Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service UD vs. Capitol Police - Which is better?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Service UD vs. Capitol Police - Which is better?

Hey guys, so I'm at the same point in the process for both USSS UD and Capitol Police... Passed all interviews, poly.... Background checks are in process for both divisions currently.... I'm basically just waiting on "the call".

Honestly, I think I'm going to do the "smart thing" and just accept whoever calls me first.

But just out of curiosity... Which is the better agency? In 5 years, where would I be happier? Making more money? Where could I best progress in my career (within the agency)?

A little about me... I'm single, no kids... I'm VERY open to travelling (I also travel with my current job)... And I dont mind boring jobs (like guarding a door) at all...

Anyways, cant wait to join you guys in federal law enforcement... It really is a dream come true (if I do get the call). Appreciate all the help and advice several of you have offered me so far.

If you want to have an life outside of work go with US Capitol. But if you loveeee to work and have no personal time off of work go to Secret Service. You will travel alot with Secret Service.

Comment

How many times does Secret Service make you travel to DC?

Comment

• OrdiOrdi
        OrdiOrdi commented
        Editing a comment
        I havent travelled to DC for USSS yet... Ive done everything at my local field office... But I read in the USSS UD forum that some people have to go to DC for medical at the very end of the process.

For USCP I had to go to DC for 7 days or so... Cost me over $1000 so its pretty high risk if you are not local. I would highly recommend that you dont even attempt it if youre not very well qualified (unless you live in the area). There was like 150 of us and I felt like not many of us made it to the end...

UD = zero life outside of work. Forced OT , working days off , and travel.

Comment

I was in the process with UD, and a LEO buddy introduced me to a Secret Service SA who, in much more colorful words, told me to turn and run for the hills. I considered myself lucky to have the option of pursuing other avenues.

Comment

OrdiOrdi how long did it take you to hear back after you submitted your POBITS for USCP? I'm going on a month with no word.

Comment

• OrdiOrdi
            OrdiOrdi commented
            Editing a comment
            You were passed up by 30 agencies? That doesnt make any sense with your military experience... My only experience is military, nothing else.. and Ive gotten extremely far with every agency Ive applied to so far. Do you have a criminal history or dishonorably discharged or something? Maybe you should review how you are answering the questions on USAJOBS or review your resume... Did you put effort into your resume? I mean it sounds like you are getting shot down straight from the start... so it has to be one of those things I mentioned.

I literally know several people who are applying and getting into both cap police and USSS with ONLY college education... not even a degree.

I personally know someone who just got kicked out of FLETC for USSS UD with only an AA degree and like 6 months on with TSA.

Yea, you need to rethink your resume and the way you answer questions on USAJOBS.

• fsi1212
            fsi1212 commented
            Editing a comment
            OrdiOrdi I would say 95% of the no gos are from local agencies (so nothing to do with USAJobs). And I've applied to several police positions on USAJobs and only heard back from 3: CBP has been sitting on medical for 6 months (been in the process for 10 months), USSS straight up denied me about an hour after I applied (that one I actually think I may have clicked the wrong answer on a question), and obviously today USCP didnt invite me to test. I did submit my POBITS and spoke very briefly with the initial background investigator.

I was honorably discharged from active duty and still serve in the reserves today. I have zero criminal history, and only 1 ticket (red light camera which I paid). Theres literally nothing that would warrant an automatic disqualifier like it seems the majority of agencies have done.

Edit: Clarification. All the other agencies that I applied to on USAJobs I just got the generic thanks for applying email and never gotten any further correspondence.

• OrdiOrdi
            OrdiOrdi commented
            Editing a comment
            USCP flat out like told you that you are not invited? Maybe they will have you come into the next assessment... I mean when I went there was probably 200 people... and I swear like 70% of them looked like they weren't even close to qualified or taking it seriously at all... I have a feeling that they invite everyone unless you just put something completely stupid on your background paperwork to be an instant disqual.

You should apply to the USCP again... I met a few dudes who said they have applied more than once but couldnt pass the written test or fitness... things like that.

All I can say is you should probably try to apply for the federal jobs again... just try to pay attention to the applications and the background paperwork more closely because it sounds like youre getting instant-disqualified right away... also, look over your resume.

I also applied to be a border patrol agent back in the beginning of July...I wanted that job actually... but yea, literally havent heard a word since my structured interview back in August.... going on 4 months... I contacted them and they basically told everything is good, just keep waiting...

• fsi1212
            fsi1212 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea it was weird. I seemed to have passed the initial vetting checks. I filled out POBITS and the BI contacted me just for some clarification on some things which I provided. But about a month and a half or so later is when I got the email saying I dont meet the minimum requirements.

Pretty much the same job. Both are mostly force protection security and “police” in name only. Great ways to get into govt and to stop your clock. You’ll have more travel opportunities with SS UD, both a are good for a full career or a stepping stone to 1811 gig.

Comment

Do you want to sit in a booth or post at either end of Pennsylvania avenue?
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• Esco
              Esco commented
              Editing a comment
              Lololololol. Basically.

3d0cb8b711277026044d16fbdd0dd41111.jpg
            The only people who know where the edge is are the ones who've gone over it.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

To be fair, if you can get into Foreign Missions Branch of USSS-UD, rather than White House, you'll have more of a chance to be in a patrol assignment rather than being on a post
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

CP definitely, if I were you I would go with CP no question. Everyone is super chill compared to UD, good money better promotion and easy to move and transfer around. That would be my choice if I were you. I have personally applied for both and just took my poly last week.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7772 users online. 303 members and 7469 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X