300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Patrol or Baltimore City PD

Well just woundering what is there to lose, which one to choose from. What are the pros and cons who has a better Retirement and who has better benefits. Who should I choose, and why Im so undecided right now help me with some info.

Two completely different jobs. Really depends on if you wanna do police work or apprehend illegal border crossers. Also depends on which sh$thole you want to live in. Some border sh$thole or Baltimore. I personally would go live in a border sh$thole. Better pay. The FEDS will atleast kind of support you. In Baltimore you will be public enemy number 1. The people of Baltimore hunt you. The politicians hunt you. The administration will hunt you. Your basically volunteering to be a sacrificial lamb. I think anyone that works or lives in the sh$thole of Baltimore has a mental disorder. They should pull out and let that city destroy itself and start over.

Comment

• CRIVERA117
      CRIVERA117 commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like your a city cop. So a better Sh** Hole would be in the southern border. Like the way you explained this out. Policing is not what it use to be I was told to look for good benefits retirement and a Agency that can look out for you

• Kmiech
      Kmiech commented
      Editing a comment
      I was a city cop for a few years. I enjoyed my time, not all of it. I don’t regret working there at all. However, I would never and could never do 25 years as a city cop. No way. No how. I recently jumped to the feds and got a pay raise immediately. Will make more in the long run, can move around the country if I want, can work overseas if I want, and have the ability to move from agency to agency without messing up retirement, vacation, etc. I mean don’t turn down an LE job if you aren’t in one now. But know what you’re getting into, and plan for your future slash next move now.

Put in for both. Baltimore is desperate for officers. You can always do the academy and jump ship to Border patrol. Now, I know someone that when from Baltimore city to Annapolis Police. He told me he misses Baltimore City Police. Baltimore city police did a better job taking care of their officers. Too many politics in APD.

Comment

• CRIVERA117
      CRIVERA117 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I think Ill do that plus CBP takes a very long time to get back at you when in the process I just dont want to go from Junk to junker you know what I mean. Theres a lot of mix talk about border patrol is not worth it as to BPD has all these problems in the command staff and management is poor.

Is Border Patrol beter in pay and retierment. I was trying to look up there benefits but really cant find any info . I was told the SA’s in the city are a joke lock some one up and there right out. Baltimore also just voted for a pay raise and a shift change to 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off 8 hr shifts. I was looking foward for the 4 on 3 off. My canon is poiting to Border Patrol. I have allready passed BPDs and have a EOD. Im more interested in the long run retirement and good benefits and a decent pay. NYCooper hit the spot.

Comment

• 1RidgeRunner7
      1RidgeRunner7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to mention the same person I mentioned is in the process for CBP. He said he’s looking for Fed $. So there you go. Baltimore has good pay, but is it worth it?

I can’t speak to Baltimore pay and retirements but border patrol - you will top out as a GS-12 I believe making close to 100k a year and a 20 year “6c” type retirement plus Thirft savings plan match. Baltimore is definitely not making that money - cost of living is definitely more expensive - schools are among the worst in the nation - the citizens burn the city anytime the police actually do their jobs. The benefits of the feds is that they will keep printing money and your retirement is mostly guaranteed - where as Baltimore is a city run by one political party intent on running it into the ground. The city will inevitably bankrupt or burn. Have you not seen the news in the last two years. They are criminally charging cops purely to appease the people (which ultimately has ended in them all being acquitted). I’ve been a city cop and a state cop and I’m telling you I would seriously beg for money on the side of the interstate before I worked for that city. They are desperate for officers because it’s a sh$thole.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse but I can’t believe this is a real question. Unless you are looking for trouble - to be sued - to be on the news - incarcerated - or killed I think it’s an obvious choice.

Comment

You guys are awesome I appreciate your feed back.

Comment

Whoops, deleted.
          Last edited by CrabApple; 12-20-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• CRIVERA117
            CRIVERA117 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was offered GS-9. So question how do you do OT? If its comp time. What would be a ****y place Laredo TX, Arizona

• CrabApple
            CrabApple commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoops, deleted.
            Last edited by CrabApple; 12-20-2018, 05:37 PM.

Border Patrol 1000%

Comment

OP, what's your background? How old? Where do you be in ten years? Are you a military vet? All those will be factors to decide.

Comment

Don't let the money be the big decision factor. Either job will put a roof over your head and food on your table.

Focus more on quality of life and career options.

BPD: you will push a cruiser for 25 years in the same crime ridden neighborhoods. Since there are opportunities for advancement, perhaps at some point you'll promote to supervising other officers push cruisers in the same crime ridden neighborhoods.

BP: you will spend a few years eating dust and stepping on scorpions in a miserable nowhere outpost like Ajo Arizona. Then options will begin to open. You can transfer to a sleepy northern border post like Whitefish Montana and hunt mule deer and go fly fishing on your days off. Or you can slide into an 1811 slot with a dozen agencies fairly easily.

It all comes down to what floats your boat....

There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

CRIVERA117
              Hey bro, I would probably choose neither if I had any other options. BPD simply because of the litigation factor, beyond that I wouldn't be able to comment much more on the PD life since I never was or am one.

BP though. . . .so I've been with BP for about 12 years now. It has its good and its bad days. You will work with a lot of great guys, so you'll have that, but everyone here, it seems, is always looking for a way out.

As to what Ratatatat is saying: "
              you will spend a few years eating dust and stepping on scorpions in a miserable nowhere outpost like Ajo Arizona. Then options will begin to open. You can transfer to a sleepy northern border post like Whitefish Montana and hunt mule deer and go fly fishing on your days off. Or you can slide into an 1811 slot with a dozen agencies fairly easily. "

This really isn't the case in a number of ways. I would change "a few years" to "a LOT of years." For guys to transfer from a southern station to another southern station takes about 6 to 8 years. To get to the northern border, well that takes quite a lot longer. For the station in Whitefish think 18 to 20 years in. It's largely composed of BORTAC guys that have all hooked each other up. They're all bored up there, looking for things to do, but they can't leave because it is such an awesome place to live. So they've kind of ruined that station. Other places along the northern border might be a little bit easier, where you might only need to have 14 to 16 years in, but it's all about who you know, or who your dad or uncle is.

A LOT of guys were hired during the hiring push of 2007-2008 and they all pretty much got bent over with the Northern Border Intern program, where all these new guys went straight up to the northern border when a ton of more senior guys would have given anything to have moved up there. Now a days, most good stations up north only take 1 maybe up to 3 guys per year.

The second thing Ratatatat mentions is the 1811 positions. Yes and no on getting hired by these guys. You will have to have a degree, so there is that. But there are two other things to know as well. First, whenever a job announcement comes out for deportation officer, ICE, or DEA, etc. there are thousands of BP agents putting in for those slots. Everyone with pretty much the same resume. The Border Patrol (probably purposefully) doesn't give you many opportunities for professional development, so it's hard to stand out. Secondly, at least for deportation officer positions, if you are BP, your resume is moved to the bottom of the stack. There is an unofficial, back door agreement to hire BP guys last and hire guys off the street first to help curtail attrition. Having a BP background might actually hurt your chances of moving on to certain agencies. Yes, a ton of guys at my station have moved on to other jobs, but without the hiring restrictions, my station would probably be a ghost town as it seems as though around 60% to 70% of the guys here have resumes out to other agencies.

Comment

• Ratatatat
                Ratatatat commented
                Editing a comment
                Good insights but dude you're killing us with the bold font.

Absolutely spot on about one thing: the cookie doesn't crumble the same for everyone in the G. Some people get Sault Ste Marie or Blaine right off the bat, while others get cursed for mortal life in Nogales.

The 1811 ranks of some agencies are thick with former BP. So it can be done. Is it guaranteed? No. Several factors are involved, like skillset, politics, budgets, timing, and random luck.
                Last edited by Ratatatat; 11-17-2018, 08:01 AM.

Both are scheiss holes...
              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• Exbpa340
                Exbpa340 commented
                Editing a comment
                There are more than a few locations along the border that are more than serviceable to live.

• J2H
                J2H commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I probably shouldn't have grouped ALL the Southern locales... but I am right about Baltimore

I spent quite a few years as a Border Patrol Agent and worked at many locations along the border. The Border Patrol is an excellent way to get into federal law enforcement and would be an easy pick for me. Many will do a career in the Patrol but some will move onto greener pastures (the most competitive BPAs have education to go along with their experience). I can’t speak with any knowledge about Baltimore PD but as a BPA you should earn about a 100k a year once you hit full performance level (GS 12). You should promote up a grade every 52 weeks (1 year) until you reach GS 12. Then you will move up a step every year until you hit step 4 (steps 1-4). Then it’s every 2 years until you hit step 7 (steps 5-7). Then it’s 3 years from (steps 8-10). About a decade ago I was able to get picked up with a different federal agency in my hometown and feel truly blessed.

Also, I have a 22 year old son that is about 4 weeks out from completing his BS and will most likely be logging some time in green. He’s passed all the steps and has actually turned down a couple of locations/offers already because he wanted to complete his degree. How many Baltimore Police Officers would allow/encourage their children to follow their footsteps? Probably not many.

Just my two cents.
              Last edited by Exbpa340; 11-18-2018, 03:49 AM.
              “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
              DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

I am curious why you chose the Baltimore Police Department? Do you live there?

I am sure no one posting here works for BPD. You have heard a lot about the pros and cons of the Border Patrol but outside of media generated opinions, no one has given BPD a fair shake. Ratatatat gave an objective assessment that their pay is acceptable.

If you like the idea working for a tough, complex urban police department, then why not Oakland, CA? Or Detroit, MI, or Chicago, Il?
                semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10765 users online. 444 members and 10321 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X