300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEDS looking for local/state LE jobs

Any FEDS here "fed" up with the federal gov't and considering a local or state agency? I personally am done working for the federal gov't. I am sick and tired of dealing with a shutdown every other month and the headaches that it brings. Also, FERS is garbage. There are local and state agencies (depends on the state/location) that have better pension and benefit plans than FERS. Yes, some states pensions are severely underfunded but I will stay away from those places.

What agency are you from?

Comment

Yes and I plan to move on. FERS is definitely not the best and if it was something other than that, I would not consider leaving. You’re just a number to the federal government. If don’t come into work, there’s always someone there to replace you.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
        scotty_appleton814 commented
        Editing a comment
        You will also be a number to the state and locals too. There are always 100 people lining up to take your job. Just remember that buddy.

• Etoolqual
        Etoolqual commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure thing, pal.

One of my favorite movie lines of all time, from No Country for Old Men:

"It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?"

"If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here."

Well, it's definitely a mess right now in the G, ain't it? No paycheck this week and no paycheck for the foreseeable future. Go to any of the news sites that report on the inner workings in DC (Wash Post, Politico, TheHill, etc) and they are all reporting NO PROGESS is expected for sometime. Both sides are dug in like a chigger on a blue tick hound. Will it take a plane dropping from the sky (God forbid) due to no FAA inspections before the impasse breaks?? A prison riot (God forbid) at a FCI when staff start walking? We are on a rudderless ship right now entering uncharted waters with darkening clouds on the horizon and no one knows where things are headed.

Yes everyone will eventually get back-paid but a fat check for seven months work may be too late for those people who got evicted, lost their house, lost a car. People have living expenses and existing loans and living off credit cards for months isn't sustainable. And this endless limbo of having to work while not getting paid is, in a twisted way, almost worse than getting laid off. At least when you're laid off, you can file for six months of unemployment benefits and start job searching. This is more like a purgatory- someday things may improve. Someday.

If you're 30 and under, jumping to a state or local department may be a viable option. Not that anything is guaranteed in life though, other than death and taxes. State and locals will have big hiring swings, then a recession hits, and suddenly mass layoffs occur. The only secure job I'm told that pays well and is in high demand is computer coding and I'd rather give myself a lobotomy.

It's the people who've got 10 years on, or fifteen years on who are trapped. Walking away from a federal agency and starting with a new department at 40 years old with a family and mortgage is a huge gamble. The longer this goes on, the more people will be willing to roll the dice instead of hoping and praying for cooler heads to prevail. I suspect the more likely outcome will be mid-career transitions to the private sector, given the 3.9% unemployment rate.

So tens of thousands will continue to hope that resolution is right around the corner, but like the old yarn goes- you can hope in one hand and poop in the other- see which one fills up first.

I'd say 'get used to the punches', but if you've ever been popped really hard in the nose, like where you start tearing up and your brain hurts, then you know it's not something you can get used to. So the best thing is to prepare for the worst, expect the worst, be happy when times are good, and always have a bug-out plan, as in something else you can do to make ends meet if you ever have to bug-out....

Last edited by Ratatatat; 01-14-2019, 10:12 AM.
      What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

13 years I'm not going anywhere..lol

Comment

I left after 17 years.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I’ll just point out the average timeline to get hired is a year, so...what are you going to do? You aren’t just walk8ng into a new cop job in a week.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            I’ll just point out the average timeline to get hired is a year, so...what are you going to do? You aren’t just walk8ng into a new cop job in a week.
            Exactly

I'm a fed LEO in California and have been working without pay. CA EED just announced that feds who are working without pay are eligibile for unemployment benefits, this hasn't been the case in recent years. I just got off the phone with EED and submitted my application. Obviously it won't match my regular salary but it'll pay some bills.

I think to some (myself included) is that we know this probably won't be the last shutdown under the current president and congress. And the threat of even more paychecks in the future being delayed is worrisome. A deal will eventually be made and the government will re-open. But what about funding for the next fiscal year which starts October 1? Debt ceiling? I think it's the constant threat of a shutdown that will cause those to leave. I know some LEOs who have already taken on second jobs at the local college teaching classes for a term, they were lucky as there were slots to fill.

Comment

Why are Fed LEOs working without pay? I thought they were considered essential workers and weren’t affected by the shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post
                Why are Fed LEOs working without pay? I thought they were considered essential workers and weren’t affected by the shutdown.
                If the agency/department is shutdown (aka no passed budget) then nobody gets a paycheck. Doesn't matter if you are essential or sitting at home.

Comment

Essential just means you have to keep working, albeit without pay.
                  Others are on furlough, so they are not working and not getting paid. (sitting at home)
                  But as wildlife97 said above, it kind of depends on your agency.
                  www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post

Essential just means you have to keep working, albeit without pay.
                    Others are on furlough, so they are not working and not getting paid. (sitting at home)
                    But as wildlife97 said above, it kind of depends on your agency.
                    So FBI, DEA, ATF, Secret Service 1811s are all working without pay?

Comment

Yes, as well as any other federal employee deemed essential (i.e., air traffic controllers).

Comment

That's correct, among others.
                        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

I'm going to put on my resume, volunteer for the US Government

But back to the topic of this thread. A few guys from my agency are trying to leave. One guy wants to go back home to FL. I went and got certified down there a few years ago as I wanted to leave the feds too back then, but then decided against it. Depending on where you do down there retirement systems aren't bad and its not hard to put yourself through a certification class. Any other states like this I would be curious about myself as I'm right on that cusp of being to late to leave the feds.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6362 users online. 261 members and 6101 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X