Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a shot at being hired?

So some minor background on me,
    I always had the idea of becoming a LEO since I was child, but my job opportunities and schooling have taken me a different route. I am 21, but when I graduate I will be 22 and completing my bachelors of science degree in animal sciences. When I started college, I was pursuing becoming a veterinarian, but things have changed and I just want to finish the degree I started. I recently (literally 3 days ago), quit my job as an emergency medical technician in an inter-facility transport company to obtain a job in a biomedical laboratory. I had to really think about this decision, the EMT job provided a lot of public contact, a skill set that is valuable for LEOs and for public work, however, the lab offered me a much more generous salary and a better learning experience. I am a firm believer that there is ALWAYS something new to learn, however, I felt the EMT job was no longer challenging me. Now that I no longer have a job that exposes me to the public, I feel as if my outlook of being hired as a LEO is hindered.

I live in CA, I am fluent in English and Spanish. I would consider myself having a lot more work experience than the average college student. I participated in the family business of working construction and landscaping in high school, had an array of animal research jobs, and was an EMT for a year. I had nearly perfect grades in high school, however, my grades in college aren’t the best (I have a few F’s).

I have seen on this forum that becoming a LEO so young is discouraged and even may have less than favorable chances at being hired. However, I am STILL interested. The work environment, comradery, and challenges catch my interest as a career. The most favorable circumstance of getting hired would be being sponsored through an academy. Should I apply / do I even have a shot at the local city and county sheriff agencies in my area? Do I have a shot at being sponsored?

Apply it won’t hurt your chances. Try big departments like CHP

Comment

Originally posted by ric49 View Post
      So some minor background on me,
      I always had the idea of becoming a LEO since I was child, but my job opportunities and schooling have taken me a different route. I am 21, but when I graduate I will be 22 and completing my bachelors of science degree in animal sciences. When I started college, I was pursuing becoming a veterinarian, but things have changed and I just want to finish the degree I started. I recently (literally 3 days ago), quit my job as an emergency medical technician in an inter-facility transport company to obtain a job in a biomedical laboratory. I had to really think about this decision, the EMT job provided a lot of public contact, a skill set that is valuable for LEOs and for public work, however, the lab offered me a much more generous salary and a better learning experience. I am a firm believer that there is ALWAYS something new to learn, however, I felt the EMT job was no longer challenging me. Now that I no longer have a job that exposes me to the public, I feel as if my outlook of being hired as a LEO is hindered.

I live in CA, I am fluent in English and Spanish. I would consider myself having a lot more work experience than the average college student. I participated in the family business of working construction and landscaping in high school, had an array of animal research jobs, and was an EMT for a year. I had nearly perfect grades in high school, however, my grades in college aren’t the best (I have a few F’s).

I have seen on this forum that becoming a LEO so young is discouraged and even may have less than favorable chances at being hired. However, I am STILL interested. The work environment, comradery, and challenges catch my interest as a career. The most favorable circumstance of getting hired would be being sponsored through an academy. Should I apply / do I even have a shot at the local city and county sheriff agencies in my area? Do I have a shot at being sponsored?

Assuming there is nothing questionable in your background...I'd encourage you to apply! At first glance you appear to be a far more desirable candidate than most people your age or even several years older. Your language skills alone are a big plus. If nothing else, you'll get some experience going through the hiring process and will be better prepared a few years from now.

As far as giving up the EMT job to work in a lab...I'd say you had very sound reasons. I would not hold that against you in any way.

Good luck!

Comment

Based upon what you have written, I’d say go for it. You appear to bring some valuable skills and insight into the profession.

Comment

Animal Sciences you say? Sir, are you by chance the same guy who had an intimate experience with peanut butter and a dog? Kidding obviously, but yes there is an archived post on this website of someone having admitted to doing that.

In all seriousness just apply worst they can tell you is no.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8481 users online. 410 members and 8071 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X