Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did any one here become FBI, DEA or ATF without LE, military or Govt experience?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did any one here become FBI, DEA or ATF without LE, military or Govt experience?

Did any one here become FBI, DEA or ATF without LE, military or Govt experience?

I am, by no means, an authority on this subject. That being said, the whole veteran's preference thing we score for our time in the military definitely puts us in an advantageous category. I have, however, seen multiple agencies post openings where certain categories do not count toward hiring consideration. It is reasonable to assume that employment for a couple years in another law enforcement branch could give you a leg up. That's what DHS is for!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post
      I've worked cases with FBI agents who haven't seen a day of law enforcement, military or other government experience outside of their FBI experience. In particular, the FBI's computer guys/gals often applied or were recruited right out of college. Same could be said for their white collar guys. Many of them came from the private sector.

Comment

I personally know and work with 3 DEA agents that got hired with only a BA degree

Comment

Bottom line...Agents of all of the above agencies have diverse backgrounds. Some LE experience others w/o.

Comment

Instead of making an overly broad thread, broadly asking for advice if you have a shot or not, post a general overview of YOUR background. Obviously don't post any personal information. Numerous posters on here are experienced officers, agents, administrators, and have more than likely been on a panel. They will give you an honest opinion and tell you where you can improve.

To answer your question. There are many people who become agents with absolutely zero background in military, and LE. In fact a after having glanced over very many threads in this forum, prior military and LE are sometimes not what an agency/department is looking for (I mean no disrespect). I have looked through majority of the DSS thread and that seemed like a common theme. Put in an app and let the pieces fall where they may.

Comment

It all depends on how an agency is set up to hire with OPM. With some agencies the Vet Pref is considered given when vets are given the opportunity to apply (a lot of competitive service positions). Vet pref provides the opportunity to apply up to a GS-11 position in the competitive service. Other agencies are set up to have vet only announcements etc. It is all agency dependent on what kind of hiring approval they received from their headquarters in conjunction with OPM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10576 users online. 449 members and 10127 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X