X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hangman
    started a topic FLETC vs State/Local Academy

FLETC vs State/Local Academy

For those of you who have gone to both, which one do you think was better in terms of instructors, instruction, and overall experience?

• hangman
    replied
    What if you have sleep problems to begin with and your roommate is making them worse?

Leave a comment:

• ACO88
    commented on 's reply
    lol I knew you couldn't choose. That isn't exactly what I meant.
    Last edited by ACO88; 03-02-2019, 04:34 PM.

• Mf821
    commented on 's reply
    Hahaha. No, you don't get to choose solo or roommate, it's all based upon how many people are going through FLETC at a time. Sometimes you get lucky and get a solo room because a lull in fed hiring, most times FLETC is packed.

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Can it also be a reasonable accommodation request?
    Like what? "I really value having down time for myself, and this roommate situation is harshing my mellow", or "My roommate does something to himself in the middle of the night that I find abhorrent, so therefore I request a solo room." You'd be laughed at.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    How does someone get a solo room?
    Total roll of the dice. Some people get a room to themselves; some get a roomie.

If you do get a roomie, there's nothing that can be done to change it.

However, people sometimes come up with creative solutions....

Leave a comment:

• ACO88
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

Depends on age and condition. Is it that hard? Not if your 26 and have been running five miles a day since high school. But every class I've been in has had it's share of trainees who were older, more sedentary, and they were constantly wrapping their knees, slathering on the Icy Hot, and eating Aleve...

Depends on perspective. If it's your one and only long academy, then you are motivated to be there and a sponge soaking up the experience. If you've been to multiple long academies throughout your career, then your just nodding your head and going through the motions...

Depends on BS tolerance. If you get a solo room and have no problem standing in line at the chow hall day after day, you'll have not a worry. But spend 17 weeks with a roomie when you're a grown adult and the little indignancies can begin to become big indignancies. Like the constant foul smell in the locker room of people evacuating their bowels of the same diet, day after day. At first it's a little unpleasant, but as time goes on, it becomes like Chinese water torture....
    How does someone get a solo room?
    Last edited by ACO88; 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Originally posted by ACO88 View Post
    • Complete an arduous 17-week law enforcement training course at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA
    This is referring to LMPT from a DOI website. Do you agree?

Depends on age and condition. Is it that hard? Not if your 26 and have been running five miles a day since high school. But every class I've been in has had it's share of trainees who were older, more sedentary, and they were constantly wrapping their knees, slathering on the Icy Hot, and eating Aleve...

Depends on perspective. If it's your one and only long academy, then you are motivated to be there and a sponge soaking up the experience. If you've been to multiple long academies throughout your career, then your just nodding your head and going through the motions...

Depends on BS tolerance. If you get a solo room and have no problem standing in line at the chow hall day after day, you'll have not a worry. But spend 17 weeks with a roomie when you're a grown adult and the little indignancies can begin to become big indignancies. Like the constant foul smell in the locker room of people evacuating their bowels of the same diet, day after day. At first it's a little unpleasant, but as time goes on, it becomes like Chinese water torture....
    Last edited by Ratatatat; 03-02-2019, 02:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ACO88
    replied
    • Complete an arduous 17-week law enforcement training course at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA
    This is referring to LMPT from a DOI website. Do you agree its arduous?
    Last edited by ACO88; 03-02-2019, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    commented on 's reply
    I don't know where you get your information from but it is in correct. Not all agencies "pay for police recruits to attend training", the majority of the nation's departments require certification up front

• ushomefree
    commented on 's reply
    All police agencies across the board pay new recruits to attend police academies. It is the law. I get a strong impression, that you may be referring to community colleges that offer police certifications--and yes, you will pay out of pocket.

• ushomefree
    commented on 's reply
    This is true for the most part. However, keep in mind that, with few exceptions, government law enforcement agencies typically hire persons with 5, 10, to 15 years law enforcement experience, having already graduated additionally from an accredited police academy (honored by their state training commission). For such persons, FLETC is merely a refresher course for another jurisdiction.
    Last edited by ushomefree; 02-21-2019, 12:33 AM.

• Mf821
    replied
    I've been to a state academy and I'm at FLETC currently. I'd give the edge to FLETC. It's run like a swiss watch.

Leave a comment:

• Autorotate
    commented on 's reply
    I imagine it has to do with cost savings. I am not exactly sure what their training consists of but they have mock check points and working X-ray machines. Its probably easy to send them to an existing DHS facility that has the infrastructure to support them, than create a new location. It also likely allows the TSA to ensure they have a level of standardization to their training program.

• N.N.
    commented on 's reply
    How does it even make sense to send non-LEOs to a Law Enforcement academy of any kind, for any length? No offense to any current employees, but there’s nothing a typical TSO does that can’t easily be learned on the job. It’d be like sending unarmed security guards to an academy. Seems like a waste of Govt. dollars.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7631 users online. 274 members and 7357 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X