300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispatcher as a first job?

Is applying to become a dispatcher reasonable for your first job? Will a degree help me here?

Yes and Yes. Especially if you are working for a smaller city of county. It’ll give you name recognition if you decide you want to work in LE and it will also show yo a different side of the job. That being said, if you are a crappy dispatcher everyone who works the road with you will know. Therefore, understand that if you do not do well as a dispatcher don’t expect the local police/sheriff department to want to hire you. Just my $.02

Comment

Oh yea. A degree always helps, but they are not usually required for Dispatcher jobs. They aren’t always required for local LE/Sheriff Jobs either. However, if you want to be competitive down the road, you’ll need a degree most likely.

Comment

I am going from 0083 to 2151 (Dispatcher) due to an injury sustained at work. I do get a slight raise so I am excited, plus I won't be outdoors, but I will miss traffic enforcement.
        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I was a dispatcher for almost ten years before I became an officer. It was an immense help in terms of learning the system, geography, everything. I'd highly recommend it as a stepping stone to the road for early experience in the field. Like they said above, do it right. If you're bad at dispatching, it'll hurt your future chances of getting on the road.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10382 users online. 444 members and 9938 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X