Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Secret Service Special Agent (1811 - Criminal Investigator)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Secret Service Special Agent (1811 - Criminal Investigator)

I got this email message while I was going through my background investigation;

"We are fortunate to have many best-qualified applicants apply for this position; however, after careful consideration, I regret to inform you that you are no longer being considered for this position.

Thank you for your interest in the United States Secret Service. We wish you success in your future employment endeavors."

I went through all the initial hiring process (Started November 2018 till Jan 2019). I never got an email about my poly exam but when I had an at home interview, I was advised that If I had not passed my poly exam, they would not be conducting the at home interview.

I have a prior medical issue that has be resolved. I had an appointment setup to provide medical clearance report.

But, I just received an email following two missed calls from a private number informing me that I am no longer being considered.

I am not sure what went wrong. Why did I receive this email? Is it just because they have better qualified applicants? In case, if there was something (I highly doubt this) wrong in my background investigation, then why did my investigator not contact me for an explanation?

I am currently a LEO GS-12.

Does anyone have had a similar experience? Or does anyone know anything about this?
    I will appreciate a feedback.
    Last edited by salsaeed19; 01-21-2019, 04:37 AM.

Consider it a blessing. USSS has the LOWEST morale among federal agencies. Turnover is through the roof and who wants to work without pay during shutdowns while Congress and others get paid.

Comment

• OCN_1
      OCN_1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d maybe work for the agency before writing it off. Shutdowns are part of working for the government, we aren’t the only agency impacted. Our mission is monstrous but I’d say our morale is just fine.

I tell people if you want to see what standing post is about, go put on a suit and tie and your stiffest shoes. Then tonight from 12am to 12pm, go stand in your garage in front of the kitchen door. Repeat tomorrow night and the following night. Recognize that's how 30% of your career will be spent....
    One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Trained with a USSS not long ago for a couple months. He echoed what hangman said. Yeah no thanks!

Comment

Blessing and a curse. Blessing cause you didn’t get hired, but damn son, you couldn’t get hired by the secret service. They hemorrhaging people. Just talking smack man. Keep applying and hope for the best.

Comment

I just got the same EXACT email after 9 months of background. I DID notice that my "conditional appointment" would be withdrawn if my position "lacked present funding." I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE that salsaeed19 had.

Comment

Man, like everybody else been saying be glad you didnt get hired with them. I went through basic training with a lot of them and they were already trying to switch agencies. They dont value their people and treat them terribly. I know the goal is always to get an 1811 and then switch to an agency u want but if getting an 1811 position with USSS is worth being miserable, no family, and depression then reapply. Other wise forget them. By the way I made it all the way to medical with them and they kicked me out the process. I am so glad that they didnt hire me. Probably would be divorce. Much happier at my current agency.

Comment

As far as I understood the USSS (1811 - Special Agent), they do not hire just about anyone. There are not too many agents and that is why they are trying to hire more agents. But they will not compromise quality over quantity. I went through their hiring process, they are very thorough and very professional. Everyone (Agents) are very fit, humble, and educated. You can be disqualified for being someone who loves gossiping and spreads rumors.

Albrey, yes, a good possibility that lack of funding may have been a reason for not being considered for hiring. Otherwise, as far as I understand, if there is an issue in the background, your investigator will contact you for an explanation. I will definitely reapply.

I understand that some people think that your sole purpose is to protect the president, congressmen and or dignitaries, but they do a lot more than just that. I am looking into something like computer forensics. And to be on protective detail while do investigative work whenever you get a chance sounds fun to me.

One of the most important factor that plays a role in getting hired is to obtain Top Secret Clearance with federal law enforcement (Not a private contractor/military). It does not matter that you are TS/SCI-cleared from DoD, you still will need TS from the Feds.

Comment

• LBJfan4life
                LBJfan4life commented
                Editing a comment
                You clearly must be new to the government. They are not hiring the best of the best. I know personally.

LBJfan4life "They are not hiring the best of the best. I know personally." Is it because they lack funding? If you know something personally, I would love to hear if you can kindly share.

Comment

So you didn’t get hired. Stop whining and go apply elsewhere. They didn’t want you.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• salsaeed19
                  salsaeed19 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did apply elsewhere too. I am here just to find out more.

Just apply elsewhere. You are being compared to other candidate profiles while you are going through the process. If you had a speeding ticket and the other guy didn't, well you're out. You stated you're also currently a LEO? If you are uniformed that may or may not have hurt your chances. Sometimes they aren't looking for uniformed officers to fill an 1811 role.

If you want my honest opinion, I'll say your writing skills could use improving. After reading the initial post, I noticed it is riddled with errors.
                Last edited by Levithane; 01-20-2019, 10:36 PM. Reason: Added more content.

Comment

• salsaeed19
                  salsaeed19 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the feedback. Yes, you are right about my English writing skills. It is my fourth language lol

I worked with some of the FLOTUS agents for a detail and I have to say they are some of the most professional and down to earth people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. On the flip side of that same coin they will be the first to tell you that they are beaten down and the upper management of USSS makes the job unbearable most of the time but a lot of these guys and gals have been with the agency 10+ years and don’t want to jump yet in hopes that the toxic culture culture management creates gets better.

Sorry you were removed from the process but look at it’s a blessing. There is a reason many agents jump to other 1811 gigs.

Comment

• salsaeed19
                  salsaeed19 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are right about their professionalism and humbleness. This is exactly what I have observed too. This is one reason why it attracted me so much. I have been told before that there will be no family life and there is a lot of work. I am single, and no kids, so family life is not an issue at the moment. And I am already exposed to working a lot of hours with my current agency.

Thank you for the feedback!

Consider yourself fortunate. That agency has massive turnover and morale issues. If you have a family or want to start a family, stay clear of them.

Comment

• salsaeed19
                  salsaeed19 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the feedback!

Has anyone else gotten a update? I was referred and I’ve scheduled my test.

Comment

• WilliamB275
                  WilliamB275 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't, my app still says being reviewed. Hoping to get referred though.

Having given them 6 years of my life. I could not leave the agency fast enough. Not to say it didn't have it's upside, some good training and opportunities. But campaign cycles stretched to 18 months before the election! Ridiculous

There is another Exodus occuring now, before this next campaign starts up which further exacerbates manpower issues. It was a great agency a decade ago, now i's just trying to survive.

About 1/3 of SA's are eligible to retire, I expect them to pop smoke before Campaign Ops get crazy. Good luck to those that want to jump on the sinking ship. HSI will need to take up the slack.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11645 users online. 471 members and 11174 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X