300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLETC vs State/Local Academy

For those of you who have gone to both, which one do you think was better in terms of instructors, instruction, and overall experience?

FLETC isn't just one generic academy though. Each agency has it's own policy and procedure so say US Capital Police and USSS Uniform Divison could have completely different academies.

I went to a state corrections academy and the BOP "academy". I would say the firearms part was better in the BOP, especially the range itself. Everything else as better in the state.

Comment

Glynco: the maid makes your bed every morning
      Local: the dogbreath tac officer makes you feel an inch tall every morning

Glynco: instructors are largely fulltime instructors
      Local: instructors are largely fulltime officers

Gynco: like college.Train hard. Study hard. Party hard and have some fun
      Local: not like college. Train hard. Study hard. Have no fun

Glynco: chow hall has Olympic pool size salad bar. Pizza night. Steak night. Ice cream machine
      Local: chow hall has a lettuce bowl. One entrée menu. Mash potatoes every meal

Glynco: felony stops on driving range with fleet of crown vics
      Local: felony stops in parking lot in front of academy with loaner cruiser and a student car

Glynco: shoot shoot shoot there's plenty more ammo
      Local: pick up all the live rounds off the floor we reuse those

Glynco: the written tests are multiple guess
      Local: write the legal definition of probable cause in six paragraphs

Glynco: sorry about the sand fleas and red ants
      Local: sorry about all the broken equipment

Glynco: Congratulations. You'll probably be back here for another academy.
      Local: Congratulations. You'll never be back here for another academy.
      The only people who know where the edge is are the ones who've gone over it.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• brownj21
        brownj21 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is pretty much spot on!

• ushomefree
        ushomefree commented
        Editing a comment
        This is true for the most part. However, keep in mind that, with few exceptions, government law enforcement agencies typically hire persons with 5, 10, to 15 years law enforcement experience, having already graduated additionally from an accredited police academy (honored by their state training commission). For such persons, FLETC is merely a refresher course for another jurisdiction.
        Last edited by ushomefree; 02-21-2019, 12:33 AM.

I found above post so amusing haha

Comment

Another:

Glynco: we offer counseling and remedial training if you are having difficulty with the program.

Local: you better unfuq yourself very quickly if you wish to remain part of the program.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Glynco: You're paid to attend training

Local/State Academy (depending on state): this will be $5k plus you need to supply your own firearms and ammo. Also no guarantee of a job when you graduate
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• ushomefree
            ushomefree commented
            Editing a comment
            All police agencies across the board pay new recruits to attend police academies. It is the law. I get a strong impression, that you may be referring to community colleges that offer police certifications--and yes, you will pay out of pocket.

• orlandofed5-0
            orlandofed5-0 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know where you get your information from but it is in correct. Not all agencies "pay for police recruits to attend training", the majority of the nation's departments require certification up front

Local: 16 weeks of being in a fishbowl- every action is scrutinized.

Glynco: 16 weeks of five dollar pitchers at the G bar- every Thursday night!

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Artesia > Glynco. Having Border Patrol instructors for a majority of our academy & coursework made for... interesting learning environments

Comment

Glynco: more role players than the cast of West World

Local: speeding motorist/domestic couple/suicidal person/gang member/CSC suspect/etc. are played by classmates

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Glynco: instructors won't remember your name
                Local: instructors won't stop yelling your name

Glynco: own room with cable tv and toilet (not always but usually)
                Local: meet your new bunkies

Local: graduation day means honor guard, bagpipes, fathers pinning on badges, lots of pride and pomp
                Glynco: here's your certificate now don't look in the rearview mirror as you exit the gate

Local: instructors frequently say inspirational catchphrases like, "pressure is what turns coal into diamonds"
                Glynco: instructors frequently say inspirational catchphrases like, "just play the game here"

Local: we strongly advise you don't have romantic encounters with classmates. it never ends well
                Glynco: we strongly advise you don't have romantic encounters with locals. the HIV rates are high

Glynco: for PT today we're going to ride Pelotons
                Local: for PT today we're going to run wind sprints

Glynco: certain stink of men's locker room that you'll never forget
                Local: certain stink of tac officer in your face that you'll never forget

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Well said!
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The two are not the same. You can’t attend a Federal Academy and just walk into a local police job (depending on the State). Some local Academies rival the best funded Federal Agencies.

the above listings cove most everything else.
                    semper destravit

Comment

Some local Academies rival the best funded Federal Agencies.
                      I don't doubt that. But like anything in life, experiences can vary greatly...

I've been through two local ones. One was at a community college, and the other was at a regional training center. The community college (self-paid) truly was bare bones. Local officers and deputies were the instructors, and I remember hearing them frequently gush about how much they loved having a second job that paid $20 an hour. The legal classes were taught by a local defense attorney, also overjoyed about having a side hustle. Vehicle stops were practiced in the student parking lot using student cars. Everyone had to buy their own guns and ammo and uniforms and books and lunches. People played hacky sack in the hall between classes. It was like summer camp at a camp where even the candy bars weren't provided without another charge.

The regional one was a bit more flush, but marginally. Basic materials were provided, and a prison-style chow line did feed us. There were a couple of old cruisers in the parking lot and a full size gym and mat room. Classmates still switched good guy/bad guy roles during practical exercises and instructors were mostly on loan for a year from local departments.

Now contrast both of those to Glynco. where you can eat walnut maple ice cream from your dorm toilet thanks to the daily maid service, where they pay role players to get drunk so trainees can practice field sobriety tests on an actual drunk person, where there's a separate recreation department to make sure student morale stays high, well, there's no comparison....

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• RGDS
                        RGDS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We had a “wet lab” once....

And now we don’t. One of the greatest ideas the “good idea fairy” ever introduced.

State and local is really a crap shoot depending on who runs (funds) the academy. Most do the best they can with what they have and do a good job.
                      Federal/FLETC is really a different animal, as mentioned above it is closer to college than the military.
                      But I will say this, State/local has one major advantage over Glynco, no TSA making the chow line like the rides at Disney. Having been to Artesia and Glynco, I'll go back to Artesia any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Saw_Gunner View Post
                        State and local is really a crap shoot depending on who runs (funds) the academy. Most do the best they can with what they have and do a good job.
                        Federal/FLETC is really a different animal, as mentioned above it is closer to college than the military.
                        But I will say this, State/local has one major advantage over Glynco, no TSA making the chow line like the rides at Disney. Having been to Artesia and Glynco, I'll go back to Artesia any day.
                        It was amazing last year after the hurricane and TSA didn't come back for weeks. No lines for food and a lot less stupidity on campus. I hated how for TSA Glynco was like a paid vacation essentially and they acted as such.

Comment

• N.N.
                          N.N. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How does it even make sense to send non-LEOs to a Law Enforcement academy of any kind, for any length? No offense to any current employees, but there’s nothing a typical TSO does that can’t easily be learned on the job. It’d be like sending unarmed security guards to an academy. Seems like a waste of Govt. dollars.

• Autorotate
                          Autorotate commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I imagine it has to do with cost savings. I am not exactly sure what their training consists of but they have mock check points and working X-ray machines. Its probably easy to send them to an existing DHS facility that has the infrastructure to support them, than create a new location. It also likely allows the TSA to ensure they have a level of standardization to their training program.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8150 users online. 351 members and 7799 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X