300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    I’ll just point out the average timeline to get hired is a year, so...what are you going to do? You aren’t just walk8ng into a new cop job in a week.
    And in some places, like NY a year would be fast. I waited 2 1/2 years. Some guys I know waited 3-4. Outside of NYC, most places only give a test every 3-4 years. I think a few other states are just as slow, like Massachusetts and New Jersey. A few states in the northeast have strict residency restrictions to compete with as well.

On the plus side, a lot of cops do pretty well here. And speaking for NY specifically, our pension system is in good shape.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
      Any FEDS here "fed" up with the federal gov't and considering a local or state agency? I personally am done working for the federal gov't. I am sick and tired of dealing with a shutdown every other month and the headaches that it brings. Also, FERS is garbage. There are local and state agencies (depends on the state/location) that have better pension and benefit plans than FERS. Yes, some states pensions are severely underfunded but I will stay away from those places.
      States have their own issues as well. Recessions affect some states more than others, especially ones that go on hiring sprees during economic boom times. Also some states have furloughed state employees in the past as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        One of my favorite movie lines of all time, from No Country for Old Men:

"It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?"

"If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here."

Well, it's definitely a mess right now in the G, ain't it? No paycheck this week and no paycheck for the foreseeable future. Go to any of the news sites that report on the inner workings in DC (Wash Post, Politico, TheHill, etc) and they are all reporting NO PROGESS is expected for sometime. Both sides are dug in like a chigger on a blue tick hound. Will it take a plane dropping from the sky (God forbid) due to no FAA inspections before the impasse breaks?? A prison riot (God forbid) at a FCI when staff start walking? We are on a rudderless ship right now entering uncharted waters with darkening clouds on the horizon and no one knows where things are headed.

Yes everyone will eventually get back-paid but a fat check for seven months work may be too late for those people who got evicted, lost their house, lost a car. People have living expenses and existing loans and living off credit cards for months isn't sustainable. And this endless limbo of having to work while not getting paid is, in a twisted way, almost worse than getting laid off. At least when you're laid off, you can file for six months of unemployment benefits and start job searching. This is more like a purgatory- someday things may improve. Someday.

If you're 30 and under, jumping to a state or local department may be a viable option. Not that anything is guaranteed in life though, other than death and taxes. State and locals will have big hiring swings, then a recession hits, and suddenly mass layoffs occur. The only secure job I'm told that pays well and is in high demand is computer coding and I'd rather give myself a lobotomy.

It's the people who've got 10 years on, or fifteen years on who are trapped. Walking away from a federal agency and starting with a new department at 40 years old with a family and mortgage is a huge gamble. The longer this goes on, the more people will be willing to roll the dice instead of hoping and praying for cooler heads to prevail. I suspect the more likely outcome will be mid-career transitions to the private sector, given the 3.9% unemployment rate.

So tens of thousands will continue to hope that resolution is right around the corner, but like the old yarn goes- you can hope in one hand and poop in the other- see which one fills up first.

I'd say 'get used to the punches', but if you've ever been popped really hard in the nose, like where you start tearing up and your brain hurts, then you know it's not something you can get used to. So the best thing is to prepare for the worst, expect the worst, be happy when times are good, and always have a bug-out plan, as in something else you can do to make ends meet if you ever have to bug-out....
        Good luck getting a coding job after age 40.

Comment

• Albrey
          Albrey commented
          Editing a comment
          Spoken like a true LE sage. For some reason, that actually does make me feel better.

Any FEDS here "fed" up with the federal gov't and considering a local or state agency? I personally am done working for the federal gov't. I am sick and tired of dealing with a shutdown every other month and the headaches that it brings. Also, FERS is garbage. There are local and state agencies (depends on the state/location) that have better pension and benefit plans than FERS. Yes, some states pensions are severely underfunded but I will stay away from those places.
        Those with the fancy pensions are usually underfunded. Others have high upfront costs for the employee such as 8% contribution from employee's paycheck each pay period. Those fancy pensions with high upfront costs tend to be funded better.

Comment

Not a chance.... A few local LE Agencies may pay better, some may pay around the same but the majority pay much less. I’m five years out from being eligible and make well into 6 figures.

Most Fed LEOs that are considering a change probably fit one or both of the following...
          1 - New to the agency (less than 5 years)
          2 - Occupy one of the lower paying Fed “LEO” positions like BOP, or the 0083 series.

If you are a GS 12 or 13 with premium pay (LEAP, AUO) you ain’t going anywhere.
          Last edited by Exbpa340; 01-14-2019, 10:09 PM.
          “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
          DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Has anyone been rejected out of the blue during any federal law enforcement applications that they suspect might be due to the shutdown?
            I was notified during my "conditional appointment" that "if funds for my position had been terminated, that my offer would be withdrawn." I just got shut down and they said "it was due to SO MANY 'more qualified candidates," I am already a "contract fed" and is EXTREMELY unlikely that it was due to the reason they gave. After an already 9 month background investigation, this was quite a disappointment. After previously receiving the notice that my "appointment would be a conditional appointment based on available funding" I was shocked to see I was rejected. I am not doubting that I could have been rejected for cause, it's just that the senior "background investigator" did my last interview while telling me "he was NOT getting paid" it made me wonder.
            Has anyone else had their employment process terminated during this shutdown that they feel might be suspicious toward the shutdown?

Comment

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              Just apply elsewhere. Serious, you will find there is no rhyme or reason to hiring Federal Law Enforcement Hiring processes. You could be rejected because you tie your left shoe before your right shoe, or the person interviewing you can't envision himself going on lunch break with you.

hangman I know we've spoke a bunch in the past in PMs

The lower calculation for FERs is still pretty good considering youre calculation will be on a 12 step something as FLEO, pretty much minimum. If you opt to stay in a GS 7 or 8 job like BOP, 0083, etc, then that is on the person. Every FLEO should be at least a 12 or 13 by the time they retire. Again, that's not hating on someone who has a passion for their 0083 DoD job and are satisfied as a 7/10 at retirement, but then that was their choice to stay at that pay level. Besides, as you know, the southeast sure as hell isn't paying any better. ****, the Assistant Chief for Raleigh PD, one of the best and biggest cities in the southeast, makes 55K on the pay chart.

The shutdown isnt a big deal, let's be honest. Don't be the employees on CNN and FOX and on WaPo talking about they can't pay their bills, before they even missed a paycheck.

If youre dissatisfied with the job itself, well then thats a super valid reason to want to leave. But if that's the case, make that the reason, not blaming it on a missed paycheck or two every 3-5 years.

I know we both were talking about getting to a specific state and going local to do it. I'm fed up with my assignment now just due to location and knowing it will be a long time before I can get to where we both want to be. But at the same time, I don't want to **** away my time, and I'm still a new guy by years in by many FLEOs' standards. I fantasize all the time about just resigning and going home and pursuing an old business venture, but at the end of the day, I enjoy my job, I get paid very well (especially considering my lack of education), and I can walk away at young age with a fat retirement and SSS and never have to work again if I want. If you're not happy, start applying to other agencies. Right now, there are multiple 0083 for DoD police in our state, and they pay the same as any of the local PDs.
            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

The shutdown isnt a big deal, let's be honest. Don't be the employees on CNN and FOX and on WaPo talking about they can't pay their bills, before they even missed a paycheck.

If youre dissatisfied with the job itself, well then thats a super valid reason to want to leave. But if that's the case, make that the reason, not blaming it on a missed paycheck or two every 3-5 years.
              I submit it is a big deal. Especially to the tens of thousands of employees who live in big cities and aren't double digits on the GS pay scale.

People should be paid timely for their work. It's that simple.

And there's more depth to the issue than just missing a paycheck or two every 3-5 years. It has to do with the powerlessness of having no voice in the matter and the indignancy of being used as human leverage in a political showdown.....
              One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                > It has to do with the powerlessness of having no voice in the matter and the indignancy of being used as human leverage in a political showdown.....

I mean sure but that goes a lot further than federal employees. There are tens or hundreds of thousands of other people who lives are directly affected by a shutdown that arent federal employees.

And in case you weren't aware of the level of disdain held for public servants.....

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-long-shutdown

Comment

I mean, there is a little merit to that article. There are a lot of wasteful jobs and positions in the government. Not saying I agree 100%.... and I really don't know of many fed workers ready to jump ship. When I was local LE, most dreamed of a fed job. But you know what they say, grass is greener on the other side.

Comment

There are a lot of wasteful jobs and positions in the government.
                  I'm not disagreeing that large bureaucracies have lots of bureaucrats and sometimes it's hard to tell what exactly they accomplish. Or that accountability is universally expected.

But to support a wholly cynical and dismissive position, broadly contemptive of the rank and file who committed their careers to protecting the country? I defer...

The writer claims that a majority of federal workers “do nothing that warrants punishment and nothing of external value.”

“That is their workday: errands for the sake of errands — administering, refining, following and collaborating on process,” the op-ed reads.

Comment

Yeah I saw that, def don't agree with that dribble. Plus is that person really expecting to get rid of 80% of the jobs and put all that work back on the employees? That would be one hell of a salary you'd never get to spend since you'd live at your job.

I always knew this was a thankless job.

Comment

The bottom line, or least the gist of this thread, is this question: is the federal government a viable employer?

Good question.

Comment

It seems like that used to be an emphatic "yes" but times are a changing. I think one has to weigh the options personally on a case by case basis of the recent uncertainty of immediate pay, time away from home (if that's a factor), and the possibility of relocation against the benefits (healthcare plan & leave policy) and pension. For me, it is still a yes.

Comment

Today is Day 31 of the shutdown. We'll see if your opinion changes on Day 61 of the shutdown. Or Day 91.

Also, note how this isn't really a shutdown? National parks are open (albeit covered in trash and feces). The IRS is requiring 50,000 employees to return to work so no one misses their tax refund. And even though the administrative people are sitting at home, the people who stand watch are still standing watch. It's just that no one is getting duly compensated for their efforts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8941 users online. 268 members and 8673 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X