had an appointment setup to provide medical clearance report.

But, I just received an email following two missed calls from a private number informing me that I am no longer being considered.

I am not sure what went wrong. Why did I receive this email? Is it just because they have better qualified applicants? In case, if there was something (I highly doubt this) wrong in my background investigation, then why did my investigator not contact me for an explanation?

I am currently a LEO GS-12.

Does anyone have had a similar experience? Or does anyone know anything about this?
    I will appreciate a feedback.
    Last edited by salsaeed19; 01-21-2019, 04:37 AM.

• DocHolidayFan
    replied
    Failed the SAEE. I'm out, but I'll more than likely try again.

Leave a comment:

• Boot1811
    replied
    Originally posted by DocHolidayFan View Post
    Taking the SAEE this Saturday. Any studying advice will help. Still having trouble with the photo memory portion.
    Just get comfortable with the material on the practice exam. That's all you can do. For the memorization stuff, you need to get a feel for what they're asking about by studying the practice exam. That way, you can focus on items you predict they'll ask about on the exam itself.

Leave a comment:

• DocHolidayFan
    replied
    Taking the SAEE this Saturday. Any studying advice will help. Still having trouble with the photo memory portion.

Leave a comment:

• salsaeed19
    replied
    A word of advice:

Provide every bit of information on your e-QIP. I mean even the one you think you can explain if the investigator needs to know more about it. I mean just put everything in detail. The reason I am saying this is because with some law enforcement agencies, the investigator will contact you if something needs further clearance or explanation for possible mitigation purposes. But the investigators with USSS will not bother wasting their time on that if you have already not put your detailed explanation on the eQIP already. Or they may just automatically assume you as not the best fit for their agency if they believe that something is derogatory and mitigation circumstances does not exist.

I hope you understand. And good luck to everyone!

Leave a comment:

• CompShooter
    replied
    Has anyone progressed?

Leave a comment:

• DesertRat707
    commented on 's reply
    The service has some big negatives, and some great positives. If it had the manpower to not break the backs of Agents/Officers it would be a great agency.
    I've heard of a few Agents over the years come home from a trip to find an empty house, as their Wives/GF packed up and left.

• r3gul8r
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for putting things into a better perspective instead of just ranting. This kind of clears things up about the constant travel and moving around.

• DesertRat707
    replied
    The issues are one in the same for CBP. Manpower has been an issue with the USSS for decades. Every job has it's ups and downs.

The known factors for the USSS. Travel: Campaign Years you have campaign rotation 3 weeks out traveling from City to city. You return home, then you do 3 weeks of regular "post standing"/Advance travel. You may be utilized 5 days, or all 21 days, it depends on manpower demands. (Try and make plans with never knowing if you will be called to fly away). After your regular rotation, your campaign rotation comes up, back to back. 200+ days of traveling per campaign year.( Which now stretches to 18 months).

Every protectee goes somewhere for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Expect to work. UNGA in September/October, you will work it on top of your regular travel rotation. There are many yearly blackout periods (No AL authorized).

Then there is the issue of 8 years in DC. I won't even go into that can of worms. After 15-18 years of USSS service, you MAY apply to go to a place you want. Even then, if you get to where you want to go, you have regular rotation and Campaign commitments until you retire.

That's just Travel. Management, equipment, policy are all issues.

upsides: Pay/OT, good technical training if you are into computer forensics, wireless intercepts, upgrades in security clearance.
    ​​
    Last edited by DesertRat707; 02-20-2019, 06:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WilliamB275
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't, my app still says being reviewed. Hoping to get referred though.

• Lovetocamp
    commented on 's reply
    All I know is that it can't be any worse than being a BPA or CBPO. These guys complaining don't know what real misery is. It's like the Air Force complaining about bad living standards when you're in the Army/Marines. You laugh at their complaints.

• r3gul8r
    replied
    I've heard mixed reviews about the USSS Criminal Investigator position, but I recently threw my name in the hat. I'm currently working for another DHS agency, another one with low morale (CBP). Each day is hit or miss for me. Some days I enjoy it, but most days I dread it. I work along the southwest border and as of late, we've received so much negativity from our elected officials and some from the general public over the whole wall debate. I just can't see myself doing this job for the rest of my career and continuing to work the line. Short staffing is a huge concern and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. (I've worked 4 different locations on the SWB and it's all the same)

While I understand everyone has their own opinions about the job and I have my own opinions even about my current agency, but is the USSS 1811 gig really that bad? I know that guarding a hallway etc can/could be boring but what other aspects stop people from wanting to go to or stay with the Secret Service? I'd like to know the huge determining factors why people dislike this position. I know management has always been up there, but that's going to be any agency, as CBPs isn't any better.

I'm just looking for something different instead of saying Que Trae/What are you bringing all day. There's got to be at least some pros in the mix of the cons.

Leave a comment:

• DesertRat707
    replied
    Having given them 6 years of my life. I could not leave the agency fast enough. Not to say it didn't have it's upside, some good training and opportunities. But campaign cycles stretched to 18 months before the election! Ridiculous

There is another Exodus occuring now, before this next campaign starts up which further exacerbates manpower issues. It was a great agency a decade ago, now i's just trying to survive.

About 1/3 of SA's are eligible to retire, I expect them to pop smoke before Campaign Ops get crazy. Good luck to those that want to jump on the sinking ship. HSI will need to take up the slack.

Leave a comment:

• CompShooter
    replied
    Has anyone else gotten a update? I was referred and I’ve scheduled my test.

Leave a comment:

• salsaeed19
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for the feedback!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6019 users online. 230 members and 5789 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X