300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI...Passed Phase I..on to Phase II

I turned in my online app, got selected to test, tested and subsequently passed the test in a period of 5 weeks (tested 4/10). Does anyone know if the FBI is budgeted to hire new agents this year? Prior to the test, I was told that they were OK'd to hire agents this fiscal year (ending Sep 30), but since then I've heard that they have put a hiring freeze on until after the start of Fiscal Year '08. Anyone heard or know anything different?

As you know or will learn shortly, things also change when it comes to hiring by the federal government. I passed Phase I back in October, 2006 and have been in contact with my local office. I was told that they would continue to schedule phase II testing but only for the critical skills for hrt, language, and intelligence. Depending on your critical skill(s) will make a big difference if you are contacted for phase II. Good luck.

Comment

That doesn't bode well for me then, because I'm trying to get in under the 'general' category, or whatever they call it. I spent 2 years waiting around for the Secret Service and all I ended up with was a 1 paragraph letter saying, 'thanks, but no thanks.' I'm all too familiar with the waiting game that the fed. gov. plays.

Comment

I meet with the FBI recruiter recently and he informed me that they are hiring something like 800 people in the next 12-18 months. That included analyst etc but a very high number of agents are included. But he also said that there are something like 50,000 application a year too. So not sure how all the math works.

Comment

No Way

Do not let the recruiters misguide you. They may get 50,000 applications but how many finish the paperwork, background, physical and so on.... We in the law enforcement community are hurting everywhere. I heard that the recruiters cant get enough QUALIFIED applicants to fill enough positions anywhere. Well any way good luck in your process. Remember its a number game.

Comment

I applied back in March, got the letter for Phase I a couple of weeks ago. I am taking the test May 16. Hopefully with my LE experience and master's degree I can get somewhere in the process.

Comment

Well most of the fed agencies are having some lean times with regard to budgets. A lot of money was spent on LE agencies, to include hiring new bodies, in the years right after 9/11/01. So right now most agencies have slowed down hiring, often having a hiatus between putting new agents into training.

My advice is to apply to every fed agency you are interested in that has openings, and don't limit yourself just to one at a time. That increases your chances of getting a fed job, getting in before you get too old, and getting more years toward retirement.

I had a friend who applied to USPIS and got rejected, then Customs (now ICE) and got rejected, then FBI and was doing well in the process with them. The problem was he only had one active app at a time, and as you know that could mean years between submitting apps. He was in the middle of the process with FBI when time ran out because he reached his 37th birthday.

Contrast that with another friend who had apps in with Postal, FBI, DEA, ATF, ICE, NCIS, AFOSI, a few OIGs, and probably some others he didn't tell me about. He got rejected by a couple and kept chugging along with the others. He took the first job offered, and pulled his apps with everyone else, except an OIG he was really interested in, and FBI. Eventually he turned down job offers from the remaining two, but at least he got in before his 37th birthday, and had options.

When it came time for me start applying I took the same approach, I applied to every 1811 job that interested me. There is no downside to applying to multiple agencies, and it increases your odds of success.

Comment

FBI Phase I test

I apologize if this question has been answered ad naseum but I canouldn't find what I was looking for. I applied to the FBI two months ago and after not hearing anything I called the field office. The nice FBI lady that answered said, "oh yes, we have your info...can you test on 30 Jan?" That is only 6 days away (counting today). I'm not looking for specific questions that were asked (I know thats a big no-no) but since there is no time to get a study guide can anyone answer if there is math on the phase I test? In the past there was but I have heard through our Spec Agents here at ICE that they've done away with that. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Thanks..that was a quick response. Good luck with the rest of your process.

Comment

Just curious, but did you apply under one of their listed "preferred categories" (like IT background, tactical training or languages)?

Comment

I applied through the fbijobs.com posting for both the SA position and the HRT. No special skills as far as IT or language. I did time in the active duty army infantry and am currently working for Homeland Security.

If you applied and haven't heard I strongly recommend you give your local FBI Field office a call. The HRT recruiter told me he referred me to my local office for the Phase I test but I never heard from them. After standing-by for a few more weeks I called just to see what the status of my application was. The nice lady at the field office said "oh yes, here's your information right here. Can you make it here in 5 days to take the test"?

Not sure if my eagerness to test is going to result in a self inflicted wound, but I said "sure". If its truely a test you can't study for then time shouldn't matter.

Best of luck to all.

Comment

Phase I completed. No idea if I passed. This is me in a holding pattern.

Comment

So, I submitted the online SA application yesterday... am I supposed to do anything else at this point other than wait to hear back?

Comment

Originally posted by LawDog99 View Post
                            So, I submitted the online SA application yesterday... am I supposed to do anything else at this point other than wait to hear back?
                            ahhhhh NO! You just keep waiting. That's the sucky part right there. The G is so slow it's crazy. I think the fastest hiring blitz I've seen was w/ the USSS last year, they were picking people up in like 6 months! But, just keep waiting and be patient.

Comment

I took Phase 1 a couple years ago and passed. That was about it. The recruiter basically told me LE guys were a dime a dozen regarding candidates. They're looking for people in finance and linguistics. Don't hold your breath coppers...or veterans for that matter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3334 users online. 144 members and 3190 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X